Search
Like Tree3Likes

4wd Short Course Motor Limits

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 4wd Short Course Motor Limits

hi. We’re starting up a 4wd short course clad at our indoor clay/dirt track. It’s small/medium sized and traction is about medium. We’re trying to decide on a motor limit, because we know open motor would get completely out of control very quickly.

So, if we were looking at KV limits, rattan turn limits, what would be a good starting point, that would save our track too much wear and the shinbones of our marshals? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Leave it open. Motor limits encourage things like "motor of the week" and runs up the cost of competing.
sport10 and billdelong like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

We had an open rule in the past. The track and building got damaged. Running a KV limit will help to eliminate/control motor wars. Most will end up running something sensorless and 4 pole.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd just say Traxxas Velineon VXL can or smaller (dimensions), 4-pole and not even worry about the rest of the stuff.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe ban 4 pole motors or sensorless motors then. As a track builder the 4x4 stadium trucks are what the SCT's should be based on, like the 2wd trucks are. The extra weight and horsepower of the 4x4s is the problem. Well and maybe some of the drivers preference to use the throttle like a switch.

Making a turn/Kv limit might turn it into stock where people are abusing their batteries for more punch.

If the fastest drivers aren't using the most powerful motors I wouldn't really worry about it.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

My thoughts, like others, only limit battery to 2s. For example. I put a 4600kv in my Truggy, et410. Nightmare to control. Installed a 8.5 turn motor, and turned a lot faster laps. Overpowering does not mean going faster. If you just want a number, 4300 kv is enough power even for 7 lb sct410.3/SCTE Shortcourse vehicles. And pretty much, nothing else will keep up with them, in the 4x4 Shortcourse world. Someone show up with a motor like that in something like a Slash, probably just eat their gearbox.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Ovestly I've always felt 3500kva motor on 2s 540cam to be perfect for inside. Kva similar to a 13.5 .and you still get the 4pole Punch. But I so agree 💯 with motor limiting get the leading to the motor of the week then what I dislike about stock classes. If I were you, I'd put in a rule the if you keep your truck under control then you get pulled from the class with no refund,( if you feel like giving them the refund. After words that fine but the threat may discouraged them from pushing the limits to much.)

Old 04-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

why not goto a spec motor? maybe something like this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-550-size.html

very affordable and not crazy out of control like some of the 4 pole, high KV stuff that's out there.
billdelong likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
why not goto a spec motor? maybe something like this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-550-size.html

very affordable and not crazy out of control like some of the 4 pole, high KV stuff that's out there.
^this

Either go open motor, or pick a spec motor.... best thing to happen at our club was when the owner decided to allow the Trinity Punisher (Outlaw) in the stock classes, this ended the motor war over night and now anyone who wants to be competitive simply runs the Punisher.

FWIW I have tried those Trackstar SCT motors in the past and they were pretty gutless, so if you wanted to pick an underwhelming motor with a weak rotor, then that would be a great pick!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Problem with a spec motor for 4x4 Shortcourse, is $$$. Yes, you can buy a tank SCTE or 410.3. 6.5 to 7 lbs. But if you go a spec class, people who spend a lot of $$$ to lighten them up, may have a unfair advantage. People be begging for a SCTE 2.0 / MIP chassis setup that is long out of production. I like Spec class for classes that have more common vehicles that can make the weight limits. But not for 4x4 Shortcourse. If you are going to do spec, then go all the way and do something like a Spec Slash class.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Originally Posted by sea1swk
Problem with a spec motor for 4x4 Shortcourse, is $$$. Yes, you can buy a tank SCTE or 410.3. 6.5 to 7 lbs. But if you go a spec class, people who spend a lot of $$$ to lighten them up, may have a unfair advantage. People be begging for a SCTE 2.0 / MIP chassis setup that is long out of production. I like Spec class for classes that have more common vehicles that can make the weight limits. But not for 4x4 Shortcourse. If you are going to do spec, then go all the way and do something like a Spec Slash class.
We have two places that do this in my area. One that closest to me runs a stock 2wd slash. Fresh out of the box no modification. They've been getting a more steadily increasing turnout in this class. Almost to the point of an a&b . Witch is impressive considering there is buggy is the only one that get that kinda turn out.

The other track that runs a spec/stock slash class runs 4x4 slash with the villennium system. I haven't ran there in years. But from what I heard it's always been a low turnout class. Often being exorb/ran with the open 4x4 sct. I also heard some rpm parts and mip parts are allowed. But nothing that changes the base geometry.

I'd say if you really comsern with damage from 4x4 sct on the track then just don't run them and assume the that guy that over powered his sct won't buy a 4x4 buggy and over power it.

Hey it could happen, there also far ezer to gear to the Moon with a 550 cam and those small little tires hahaha. Better stop thinking about it I might just want to and see what happens. Hahaha
Old 04-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't set a motor limit, because that encourages people to waste money hunting for the best motor that stays within the limit. Instead, spec a single motor for the class. Everyone gets the same horsepower, and they have to tune their trucks in other ways if they want to use that power more effectively.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

just do no 550 4 pole motors, so 550 2 pole or 540 4 pole are fair game. The pro4hd (550 4 pole) and equivalent motors are just insane
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seems like it would be easier to just make everyone run the same motor, or have a couple motor options based on vehicle weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.