Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MX304

Mbx8eco or Rc8b3.1e

Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Best eTruggy

Just looking for some opinions on eTruggy and eBuggy kits

Last edited by KeeneRc; 02-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I like the mugen... Super reliable, plus a lot of the other buggies out there are copies of the mugen. Been running mugen since the m-spec mbx6 eco.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

can't go wrong with either one. The RC8B3.1 is pretty much a carbon copy minus the suspension geometry. Heck, the MBX8T Eco and the RC8T3.1e are twins as well!!! lol
Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Both are high quality. For me, the AE's different geometry makes it easier to drive. I struggle with the Mugen.
tedstryker likes this.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Parts for the AE much cheaper
Old 02-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SgtGoody View Post
Parts for the AE much cheaper
+1 on that, they are both really nice, the kits might cost similar but spares for Mugen are higher cost, so depending on your crashing level or how often you rebuild, the AE comes out ahead in my book. I got one in January ran it a couple of club races and starting to get it dialed in.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

My 2 buddies I pit with, one has the Mugen, one the Associated. Virtually identical cars, both fast, but the Associated has slopped out way faster than the Mugen.

If your LHS stocks Mugen, then go w/the Mugen. If not, Associated would probably be better. If they don't stock parts for either, Mugen.

Both great cars FWIW.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Built both surprisingly the AE was a better build imo....
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

I agree with ''AE slops out too quickly.'' At this point, with all the varieties of plastic out there, it has to be done on purpose. Planned obsolescence. Straight from GM's play book.

Get the Mugen.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I agree with ''AE slops out too quickly.'' At this point, with all the varieties of plastic out there, it has to be done on purpose. Planned obsolescence. Straight from GM's play book.
If this is true (that the AE doesn't wear as long), it's almost certainly a front end material cost control.

They must still compete with other brands, especially Mugen, since they are essentially a clone.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For those that have driven these and other brands.... how do they compare in driving the tekno and X-ray buggies?

I know, in 1/10th scale, the yokomo 4wd has amazing cornering abilities compared to the AE. The suspension is way better on the yokomos as well. However the AE is much more durable. So I am curious to hear how people feel the 1/8th tekno and AE compare in driving.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
For those that have driven these and other brands.... how do they compare in driving the tekno and X-ray buggies?

I know, in 1/10th scale, the yokomo 4wd has amazing cornering abilities compared to the AE. The suspension is way better on the yokomos as well. However the AE is much more durable. So I am curious to hear how people feel the 1/8th tekno and AE compare in driving.
The pivot ball suspension cars like the AE, Mugen and XRay drive completely differently from a Tekno. I haven't driven the newest Xray, but I felt the '18 edition I drove was similar to my AE.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That is what I am curious about. For those that have had the chance to drive a current pillow ball car and then something
like the Tekno. Does one feel lighter, more nimble than the other? Does one feel to have more cornering capability? Does one feel more twitchy? I drove AE outdoor cars last year. Over the winter I switched indoor cars (carpet off-road) from AE to yokomo. Just recently I switched back to AE. I thought the yokomo cars were excellent but I felt more comfortable in the AE car. I could turn a quicker single lap in the yokomos....but over the course of the race, I ran better with the AE. I like to try different cars and see how they differ. 15 years ago I don’t know that I could have noticed a difference in one or the other. However after driving/racing way more often now and running just about every class there is to run around here. I am finally starting understand what the car does and what it would need to work better for me. 3 years ago I thought spring changes would not make a huge difference. Now I can tell when it needs to be softer or stiffer. So I am trying to push myself to become better by trying different cars.