Search
Like Tree156Likes

TLR 8ight X-E

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
First, I feel the need to state, once again, that the local track ONLY allows 2S...so, please, don't suggest/recommend a 1900kV motor for my 8ight-XE. I'm very well-aware of this, and do plan on getting a 1900kV motor for use at other tracks allowing 4S...but, for the local track, I need to pair a motor work ESC unffortunately 2S-only use.
I suppose the entirety of this statement was lost in translation.

Originally Posted by mtbwrench
Regarding motor and ESC, I can't comment on motor choice. The "E" part of an ebuggy is very new to me, and my local... track allows 4S..
Let me clarify: I was attempting to convey that I can't say anything regarding 2S setups(in fact, I don't know of any tracks that allow 2S and also allow E-buggy, most instantiate those rules to eliminate people bringing things like E-buggies) as I would never have interest in running an E-buggy on 2S. At that point a mod wheeler would be much more suitable IMO. But either way, just trying to offer up my experience that the Hobbywing motor seemed a little more powerful than a Tekin of the same KV rating. Maybe that will translate to higher KV motors as well.

Unless you're running clean 10 minute mains and consistently qualifying for the A, either brand will be more than suitable for the application. They're both very nice, can;t go wrong with either. Support your LHS and go with what they carry(which looks to be HW, in this case).
Old 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbwrench
I suppose the entirety of this statement was lost in translation...Support your LHS and go with what they carry(which looks to be HW, in this case).
First, it wasn't lost, so no worries. I've mentioned the 2S limitation in a few threads. I plan on soldering 5.5mm bullet connectors between the ESCs & motors of most of my vehicles. This way, I can used 2S & appropriate motors (such as a 4000kV) at the local track (and other tracks only allowing 2S), and 4S & appropriate motors (such as 1900kV) at other tracks. As for the "support your LHS" comment, they carry HW, Tekin, and a few other brands.

Temporarily ignoring the motor, and only concentrating on the ESC, the primary reason for them recommending the HW over the Tekin was cost (obviously, HW costs less), but, honestly, I don't mind the higher cost, especially if I'm able to maintain consistency in ESC programming. In other words, whether motors are all Tekin, all HW, or a mix of both, if all ESCs are the same brand (Tekin), the programming between all ESCs is, essentially, the same. Using MS Word as an (unusual) example, if you used multiple computers, would you rather have the same version of Word on all computers, or a different version on each computer? That's why I'm not so concerned with the brand(s) of the motors...really, only the brand(s) if the ESCs. Does that make more sense?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

In that case, I would take other factors into account: reliability, warranty, ease of switching profiles for 2S/4S setups. I have seen a lot of HW stuff kick the bucket at my local track, Tekin not so much. In my experience, Tekin has far better warranty service. Finally, Hobbywing takes the cake for adjustability as it's just easier. Get their little wifi module, and you can wirelessly change anything you want on that ESC, all on the fly. Tekin has something similar with a bluetooth module, but it seems(to me) like HobbyWing may have a nicer software setup. Also note the Hobbywing 1/8 ESC's are passively cooled, while the RX8 is actively cooled.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Holy shit balls, that must suck having to run 2S in an 8th scale e-buggy!

Must be a super small 10th scale track!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jkurz211
Holy shit balls, that must suck having to run 2S in an 8th scale e-buggy!

Must be a super small 10th scale track!
Yea...but it what it is (it's also A ROAR-sanctioned track...one of only 13 in California). That's why, for my track vehicles (race & non-race) that might normally run on 4S, my plan is to have two motors for each - one for running 2S, and one for running 4S. The two 1/10 4WD buggies (the 8ight-XE, and the other one, which I might convert to 2WD at some point) would have a 4000kV for 2S, and a 1900kV for 4S.

As for size, I'd estimate it's approx 30' x 60-70', with clay surface. Its current configuration (they reshape it from time-to-time) has a fairly even balance of straights vs curves, as well as flats vs jumps. On the technical side, I'd say a 3-4 out of 5.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I don't understand, you're increasing kv but decreasing voltage, what's the point? You end up with similar RPM but higher temps/less efficiency, or am I wrong... just seems weird from perspective of organizers. I would think the issue of running 8th scale on a small 10th scale track is track degradation from larger tires, not battery size.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

As illogical it may seem, I'm sure they have some reason. Besides, what can we do about it?
But it's not the point of the discussion, so lets just work with what we got?

I don't know if HW offers any moters that makes sense with 2S but wouldn't Tekin Pro4 4000kv be something to look at? It might not be suited for the additional weight of a 1:8 buggy vs a SC truck, but I can't think of anything else that could be in that league.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What 4s batteries is every running?

The gens ace packs seem a bit to tall and wide.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks.
I've ran the Trinity White Carbon 5000 4S and Orion Carbon Pro 6500 4S. Both fit perfect.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by I_NeedBigDrink
I don't understand, you're increasing kv but decreasing voltage, what's the point? You end up with similar RPM but higher temps/less efficiency, or am I wrong... just seems weird from perspective of organizers. I would think the issue of running 8th scale on a small 10th scale track is track degradation from larger tires, not battery size.
If I knew the "why", I'd be able to explain it here...but, I don't, so I can't. It doesn't make any more sense to me than it does to you, it to others reading this.

Originally Posted by Huleboer
As illogical it may seem, I'm sure they have some reason. Besides, what can we do about it? I don't know if HW offers any moters that makes sense with 2S but wouldn't Tekin Pro4 4000kv be something to look at? It might not be suited for the additional weight of a 1:8 buggy vs a SC truck, but I can't think of anything else that could be in that league.
Again, I don't know the reason, but, as you said, nothing "we" can do about it. The shop/track owner might have set the rule, the city might, or even the country...don't know. As for the motor & ESC, already have the aforementioned HW 3660 4000kV & XR8 Plus, but want Tekin options to consider. To completely simplify things, it, basically, breaks down to these three options:
1) Keep the HW ESC & motor mentioned above.
2) Keep the HW motor, but swap the ESC for an RX8 (which I'm already familiar with, including the programming, as I'm running all Tekin in my Rustler 4x4).
3) Swap the HW ESC & motor for all Tekin (RX8 & (probably) Pro4 4000kV).

The HW motor is faster/more-efficient than the Tekin motor, thus the Tekin ESC & HW motor combo would make sense...but, at the same time, the Tekin motor is smoother, thus the 'all Tekin' option makes sense. Of course, there's also the dilemma of keeping both "of the same brand", thus options 1&3 both make sense. Also, don't forget that I will (in the next 1-2 months) be picking up a 1900kV motor, to be used with whichever ESC I end up with, for use at other tracks with 4S. Finally, efficiency (HW) and smoothness (Tekin) are both highly important...but, is one more important than the other?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

This is my first 8th scale. I'm going to run a Protek servo, which one do you all like?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
This is my first 8th scale. I'm going to run a Protek servo, which one do you all like?
170SBL
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
170SBL
Thanks. I had the 170TBL on my list, i appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

You need to do a little dremel work for the 170sbl servo.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Thanks.
SMC 7400 fits fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.