Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing) >

A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

Like Tree210Likes

A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

Reply

Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 PM
  #361  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 8,110
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Another thought, ...seems like we all complain about online hobby retailers hurting the LHS. Seems like the big online hobby retailers ought to be opening tracks to support the hobby they are selling to. Amain hobbies has a track, so I applaud them. Seems like Tower should have opened or supported a track, ....hobbyking?

I love the previous post about a national organization to promote our hobby. Would be great to televise some events too.
Since the CEO of Horizon suddenly died last fall. Horizon has been in a holding pattern. His son has been running things.


You can watch rc racing live on YouTube. Lucky if 1,000 watch.

The national organization seems to big to even get off the ground. Think there complaining about ROAR. We couldnít even get tracks/clubs in same state to acknowledge each other. All end up scheduled on same days.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 PM
  #362  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,589
Default

Need a real race announcer for the youtube vids. Too often the commentary is exactly what our own eyes are seeing. I don't need commentary ''car 3 flipped over'' No kidding, I can see that.

Even worse is RC's best RD, that just screams over the mic the whole race.

Watching RC on youtube is about as much fun a having teeth pulled. Although the IFMAR Vegas Nitrobuggy Worlds coverage was pretty good.

Anyone on the mic at a big race needs to watch some old indy car, CART, or Champ Car races that had David Hobbs as the commentator. IMO, the best one around.
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 AM
  #363  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 966
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I like the suggestion of Roar or IFMAR stepping in to contact local officials to talk about a land grant. You figure an on road or offroad track plus parking and pit would only need what, 2 acres? All we need is the land, Race fees can cover the rest on site.
Double D Donuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 AM
  #364  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (136)
 
timannnn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,206
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

If 30 manufacturers could pool their money together, say...1k per month. That's 30k per month for rent (not that you need that much). Gives them a track (or multiple tracks) to promote their products and keeps RC alive. Then have sanctioning body hold races and promote the heck out of it. Make it an awesome facility(s)! A large collaboration if you will.
Phillip F and eR1c like this.
timannnn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 AM
  #365  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,130
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Since the CEO of Horizon suddenly died last fall. Horizon has been in a holding pattern. His son has been running things.


You can watch rc racing live on YouTube. Lucky if 1,000 watch.

The national organization seems to big to even get off the ground. Think there complaining about ROAR. We couldn’t even get tracks/clubs in same state to acknowledge each other. All end up scheduled on same days.
I get Horizon may be in a hold pattern, but there are a lot of online hobby retailers making a lot of money, my point is they ought to be the ones driving some of this. Another question, does Traxxas have a public track? -Seems like they ought to.

YouTube is not what I mean, I mean on ESPN or ESPN 2 or whatever they call it. I was watching girls college softball on ESPN yesterday while eating dinner. I don't think its a hugely popular sport, in fact the stands looked like a high school game, they were not packed, but it was televised and I really enjoyed watching it. I often see many sports and hobbies on ESPN including gambling, golf, tennis, high school world series baseball, drone racing (yes I've seen this on ESPN), bowling, etc.. ..seems like they ought to televise some of the big RC events on TV/ESPN. Get a real announcer, do a little backstory into some of the drivers, make it interesting. Heck there are 53 TV shows about cooking, -I personally can't stand to watch people cook food. Just seems that RC racing would be interesting and would capture a huge audience if done right. LiveRC is great, -but only us hobbyists are aware of it.

Maybe ROAR ought to be the ones who start the grassroots efforts? I think I read that ROAR was handing out 25,000 memberships at one point, I think the number is around 10,000 per year now. At $35 each, isn't that a butt load of money they are making? I am sure they are paying the actual insurance policy, BUT I would think they have the money to get something going??? It would be in their best interest.

Last edited by eR1c; 05-05-2019 at 08:22 AM.
eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 AM
  #366  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,130
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

at the end of the day, I still see a few current options,
1) build your own track if you have the land and invite local friends and start your own informal club (I plan to do this at some point) -both on-road and off.
2) build your own 1/24th scale track ...if you have a garage or flat backyard this is feasible and doesn't cost more than about $50, $300 if you want an RCP track (my 1/24th track rocks!)
3) support the tracks that are still up and running (I drive 100 miles each way to race at an awesome track that still gets 15-20 racers each race day). I am supporting them as much as I can.
Scrubb and Panther6834 like this.
eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:57 AM
  #367  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 8,110
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I get Horizon may be in a hold pattern, but there are a lot of online hobby retailers making a lot of money, my point is they ought to be the ones driving some of this. Another question, does Traxxas have a public track? -Seems like they ought to.

YouTube is not what I mean, I mean on ESPN or ESPN 2 or whatever they call it. I was watching girls college softball on ESPN yesterday while eating dinner. I don't think its a hugely popular sport, in fact the stands looked like a high school game, they were not packed, but it was televised and I really enjoyed watching it. I often see many sports and hobbies on ESPN including gambling, golf, tennis, high school world series baseball, drone racing (yes I've seen this on ESPN), bowling, etc.. ..seems like they ought to televise some of the big RC events on TV/ESPN. Get a real announcer, do a little backstory into some of the drivers, make it interesting. Heck there are 53 TV shows about cooking, -I personally can't stand to watch people cook food. Just seems that RC racing would be interesting and would capture a huge audience if done right. LiveRC is great, -but only us hobbyists are aware of it.

Maybe ROAR ought to be the ones who start the grassroots efforts? I think I read that ROAR was handing out 25,000 memberships at one point, I think the number is around 10,000 per year now. At $35 each, isn't that a butt load of money they are making? I am sure they are paying the actual insurance policy, BUT I would think they have the money to get something going??? It would be in their best interest.
I almost mentioned Traxxas in last post. They would be the one in position to own tracks. With what they spend on sponsoring cars and at real racing events. The fact that they donít tells me a lot. Tamiya had a track, closed last year. But they still sponsor their series.

Considering the ROAR insurance, there more then few posts here about problems just getting membership updated. It was a health reason. And new people have moved, read that here, they got a lot to catch up on.

I looked up what drone racing was getting on espn. Itís stayed level at around 300,000 viewers. Problem is that the average view just checking it out watches an average of 6 minutes. Then moved on. Iíve watched it number of times. The FPV views are cool. But itís hard to really get a feel for it. Then they pan back to the drivers, 4-5 people sitting in chairs with goggles on.

Putting a RC race on espn. It would have the same effect. One thing RC racing doesnít have, that does draw in people to watch, is risk. People watched NASCAR looking for the wreckage. To the see ďand they walked awayĒ.


https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/18/...ertain-future/
eR1c likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM
  #368  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,589
Default

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
I like the suggestion of Roar or IFMAR stepping in to contact local officials to talk about a land grant. You figure an on road or offroad track plus parking and pit would only need what, 2 acres? All we need is the land, Race fees can cover the rest on site.

ROAR is dead, and IFMAR is a world away.

City parks need an end user to be responsible for the track before they'll take you seriously.
eR1c likes this.
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 PM
  #369  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 966
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
ROAR is dead, and IFMAR is a world away.

City parks need an end user to be responsible for the track before they'll take you seriously.
Doesn't each ROAR region have a manager kind of person? It should be them, that reaches out to state officials - but in this hypothetical situation it comes down to the racers going to that ROAR delegate to find a location for their state.
Double D Donuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM
  #370  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 8,110
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
Doesn't each ROAR region have a manager kind of person? It should be them, that reaches out to state officials - but in this hypothetical situation it comes down to the racers going to that ROAR delegate to find a location for their state.
Post made my curious. Yes there are regional directors, but itís a big area. Illinois is one of 7 States in a region. How one person can do much in area that size, well

heres link

ROAR Racing
Billy Kelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM
  #371  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,589
Default

Would be easier to get the Easter Bunny.
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 PM
  #372  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Panther6834's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Would be easier to get the Easter Bunny.
Easter--schmeaster, I want a leprechaun.
Panther6834 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 AM
  #373  
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 877
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
at the end of the day, I still see a few current options,
1) build your own track if you have the land and invite local friends and start your own informal club (I plan to do this at some point) -both on-road and off.
2) build your own 1/24th scale track ...if you have a garage or flat backyard this is feasible and doesn't cost more than about $50, $300 if you want an RCP track (my 1/24th track rocks!)
3) support the tracks that are still up and running (I drive 100 miles each way to race at an awesome track that still gets 15-20 racers each race day). I am supporting them as much as I can.
Your doing it right!
eR1c likes this.
Scrubb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:12 AM
  #374  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Panther6834's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
at the end of the day, I still see a few current options,
1) build your own track if you have the land and invite local friends and start your own informal club (I plan to do this at some point) -both on-road and off.
2) build your own 1/24th scale track ...if you have a garage or flat backyard this is feasible and doesn't cost more than about $50, $300 if you want an RCP track (my 1/24th track rocks!)
3) support the tracks that are still up and running (I drive 100 miles each way to race at an awesome track that still gets 15-20 racers each race day). I am supporting them as much as I can.
Honestly, i love your ideas, and, if more RCers had the available land, I have a strong feeling many would be willing to do just that...unfortunately, it would be my guess that few...probably, very few...have available land to do that, especially those living in medium-to-large cities, where land is a 'premium', and incredibly expensive. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "The true value of a house isn't so much the house, itself, but the land it sits on."I

IfI had few acres of land, I'd gladly build a track...heck, a couple of tracks (off-road, on-road). However, I live in a large city (one of the largest in the country), where land is super-premium. Thankfully, there is a local shop (NorCal Hobbies) with an excellent indoor clay off-road track, plus they set up an outdoor on-road track on various weekends. At the same time, like most other LHSs/tracks, one never knows what might happen down the road. While it's possible they could still be operating 20-30 years from now, they could also go out--of-business on a moment's notice (hopefully not).
Panther6834 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM
  #375  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,130
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I almost mentioned Traxxas in last post. They would be the one in position to own tracks. With what they spend on sponsoring cars and at real racing events. The fact that they donít tells me a lot.
Ive never cared for Traxxas nor have I felt they've helped our hobby in any way. Self serving company in my opinion.

eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service