Wiki Posts
Search

Running front springs in rear on buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Running front springs in rear on buggy

Hey, so I only race on carpet, which means my ride height is low - 16mm. Last night I put a spare set of springs that I had for the front, on the back. The back ones I couldn't adjust below 18mm. And sure enough, I can get adjustment around 15-18mm, which is what I want.

Assuming the rating of the springs is the same, should I expect to feel a difference? Has anyone done this before?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Front springs are much stiffer than rear. It can be done but if you were to put say an associated red v2 (kit spring on b6.1) on the rear that is almost 2x stiffer than the rear v2 blue. (4.6 to 2.85). Xray makes some springs that are shorter (57mm rear) that work well to get low ride height. The other option is to cut the spring but only do that if you have to - never plan on needing taller again.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Why can't you get below 18mm? Are you using the shortest spring cup and raised axles?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E-Mann
Front springs are much stiffer than rear. It can be done but if you were to put say an associated red v2 (kit spring on b6.1) on the rear that is almost 2x stiffer than the rear v2 blue. (4.6 to 2.85). Xray makes some springs that are shorter (57mm rear) that work well to get low ride height. The other option is to cut the spring but only do that if you have to - never plan on needing taller again.
I don't suggest cutting springs because it changes the rate . Are you running the lowest spring cups already ? what car is this on ?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

It's on my 22 4.0. Yes, smallest cups and shock ends.

I guess my question is this. I see a lot of setups with AE v2 Gray rear shocks. They are 2.2#/in. I would like to try that setup. I have that sleeve of springs that TLR sells and the front pink ones in there are rated for 2.3#/in. I put it in last night and I can get my ride height correct.

So my question is....this spring should behave almost like the AE gray rear that I see on a lot of setups for carpet on the rear.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Are you sure it “works”? A front spring is too short for a rear shock’s stroke length. If you’re reaching the desired low ride height, I can’t see how the spring is long enough to extend the shock to its full length. The spring would also be much more progressive, making it too stiff at the end of the stroke. If you’re limiting your rear shock stroke a lot, that might be different.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Are you sure it “works”? A front spring is too short for a rear shock’s stroke length. If you’re reaching the desired low ride height, I can’t see how the spring is long enough to extend the shock to its full length. The spring would also be much more progressive, making it too stiff at the end of the stroke. If you’re limiting your rear shock stroke a lot, that might be different.
Well it works. But you are exactly right. The only downfall I found is waht you said. When jumping and the suspension is completely extended, the springs aren't engaged due to length. I found that this didn't hinder my driving. It worked really well overall.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I've seen this problem with the TEKNO EB410 ran on turf, the platform was designed to run on dirt tracks but there are aftermarket upgrades from Vision Racing Products to increase the height of the shock towers to still use stock shock parts and get lower ride height in the 12-14mm range. Many different ways to get good performing setups for high traction carpet and turf
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bgymr
Well it works. But you are exactly right. The only downfall I found is waht you said. When jumping and the suspension is completely extended, the springs aren't engaged due to length. I found that this didn't hinder my driving. It worked really well overall.
Interesting. I can see how a more progressive spring curve could be useful on a super high grip surface (similar to how 2wd buggies use sway bars on carpet, but not on dirt). Keep playing with it! You may be on to something.

To billdelong's point above, one relatively easy change could be to use the B6.1"D" rear shock tower, which is sized for the longer rear shocks. Then you could couple it with long eyelets and the shorter length shocks and maybe get to the desired ride height while still having all of your travel sprung.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A few things you could do . 1 put some spacers under the tower to raise it up . I saw this done a while back on a losi team drivers setup . basically making the tower taller lowering the ride height 2 is put rear hubs made for a b6.1 on it . you probably will find running the ride height as low as you are that the rear bones are not level at ride height . The AE style hubs have adjustment to fix this losi hubs do not .
Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Oops, I forgot you're running the TLR so obviously my shock tower suggestion is out..
Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Which rear hubs are you running? If you are using the dirt hubs instead of carpet hubs you will not be able to get down to the ride height you want. If you are running and can't seem to get the ride height to take a set look into bleeding the rear shocks. They build pressure and make the ride height creep. You can also put shims under the rear shock tower to lower ride. Instead of front springs, spend the money on carpet springs from Yokomo. They are shorter and the appropriate rates.

What setup do you run?
Old 03-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

I like to try different stuff, so I really wanted to see what would happened. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest for someone to try it on a track similar to mine (smaller with a good amount of jumps, the biggest one being a double 8 feet long).

I thought I could get there by jacking up the rear tower, but that would raise the CG. The shorter springs lowered the CG a bit. I didn't know they had different hubs, I'll check it out tonight. But doubt I'll change the springs, I really like the feel of the car.

This is really similar to my setup. I changed the trail setting on the front, and run a little shorter wheelbase. http://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/S...d_SCVRC201804/

Is it a must for the rear bones to be level? Whats the downfall?

I'm new to this if you guys can't tell!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

did your setup work. thats about it .yes or not so much. if it did run it. used oddball springs in other rc on carpet.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by bgymr
I thought I could get there by jacking up the rear tower, but that would raise the CG.
How so? If the net effect of raising the tower reduces the ride height, then isn't that effectively reducing the CG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.