Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Gearing recommendation for 1/10 buggy with SkyRC 8.5T brushless >

Gearing recommendation for 1/10 buggy with SkyRC 8.5T brushless

Gearing recommendation for 1/10 buggy with SkyRC 8.5T brushless

Old 04-02-2019, 03:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Gearing recommendation for 1/10 buggy with SkyRC 8.5T brushless

Hi guys,

Any recommendations on how I work out the best gearing for my HSP 1/10 buggy that I've put a SkyRC 8.5T brushless motor in? It came RTR with a brushed motor and HSP's standard setup (23T pinion, 64T spur).
In the doco that came with the car, HSP's gearing suggestion for their "PRO" setup (which is a 3300kv brushless motor) is for 19T pinion, 48T spur - but then they have a "PRO2" setup (metal gears) which are 26T pinion, 64T spur. Things that I've been reading refer to the fact that reducing the pinion teeth with take some top-end speed off and reduce load on the motor, which is what I feel like I should do (as it is, having just swapped out the motor, the thing fairly flies now!).

I know that I should change the gearing - just want to do what's best for the motor.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
Craig