Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2.8" 12mm tire/wheel cheap alternative to 2.8 trenchers, 2.8 badlands, or 2.8 masher? >

2.8" 12mm tire/wheel cheap alternative to 2.8 trenchers, 2.8 badlands, or 2.8 masher?

2.8" 12mm tire/wheel cheap alternative to 2.8 trenchers, 2.8 badlands, or 2.8 masher?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2.8" 12mm tire/wheel cheap alternative to 2.8 trenchers, 2.8 badlands, or 2.8 masher?

Hello!
You have probably been here before, but my wife thinks I have spent too much on my ECX Torment 1/10 electric. I would love to put some offroad tires on it for grass and dirt. I saw someone put 2.8" badlands on theirs and they said that is as big as you could go on the Torment. But, that is like $60+ for a set of 4.

Is there any cheap(er) alternative? Maybe some cheaper off-brand?

Also, would it work if I just got new tires for the back since that is where the motor power is anyway?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They got a couple of different tread patterns...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Car-4X-....c100005.m1851
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Duratrax is decent and a good price. Check out the six pack sc tire for something like the badlands. And if you get yourself a pair of beadlock wheels you dont have to buy new wheels everytime . Not as cheap as ordering from china, but much faster.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BobWillySmithJr
Hello!
You have probably been here before, but my wife thinks I have spent too much on my ECX Torment 1/10 electric. I would love to put some offroad tires on it for grass and dirt. I saw someone put 2.8" badlands on theirs and they said that is as big as you could go on the Torment. But, that is like $60+ for a set of 4.

Is there any cheap(er) alternative? Maybe some cheaper off-brand?

Also, would it work if I just got new tires for the back since that is where the motor power is anyway?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, Proline went to that MAP price fixing bullcrap around 2016 time frame. April 8, 2016 I got two sets (4 total) PL Trenchers off scamazon for $59 ($29.50/pair) to the door. Short time later they were up to $37.64 a pair - now listed @ $39.06 PL's website.

Sorry guy, $60 is about average for a set of 4 tires/wheels.

Also, something to keep in mind is gearing. I don't know what size tires come on the Torment, but the trenchers are pretty darn big - like 124mm in diameter. If the Torment's stock tires are smaller, then you'll need to gear down to compensate for the larger tires.

Hope that helps - good luck in your search.
Regards,
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

These are good wheels and tires for the money.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AaAuiDEALw_wcB
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for the responses. With so many tire patterns, what would be best for grass and bashing in the dirt?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Proline badlands for a short course truck would be the "best" grass/basher tires . Your car is 2wd so no need to buy a rear set .
Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want to stick with the short-course sized tires, then as others have said, you can stick with just getting the rear wheels. But, if you want the added ground clearance that will help you in grass and other rough stuff, then you're going to need to go to 2.8 monster truck tires all around.

By far the best 2.8 monster truck tire that I've found for the money is the JConcepts Chopper. Those tires have been on sale at JConcepts site for over 2 years now. At $10/pair, they're absolutely unbeatable. They have much better grip than my 2.8 Trenchers. When I bought mine you could also get them pre-mounted for $12/pair, but that deal is long gone. The $10 tires with some cheap 2.8 wheels will still be a really good deal.

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/choppers-28-wheel