Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stampede 2WD XL5 upgrade options for 8 year old daughter. >

Stampede 2WD XL5 upgrade options for 8 year old daughter.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

Stampede 2WD XL5 upgrade options for 8 year old daughter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default Stampede 2WD XL5 upgrade options for 8 year old daughter.

What are the options for upgrading the motor to brushless? Will the XL5 ESC run a brushless motor or will I have to upgrade the ESC and the motor? She loves puddles and after one too many her motor is binding. I will try to WD40 it but it's days are numbered.

Also her servo snapped off. I was thinking of buying a Power HD WP-23KG, good enough? It should be better than the factory one.

One last thing, are the factory wheels ok? They don't grip the best, hard to balance, and fill up with water easily and they are hard to dry out. If you recommend me changing them, let me know to what.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would stick with the brushed motor for a few reasons . a lot of the "cheaper" brushless setups are very fast and waterproof systems tend to be expensive. second is the brushed motors don't really mind water its not good for them but they wont die like when a brushless motor gets wet . The brushed motors are very cheap and are a good speed for a 8 year old . I would just replace it with another stock motor . as for a servo I would go with a name brand like a protek or savox they have some pretty good budget servos . Basically any other tire will be better than the stock ones , bur water is always going to be a problem because you need holes in the wheel or tire for them to work properly
Old 03-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racer56556
I would stick with the brushed motor for a few reasons . a lot of the "cheaper" brushless setups are very fast and waterproof systems tend to be expensive. second is the brushed motors don't really mind water its not good for them but they wont die like when a brushless motor gets wet . The brushed motors are very cheap and are a good speed for a 8 year old . I would just replace it with another stock motor . as for a servo I would go with a name brand like a protek or savox they have some pretty good budget servos . Basically any other tire will be better than the stock ones , bur water is always going to be a problem because you need holes in the wheel or tire for them to work properly
She has only played with the Stampede a handful of times and the motor is already binding. I found a cheap brushless combo, that supposed to be waterproof. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...000kv-80a.html

This is the servo I picked too, its cheap and much better than stock, or so it seems. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...13sec-58g.html

I also found a replacement servo from hobbyking for my vorza, it seems like a good one spec wise. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...13sec-58g.html

I have a drain hole in each tire and they are draining better but they are still wet inside after 3 days and I can still squeeze water out of them! how annoying. I drilled holes after the fact so maybe the centrifugal force will help drain them while she plays.

If you guys think that hobbyking stuff sucks let me know, I will buy different brands. As long as they are better than stock for now I am happy. I didn't buy anything yet they are just sitting in the cart. The downside of it is they are back ordered and it may be a while till they get here. I am not in a huge rush because I can get that stock motor cleaned and going again I think, and the servo seems to work even though its snapped right off its mounts. It doesn't work well but it works lol. I may glue it back on for now.

Here is what she likes to do with her Stampede. Is this too much water and asking for trouble? Stampede advertises as being waterproof so I would guess this is OK. I do worry about the soft pack battery but so far they are surviving. I take them out and dry them and keep them in a warm spot so they dry out internally too.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I would stick with a brushed motor as well. Use the money you would have spent on the brushless system to pick up a few extra servos.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ShopTech
I would stick with a brushed motor as well. Use the money you would have spent on the brushless system to pick up a few extra servos.
She literally played in puddles 3 or 4 times before it started seizing... Would I expect less than that from a brushed motor? She can control her throttle, speed is not an issue, she drives my vorza which is over 100kph but she knows how to control the speed. In the video her control is not as good because the servo is literally not held down by anything. I am just looking for better wet performance and more speed, she wants her truck faster. I will clean her current motor and lube it up and see how it works. Everything I am reading says brush-less is just as waterproof as brushed. I am guessing I just have not been maintaining the motor properly after she gets it wet.

I will dunk it in a cup and run it for a bit, dry it with an air compressor, ill then spray it down with an electronics / contact cleaner, dry it out again, and lube the shaft. That brushless motor is cheap. I will buy it and experiment with it too, so much conflicting info I guess I just need to find out for myself. I don't mind having spare gear and options. Those titans are cheap too I can easily get a few more as well. I might as well have spare servos too since those are what she broke first, I can expect them to break again.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

I’d probably lean toward Castle for the ESC motor combo, few bucks more but tried and true for bashers and they have very good customer service. Savox are good servos water resistant/water proof too. Buy nice or buy twice....

brushed mototrs will will run in water, that’s how you can break them in. I’d be checking if the binding isn’t something else in the drivetrain that’s gone.

make sure you holes are in the middle if you want the rotation to remove water and other crap from the tire.
Destructionist likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matty A
I’d probably lean toward Castle for the ESC motor combo, few bucks more but tried and true for bashers and they have very good customer service. Savox are good servos water resistant/water proof too. Buy nice or buy twice....

brushed mototrs will will run in water, that’s how you can break them in. I’d be checking if the binding isn’t something else in the drivetrain that’s gone.

make sure you holes are in the middle if you want the rotation to remove water and other crap from the tire.
I was looking at castle but I didn't feel ready to spend the money, I am trying a hobbyking combo for her, and I got her a hobbyking servo, I got myself one too. Just wanna get going again for cheap. My next ones will be quality if these suck! My servo doesn't seem to turn as well with these 3.8 wheels I threw on, it did at first but I need power power!
Old 04-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

You have an interesting approach.... your auxiliary gizmos: weight station and setting wheels cost a bomb but you go on the cheap side on the stuff that makes the car move. The servo you got for the vorza probably has less torque than the one it came with, for $12 bucks you got $5 bucks worth of servo and it’s most likely gonna crap on you at the worst moment.... I’d be aiming for at least 20kg but better toward 40kg given the 6s and the lead you got loaded on board. A shorter throw horn will help the torque but that’s another quick fix to cover the real issue. Buy nice....
Old 04-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will 4000kv be okay in 2wd stampede if it has 3.8s?

also I don't think brushless motors normally die in water unless it's sensored.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

You have an interesting approach.... your auxiliary gizmos: weight station and setting wheels cost a bomb but you go on the cheap side on the stuff that makes the car move. The servo you got for the vorza probably has less torque than the one it came with, for $12 bucks you got $5 bucks worth of servo and it’s most likely gonna crap on you at the worst moment.... I’d be aiming for at least 20kg but better toward 40kg given the 6s and the lead you got loaded on board. A shorter throw horn will help the torque but that’s another quick fix to cover the real issue. Buy nice....
I thought the one it came with is junk from the Vorza forum. I got a small heart attack reading that then I realized linked the servo I got for kiddo under my vorza. Here is the proper one I got myself, it is a bit better than kiddos.. it has gotta be better than stock too. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/full-siz...gh-torque.html

Oh man, my poor heart.

Originally Posted by Dave_S
Will 4000kv be okay in 2wd stampede if it has 3.8s?

also I don't think brushless motors normally die in water unless it's sensored.
Sorry, My vorza has 3.8s not the Stampede! The Stampede is stock except for a bumper and wheelie bar. I got 10,000mah 2S batteries in it. Sounds better now?
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

That servo sounds a bit better. A way to beef it up would be to increase the voltage from 6v to 7.2 if the ESC allows it. That does potentially bring other issues as previously mentioned but they can be fixed with either a cap or external BEC.
If only running 2s on the pede you could probably go even higher on the kv. The 4wd version come with 3500 but 3s so yours should handle say 4300kv with 2s. A guy at the track runs a light weight Tekno eb48.4 with a 4300kv motor 2s lipo and that thing rockets. The vid shows you have nice open areas so a little more power sounds good!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

I should get a BEC to run it on 8.4 volts! For some odd reason they don't list its specs at 8.4 volts just that it supports it. Would that be too much?
Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

That servo sounds a bit better. A way to beef it up would be to increase the voltage from 6v to 7.2 if the ESC allows it. That does potentially bring other issues as previously mentioned but they can be fixed with either a cap or external BEC.
If only running 2s on the pede you could probably go even higher on the kv. The 4wd version come with 3500 but 3s so yours should handle say 4300kv with 2s. A guy at the track runs a light weight Tekno eb48.4 with a 4300kv motor 2s lipo and that thing rockets. The vid shows you have nice open areas so a little more power sounds good!
I'll slowly ease her into the speed, she really likes going fast and always lets me know if she was driving in full throttle, all proud that she kept it in control haha. It is cute, I do have the d-box in there but she is definitely getting better. That video is with the servo broken off all 4 screws, its just sitting there lol. That stampede comes with a bigger pinion, I tried to fit it in there but I could't make it mesh, the mount doesn't let the motor move like mine does unless I have to remove that plastic ring, and it is there for newbs not to screw up the factory mesh. That will make it go fast with a 4000kv brushless! I just worry about heat on grass. Good thing its a cheap motor to learn on
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

id see how the servo goes at 7.2v before cranking it up.

As for the Stampede, I’d go for a system that allows 2S now and be fast but could handle 3s if you want to go nuts.... short grass isn’t an issue but the long stuff will heat things up a bit. Running through puddles is the same. These motors have instant max torque, more resistance more heat and load on motor and ESC.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:38 AM
Tech Adept

id see how the servo goes at 7.2v before cranking it up.

As for the Stampede, I’d go for a system that allows 2S now and be fast but could handle 3s if you want to go nuts.... short grass isn’t an issue but the long stuff will heat things up a bit. Running through puddles is the same. These motors have instant max torque, more resistance more heat and load on motor and ESC.
Thank you for the advice and I will take it. I already got her that esc and motor but my next one will be better if she blows it. We can consider it a sacrificial part to experiment with before I get a better one.
Matty A likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.