Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

I just ordered a Vorza!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Looking through the Vorza thread, I am starting to worry my battery's top may hit the case haha. Dammit. I guess I just have to wait and hope for the best. I do have a question on it tho, lots of people keep saying that 6S is too much and it's hard to control and it will smoke the ESC... but it was my understanding that 6S 75C means it can deliver so many volts and amps if the ESC asks it to, it won't force more power onto the ESC, and you can also tame the power by Expo rates, limit the throttle power, and also use punch control in the ESC to stay in control, I also will have a d-box 2 around if that remains an issue.. so why all the fuss? What am I missing? I got 6S to have the option of power if I want it, and when I don't I can benefit of longer run times. Can someone shed some light on this?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Destructionist
Looking through the Vorza thread, I am starting to worry my battery's top may hit the case haha. Dammit. I guess I just have to wait and hope for the best. I do have a question on it tho, lots of people keep saying that 6S is too much and it's hard to control and it will smoke the ESC... but it was my understanding that 6S 75C means it can deliver so many volts and amps if the ESC asks it to, it won't force more power onto the ESC, and you can also tame the power by Expo rates, limit the throttle power, and also use punch control in the ESC to stay in control, I also will have a d-box 2 around if that remains an issue.. so why all the fuss? What am I missing? I got 6S to have the option of power if I want it, and when I don't I can benefit of longer run times. Can someone shed some light on this?
It’s not that 6s is hard to control. Just 6s for the average person just learning is a handful. Most just starting seem to use the trigger like an on/off switch. It’s full throttle or nothing. There’s an obsession with speed that everyone goes through. Some never get passed it, most learn that while going super fast is great, usable speed is more important. I get the impression that you have common sense, you should be fine.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

It’s not that 6s is hard to control. Just 6s for the average person just learning is a handful. Most just starting seem to use the trigger like an on/off switch. It’s full throttle or nothing. There’s an obsession with speed that everyone goes through. Some never get passed it, most learn that while going super fast is great, usable speed is more important. I get the impression that you have common sense, you should be fine.
I get you. I think I will be ok in that regard. I stress throttle control to kiddo and she is learning with her RWD stampede to tell when she is giving too much. I also setup obstacle courses for her to navigate slowly through. I think my next investment will be a new transmitter and receiver. I know nothing about them other than the good ones have finer controls and profiles. I wan't to be able to setup tame profiles to let her have fun with the vorza too.

I want the ability to be able to set the LVD cutoff and punch control, breaking, etc. I am not sure if I have to connect it to a computer or if I can set those with just the controls on the receiver. I am still in 2011 reading the vorza forum but I don't think I have hit the update from that time, and I also think there was one more update when they switched brands of ESC. I want to have the tools I need to do that here. Do you know what if I can control all the ESC settings without tools, and what tools are used for doing it through the computer? I see there are also standalone tools, that would be awesome. It would be more cool if it can program multiple brands of ESCs.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Oh boy. Ok. Yes. There are esc that can be adjusted by computer, WiFi and programming cards. I never could count the flashing lights and make that way work. Think the Vorza used a Castle esc back when I got mine. I’ll have to look. There was a link system to adjust the esc. Hard to say what Hpi is using now.

If you think you will end up with multiple vehicles, then moving to better controller is good idea. This can be complicated choice and a wide range of prices. There are all kinds of settings with controller. However, changing controller means buying a receiver for each vehicle.

Found few of my old videos for it.

Stable enuff to not not worry about running a body.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Oh boy. Ok. Yes. There are esc that can be adjusted by computer, WiFi and programming cards. I never could count the flashing lights and make that way work. Think the Vorza used a Castle esc back when I got mine. I’ll have to look. There was a link system to adjust the esc. Hard to say what Hpi is using now.

If you think you will end up with multiple vehicles, then moving to better controller is good idea. This can be complicated choice and a wide range of prices. There are all kinds of settings with controller. However, changing controller means buying a receiver for each vehicle.

Found few of my old videos for it.

Stable enuff to not not worry about running a body.
Cool videos! Yeah it looks like a fun machine! I believe they moved to a hobbywing ESC after that, I am not sure where they are at now either, reading reading. I was looking at controllers, oh boy, we opened a can of worms. Telemetry looks like a must have to me. 3 temp sensors and that is really all I care about.. alarms going off when overheating, battery voltage too I suppose.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Cool videos! Yeah it looks like a fun machine! I believe they moved to a hobbywing ESC after that, I am not sure where they are at now either, reading reading. I was looking at controllers, oh boy, we opened a can of worms. Telemetry looks like a must have to me. 3 temp sensors and that is really all I care about.. alarms going off when overheating, battery voltage too I suppose.
I’ve never used the telemetry feature on any car. A simple $10 temp gun works just fine. Voltage could be useful. Over the years I just learned a time frame for runtimes. Lots of speedruns means short runtimes. Usually I could get 20-30 minutes

if its a Hobbywing esc, there should be a program box for it. Once in last couple years did I start to mess with esc setting. Makes difference in on road. Never done any with my off road vehicles
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

I’ve never used the telemetry feature on any car. A simple $10 temp gun works just fine. Voltage could be useful. Over the years I just learned a time frame for runtimes. Lots of speedruns means short runtimes. Usually I could get 20-30 minutes

if its a Hobbywing esc, there should be a program box for it. Once in last couple years did I start to mess with esc setting. Makes difference in on road. Never done any with my off road vehicles
Yeah I am sure experience and a gun would suffice, but I am a total newb, with a couple of grand invested in this. I don't know how often to check or what to expect, I don't know if I would recognize if something went wrong. Say I play for an hour today and temp is fine, then tomorrow 5 minutes in something is wrong causing excessive heat but my lack of experience doesn't catch it and I assume its fine... next thing you know i am freaking out in a park with a ball of fire on the ground and an empty bladder so I don't even have pee to help put it out. That terrifies me. Telemetry would be awesome if it can set to sound alarms before things are critical! If it protects my 2000$ investment, it would be worh paying a couple of hundred dollars for that feature that may help protect it no? It would be useful to even have the data over time and see well 3 months ago it was running on average 15 degrees cooler, maybe its time to oil the bearings or change diff oil.. stuff like that.

All you the well experience guys that have been doing this before telemetry even existed would probably be laughing at me because they learned the hard way, and don't need expensive gear to notice something weird early. Me? last RC car I had I was like 8 and it was worse than anything you can buy at a toy shop today. I get nervous driving a car that i've put 2 grand into that can do 100 kph and crash into a wall and get destroyed haha. I feel comfort in getting fancy gear that may help prevent disaster for a newb, and I strongly believe the information telemetry can provide is useful (but not essential) in the long run for experts as well, although even if it would be for completely different reasons. I think it is a nice luxury.

My profession is a computer tech, so I love tech I would definitely want to get an esc programmer to tinker but I need to make sure its works with what I get! I am quite confident it is a hobbywing esc but I don't know what model yet, one programmer doesn't look like it would work on all. Ill have to dig some more to see if I can find an exact model.

I wish the P4X was still available after seeing it.. the P7X is so god damn pricey here, its $1000 CAD! After seeing those LCD screens and their reviews its like a must have. All the high end ones are pricey as hell but don't look nearly as good as that! 7 channels! So that is 5 extra to play with, but it seems from reading on their website you can actually have multiple devices on a single channel. I need to understand that before I go ahead thinking for me to be able to eventually get the Tekno body with, telemetry, remotely control lights, mechanical break, and whatever other accessories that I discover exist, that I would need a 7 channel remote and reciever... but then again if the P4X is not available.. only the P7X left that makes me really drool.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Prophet

How you drive will effect motor temps. Run flat out for long periods and things get hot. Use throttle in short bursts and temps should stay reasonable. Gearing will effect heat. Plus not a lot of airflow though body. Temp sensor wouldn’t hurt. I usually check temps every 10-15 minutes with a new vehicle. Depending on how I’m using it. Lots of long throttle, then I expect more heat. Short bursts and temps should stay reasonable. I used to always look for the biggest area. But found that big space meant I ran faster longer, and got shorter runtimes. I found staying in a 100-200 foot area worked great. Room to get speed, but still keep temps under control.

I’ll be using a Futaba 4PV this summer with a few vehicles. The new 7 model looks impressive. But I doubt I’d ever use even a fraction of its capabilities. I like simple. Just relax and have fun with it.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

How you drive will effect motor temps. Run flat out for long periods and things get hot. Use throttle in short bursts and temps should stay reasonable. Gearing will effect heat. Plus not a lot of airflow though body. Temp sensor wouldn’t hurt. I usually check temps every 10-15 minutes with a new vehicle. Depending on how I’m using it. Lots of long throttle, then I expect more heat. Short bursts and temps should stay reasonable. I used to always look for the biggest area. But found that big space meant I ran faster longer, and got shorter runtimes. I found staying in a 100-200 foot area worked great. Room to get speed, but still keep temps under control.

I’ll be using a Futaba 4PV this summer with a few vehicles. The new 7 model looks impressive. But I doubt I’d ever use even a fraction of its capabilities. I like simple. Just relax and have fun with it.
Yeah the 7 is crazy, but they don't make the 4PX, I love the big color screen and that is the only next option. It is definitely not happening any time soon. It would be months before I afford a controller, but I like to figure out what I will be saving for lol. I need to rob a bank...
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Yeah the 7 is crazy, but they don't make the 4PX, I love the big color screen and that is the only next option. It is definitely not happening any time soon. It would be months before I afford a controller, but I like to figure out what I will be saving for lol. I need to rob a bank...
After 100 plus vehicles in need the keys to Fort Knox. Banks don’t hold enuff.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

After 100 plus vehicles in need the keys to Fort Knox. Banks don’t hold enuff.
100 is quite a bit. Good on you. I'll be looking for you for my thousand and one newb annoying questions. Prepare to be bombarded with private messages! Haha, just kidding. I won't bother you But if you want to take on Fort Knox you know where to find me!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Tech Prophet

100 is quite a bit. Good on you. I'll be looking for you for my thousand and one newb annoying questions. Prepare to be bombarded with private messages! Haha, just kidding. I won't bother you But if you want to take on Fort Knox you know where to find me!
Not the best with technical stuff. But lot of drive time with wide range of vehicles.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Not the best with technical stuff. But lot of drive time with wide range of vehicles.
I think I will be alright, I like to figure things out and read about things. All I need is a nudge in the right direction sometimes or a better understanding of something I read about. I can read and learn technical stuff and so can you if you need to. I can't read and gain experience, which is what you have and is priceless!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

I got some stuff today! OMG those batteries and wheels are HUGE! I only see pictures of stuff and videos, it looks so much bigger in person!!! (that's what she says) I am still missing lots of stuff and the car, I posted a picture to exercise my new found picture upload privileges.

Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Ok so I got those batteries from google searches trying to find the biggest batteries that fit. I should have done my homework better so I only have myself to blame but the dimensions are too big for the battery tray. Is there usually leeway in the tray? Are there any optional trays I can get that will fit? can I cut my tray in half to increase the width? These were shipped from China, I have not looked up the return policy but I would rather make them work if I can and it is not too much trouble. The manual states the dimensions are 160x51x50 mm and the battery from the website is 170x69x48 mm. Is it a hopeless case trying to make it fit? I am so dumb...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.