Advice on clay track tires?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sacmiata

Advice on clay track tires?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Advice on clay track tires?

I have been practicing on a track that when prepped the tire of choice is M4 slicks or Primes m4 sauced. My problem is that the track is colder and unprepped during practice(im the only one practicing on Mondays) and it is very easy to lose grip. The surface is still very moist and if you walk on the track you can see your dusty footprints very clearly. Is there a tire that would work for this better than a slick? It seems like traction is ok at times but just a little too much throttle and it spins out, and if you brake too hard it just spins out also. Would inversions, or positrons help in this condition or make it worse? its really hard to get a quality practice in when you cant string many full laps together without sliding out. Suggestions welcome. Im running a B6.1D 17.5 and a T5m 13.5 Even tried a B5 rear motor 7.5and it was probably the best oddly enough.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would first try grabbing a broom and sweeping - if the track steward doesn't maintain the track on practice days then this is a must.
Next I would consider a setup change. Sauce the backs only (leave the fronts dry) and maybe try to adjust the camber/roll center to get some push (under-steer) into your setup. Your overall lap times will be less but you should be more consistent not spinning out.
Otherwise sounds like positrons or dirtwebs would be the next logical choice since its a more extreme opposite from slicks. We run these at our track as there just isnt enough traction for slicks.
Cirrus95 likes this.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sacmiata View Post
I would first try grabbing a broom and sweeping - if the track steward doesn't maintain the track on practice days then this is a must.
Next I would consider a setup change. Sauce the backs only (leave the fronts dry) and maybe try to adjust the camber/roll center to get some push (under-steer) into your setup. Your overall lap times will be less but you should be more consistent not spinning out.
Otherwise sounds like positrons or dirtwebs would be the next logical choice since its a more extreme opposite from slicks. We run these at our track as there just isnt enough traction for slicks.
Thanks for the tips. I did try saucing rears only like you mentioned but the problem is more of a sudden spin. I am getting a good amount of understeer most of the time but throttle management is hard to get down. Too much causes a spin and less is a pretty big push. It seems to be a very fine line. I'd rather have slightly less grip that's more consistent if that makes sense.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jay13 View Post
I have been practicing on a track that when prepped the tire of choice is M4 slicks or Primes m4 sauced. My problem is that the track is colder and unprepped during practice(im the only one practicing on Mondays) and it is very easy to lose grip. The surface is still very moist and if you walk on the track you can see your dusty footprints very clearly. Is there a tire that would work for this better than a slick? It seems like traction is ok at times but just a little too much throttle and it spins out, and if you brake too hard it just spins out also. Would inversions, or positrons help in this condition or make it worse? its really hard to get a quality practice in when you cant string many full laps together without sliding out. Suggestions welcome. Im running a B6.1D 17.5 and a T5m 13.5 Even tried a B5 rear motor 7.5and it was probably the best oddly enough.
i had this issue recently and my fix was not so that not hearing down. I went up 3 teeth on the spur and now I am sticking. Just a thought
Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if the track it's self is dusty you do not want slicks as they will rid on top of the dust and be like a shuffle board, you would want something with tread to get thru the dust and make contact with the track.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Back when our club was running on clay, I'd mop the track with a light coat of water to get rid of all the silt, it would usually re-activate the dirt glue and I was good for a couple hours during practice until all the kids would trample over the track and then I'd have to mop it again later in the day depending on how much practice I needed. Doing 20 min of prep can be well worth the hassle, what else will you be doing besides waiting for your batteries to charge?

It's been a couple years since I ran on clay so I may be dating myself, but the tires that worked well were Electron MC/Dirtweb Gold style, in addition to using StickyKicks Pink, also consider investing in tire warmers too!

Last edited by billdelong; 01-15-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was at a clay track on the border of OH and PA Saturday running 2wd and wheeler. Conditions sound similar to what you describe. Tried clay compound Positrons on both cars and both undriveable. Tried worn M4 Electrons on the 2wd buggy which were slightly better but still way off the pace. Another racer was nice enough to loan me some worn out M4 Primes and even though the wheel offset wasn't quite right the car immediately had traction at both ends. Maybe a tire like the Positron will come in better as the track dries a bit but mine were useless on Saturday. I think what another person posted regarding saucing and perhaps a slight setup change is likely the route you will have to take if the conditions are anywhere near what I just experienced.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
I was at a clay track on the border of OH and PA Saturday running 2wd and wheeler. Conditions sound similar to what you describe. Tried clay compound Positrons on both cars and both undriveable. Tried worn M4 Electrons on the 2wd buggy which were slightly better but still way off the pace. Another racer was nice enough to loan me some worn out M4 Primes and even though the wheel offset wasn't quite right the car immediately had traction at both ends. Maybe a tire like the Positron will come in better as the track dries a bit but mine were useless on Saturday. I think what another person posted regarding saucing and perhaps a slight setup change is likely the route you will have to take if the conditions are anywhere near what I just experienced.
We might be talking about the same place, Spirit Controlled? I haven't raced yet but I did go to watch a couple times and there was plenty of traction with M4 Primes on race day. I haven't had Saturdays off in years but now I do so I'm getting back in to it after many years away(used to race nitro 1/8 buggy outdoors). When the track is prepped and warm I noticed a few people traction rolling but cold and unprepped is a different story. I will try giving it a sweep next time like mentioned, and when I go practice they turn the heat on and it progressively gets more traction as the temp comes up but it takes a while. All the advice has given me a few things to try next time out. I noticed JConcepts has a black compound that sounds like it was designed for colder track temps and similar situations, anyone ever try them?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We might be talking about the same place, Spirit Controlled? I haven't raced yet but I did go to watch a couple times and there was plenty of traction with M4 Primes on race day. I haven't had Saturdays off in years but now I do so I'm getting back in to it after many years away(used to race nitro 1/8 buggy outdoors). When the track is prepped and warm I noticed a few people traction rolling but cold and unprepped is a different story. I will try giving it a sweep next time like mentioned, and when I go practice they turn the heat on and it progressively gets more traction as the temp comes up but it takes a while. All the advice has given me a few things to try next time out. I noticed JConcepts has a black compound that sounds like it was designed for colder track temps and similar situations, anyone ever try them?
Yep, same place. Nice facility and race program. Looking forward to getting back once my tires and wheels show up.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

jc black is a touch softer than m4.

Your tire choice can definitely be a lot different on a cold, unprepped track versus race day. If you have understeer and the car also feels like spinning out under throttle/brake, then that's a classic sign that you need more pin front and rr.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Yep, same place. Nice facility and race program. Looking forward to getting back once my tires and wheels show up.
I just found out about it a month ago and I like it a lot also. Super nice guy running it and cool people racing, I hope to hit it up often.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
jc black is a touch softer than m4.

Your tire choice can definitely be a lot different on a cold, unprepped track versus race day. If you have understeer and the car also feels like spinning out under throttle/brake, then that's a classic sign that you need more pin front and rr.
This is exactly the advise I was hoping to hear, I'm going to order some tires in black compound and give it a try. That is my exact situation with understeer then sudden spin outs, so I will try more pin.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could try raising up your ride height a little bit to get more body roll instead of it wanting to slide out all the time. That has helped me tremendously at my track which seems to be similar conditions to what you describe.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teeyo View Post
You could try raising up your ride height a little bit to get more body roll instead of it wanting to slide out all the time. That has helped me tremendously at my track which seems to be similar conditions to what you describe.
Forgot to mention, proline positrons and electrons seem to be the ticket at my track too
Old 02-04-2019, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

spirit controlled is my local track.

i have both m4 primes and m4 inversions, and on race days inversions have been slower every time. but i think it would be a good tire on practice days if you dont make use of their powered blowers and bug sprayers.

early on with the switch to slicks, sanded green octagons where good when it was unsure if the tires would be super soft or clays, but those became less and less a good tire. i know a few people have tried blacks but jc rubber just doesnt seem to work as good on PA indoor dirt, they are great outdoors tho.