R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi 22S SCT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1034082-losi-22s-sct.html)

evlwevl 01-07-2019 05:45 PM

Losi 22S SCT

I’ve been out of the short course hobby for a while and have concentrated on crawlers for the last few years. I’ve been thinking about getting a fast inexpensive 2wd short course to mostly bash with but to also maybe take it out to the track every once in a while. My last short course truck was the Losi SCTE 2.0 Which was a beast on the track but probably far more technical than I knew how to set up. I’m really lost with all the new offerings by associated And noticed that both associated and Losi have tons of discontinued kits for whatever reason. I remember there used to just be the 2wd Slash and that was it but apparently there have been many upgrades to this genre of radio controlled trucks. I’ve only been able to see YouTube videos but I don’t trust those as most of them are bought and paid for or horribly done or you don’t really get to see what the vehicle can handle. Is this a good platform to build on or is it going to be something that’s going to be difficult to find parts in a year for. There are many Losi and Traxxas parts available local to me so I’m trying to stick with something I can get easily as most of the local race tracks will stock what they race .

billdelong 01-08-2019 08:38 AM

If you can get local support for Losi in your area then I think the 22SCT makes perfect sense, I think the current version is 3.0, not sure how soon they will make a new release, but the buggy is currently up to 5.0, I would try to stick with the most current version to make sure you have decent parts support.

rekim 01-08-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by billdelong (Post 15370626)
If you can get local support for Losi in your area then I think the 22SCT makes perfect sense, I think the current version is 3.0, not sure how soon they will make a new release, but the buggy is currently up to 5.0, I would try to stick with the most current version to make sure you have decent parts support.

i would agree 100% of losi over traxxas. i have the 22sct and the 22sct 2.0, and they are both really nice. Another car to look at is Arrma senton. they have 6s lipo and 3s. you can also get a brushed version for cheaper, but it will be slower.

i have several arrma cars, and they are a blast to drive. They are also now owned by horizon, so i think many places will have the parts. if you plan on racing competitively i would go losi over arrma. if you are just messing around in the back yard or something, the arrma is probably the best basher in the short course class.

evlwevl 01-08-2019 11:10 AM

Thankyou , I wanted to post photos of that truck but don’t ave permission yet. It still shows current on losi website and is still a rear motor plastic chassis with front and rear metal plates

rekim 01-08-2019 12:13 PM

if it is plastic chassis and rear motor, i think that is the RTR version. i dont know about that one.

i have the kit version, which is Team Losi Racing
it has aluminum chassis and mid motor. you need to supply all of the electronics with the kit version

with that being said, i would still choose the RTR losi over the traxxas

evlwevl 01-08-2019 12:40 PM

Yes it’s the rtr version which works for me. After building my SCTE 2.0 and putting a grand into that build, I want cheap and cheerful now ��

White ear 09-11-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by evlwevl (Post 15370817)
Yes it’s the rtr version which works for me. After building my SCTE 2.0 and putting a grand into that build, I want cheap and cheerful now ��

can you give any update on how the 22s holds up I am going back and forth between a 22s sct and a prosc10

Bri 09-11-2019 05:32 AM

The Associated ProSC10 is a much more race worthy truck than the Losi 22S SCT which has fixed camber links and the battery loads from the bottom of the chassis with a hinged door. You can add Losi hop ups to the 22S but it will bring the cost up. In comparison, the ProSC10 comes with many of these upgrades out of the box.

Funkydrummer1 09-11-2019 06:59 AM

This conversation was discussed a couple days ago by another poster. You can go through what we had said. But I would say as before, the TLR 22 sct 3.0 is a great truck. Im guessing that even with the 5.0 out now and the new 4wd buggy coming soon, tlr will not update the sct. But even sotlr makes a great kit sct. That being said,,the AE pro sc is a great rtr. I think ae has the advantage as far as rtr sct over losi. But as far as race kit, my vote goes to the sct 3.0.
I would stay away from Traxxas. Nothing against them. Fact is youll get a way better truck in the pro sc. And it makes for a good basher as well. The Slash is a better basher but its capabilities on track comes up a bit short compared to the ae. Unless you enjoy installing tons of hopups then the Slash is the one for you.
Box stock vs box stock= Associated Pro sc all the way. Or if you can find a deal on the sc10.3 as well. Thats just an " older" version of the pro sc.

Bri 09-11-2019 07:09 AM

The Losi 22S SCT is a RTR and is different than the TLR 22SCT 3.0 which is a kit. As I mentioned above, the ProSC10 is much better out of the box for racing than the 22S SCT.

White ear 09-11-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bri (Post 15508916)
The Losi 22S SCT is a RTR and is different than the TLR 22SCT 3.0 which is a kit. As I mentioned above, the ProSC10 is much better out of the box for racing than the 22S SCT.

k thanks was only ask about the Losi RTR because a buddy’s son got one from his grandpa and got a slash from his dad for his birthday. He wants to keep the slash and is willing to sell me the Losi for $100 still in the box. My buddy said the place where he bought the slash said it would be the better choice for a 9 year old to drive around yard and would give him $100 store credit for the Losi the kid would like to have cash to by parts online

just talking with my wife she is saying to go ahead buy the Losi for the $100 to help the kid and get me playing and then next month I can either buy the prosc10 or start a build
I thinking yes now I can build a truck to my own specs

White ear 09-12-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by White ear (Post 15509023)

k thanks was only ask about the Losi RTR because a buddy’s son got one from his grandpa and got a slash from his dad for his birthday. He wants to keep the slash and is willing to sell me the Losi for $100 still in the box. My buddy said the place where he bought the slash said it would be the better choice for a 9 year old to drive around yard and would give him $100 store credit for the Losi the kid would like to have cash to by parts online

just talking with my wife she is saying to go ahead buy the Losi for the $100 to help the kid and get me playing and then next month I can either buy the prosc10 or start a build
I thinking yes now I can build a truck to my own specs

with what I am doing for now I have read about changing the turnbuckles out should I order stock replacements or should I try to upgrade to adjustable
if so what all should I order