Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd Buggy recommendation for on road >

2wd Buggy recommendation for on road

2wd Buggy recommendation for on road

Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2wd Buggy recommendation for on road

Hey all, looking for a recommendation for a 2wd buggy for *on-road* use. I donít have any tracks nearby so racing is not an option. The local roads are ďokĒ (not broken but with enough bumps and seams to potentially upset an on road car), so I figure a 2wd buggy might be a good compromise and work for my conditions.

Any recommendations for on a good 2wd buggy for this? I guess this would be a high grip, and I donít anticipate crazy jumps or intense bashing and crashing. I am looking for excellent acceleration and tight turning on asphalt.

Open to any price range. I would love 8th scale but not aware of any options so I guess 10th scale will have to do.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

any off-road car or truck... as on-road "IS" off- road on pavement.. or OFF-Road being On-road... same but different footing.

even dirt tires will work, not the BEST but will work fine for NOT racing.

in fact..
after our dirt race.. we go on the blacktop to burn off the mud.. tight turns and high speed straights
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you won't compete with it, take a look at some of the Re-Releases from Schumacher, Kyosho and Tamiya. IMO, those are blast to have fun with unless you try to run them on modern high grip tracks.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/-road...r-astute-2018/
https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-an...kit-p-tam58628
https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...chk178/p864779
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...30616b/p537167
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

I would look at a superseded race kit that is on sale, or a like new second hand race car. Something like the Kyosho Ultima RB6.6 or Team Associated RC10 B6 (if you can find one) or TLR 22 4.0 (or 3.0 if you can find one). While I agree that the Tamiya rereleases are great fun (and have a few...) you are limited on the gearing and motor choice, and they are more fragile.

The main advantages to the race kits are that they are really durable and will survive/are more likely to survive crashing into kerbs etc. They handle jumps well (and lets face it who doesn't like jumping stuff) and will allow you to be as fast or slow as you want. You can easily swap out spurs to get the right FDR for whatever motor which you can't do with an entry level kit and the drivetrains are bulletproof. These advantages all apply when compared to a modern entry level kit or a rerelease.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Any 1/8 buggy can be converted into a GT8, of course you can buy any GT8 platform as well and increase the ride height to match most 2WD Buggy's as well, here's an example of a GT8 that was converted to a 4WD SCT and ran on a 1/8 track with big air and for a basher, the Exceed MadDrift wouldn't be a bad option to consider as well, far more durable than any 2WD Buggy and more versatile as well: