• 1 Post By brian8301
  • 1 Post By Davidka
  • 1 Post By mushroomed
  • 1 Post By brian8301

Ball diff help

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ball diff help

I知 putting together a new b6.1d kit. First time doing a ball diff. I snapped the long bolt that runs through the center of the diff that goes into the T nut. I知 not sure what I did wrong. The bolt was flush with the top of the T nut but the nut was about 1/4 inch from being pulled into the slot on the outdrive. It got tight, obviously. I thought maybe it was just the spring that needed to compress. I tried to tighten more and it snapped. I know I should致e stopped and tried to see if something was wrong. Stupid move on my part. If anyone has any ideas on what I did I would appreciate it while I知 waiting for new parts to show up. Thanks in advance
mushroomed likes this.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Usually the manual suggests compressing the spring with pliers before assembling the diff.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

You should be able to feel it when the spring bottoms out. Do not run it with the spring bottomed out and do not attempt to tighten it any farther for any reason. When it bottoms out, back off 1/4 turn and do a break in (read the sticky), after that it can be as much as 1/2 turn to bottom out. Bottom the spring again, then back away 1/8 turn. Run it until it needs to be freshened up again.
JeepnMike likes this.

Last edited by Davidka; 03-25-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I thought the T nut had to be all the way down in the slots of the outdrives.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brian8301 View Post
Thanks for the help. I thought the T nut had to be all the way down in the slots of the outdrives.
Not built an Associated ball diff yet (first one this weekend) but in the TLR the T nut goes down until it is snug. I would have thoughtto the b6.1 diff will as well, but they are often a tight fit and you only need a little flashing and it will stop it. My advice would be to assemble the nut in the outdrives first and check it fits ok.
As others have said you will feel the spring bottom out then follow the instructions to back it out and bed in.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is also possible that if any of the diff balls fell out of position, then they could be jammed in front of the diff plate, This would cause the diff to tighten early, and snap the bolt if you kept tightening to try to make the t-nut go all the way into the slot.

Trim any excess plastic flashing from the t-nut, then use a driver sideways between the slots to push the t-nut all the way down into the slot before you start tightening the diff.

You can also build the diff with a driver already in place on the bolt, some light pressure will help keep the diff together before the bolt is tightened.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brian8301, Your right the plastci t-nut should bottom out in the outdrive. I've had that same bolt break during driving. Replaced with new bolt and never happen again. Just chalk it up to china quality hardware.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Last edited by a1; 04-01-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

After getting my new bolt I realized I had the t nut on the wrong side of the diff. Switched it around and it went smooth as silk. Thanks everyone!!
Pistol123 likes this.