R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Just found a brand new sealed T4.2 FT kit (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1032444-just-found-brand-new-sealed-t4-2-ft-kit.html)

Associated98 12-16-2018 05:24 PM

Just found a brand new sealed T4.2 FT kit

I just found a brand new sealed factory team rc10T4.2 kit at my local hobby shop and picked her up. I also have a brand new in box Centro Ct4.2 mid motor conversion. I'm a huge collector of associated 1/10 trucks and parts (mostly gas truck stuff). I am wondering if you guys think I should open this kit and build a new mid motor t4.2 or leave it in it's box. It would just sit on the shelf if I built it anyway but as these are starting to get hard to come by, from a collectors stand point what do you guys think? I know I'm going to get flamed by some for "wasting" this truck by not using it but I'm not a collector of worn out trucks and parts, I like new stuff. I have a very heavily used T4.1 Factory Team to drive around. Comments? https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...0fe504af61.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...808b393fe9.jpg

a1 12-16-2018 06:52 PM

LEAVE IT IN THE BOX.lol

yanspe76 12-16-2018 07:33 PM

AE RC10 T4.2 was launched in 2014 so it's yet to "mature".

Most Collectors are into models that have outstanding pedigree plus some dash of nostalgia to it.

As an example, original gold tub RC10 or Yokomo YZ10 Dogfighter buggy for their World Championship Winning Streaks in the 80's.

There are instances where pedigree is not in the equation but due to absolute scarcity, makes them Collectible. Examples here is Hirobo Jealousy (only 300 were made before Hirobo close down their land RC Department), Tamiya Top Force Evolution and Tamiya Dyna Storm (both being initial effort by Tamiya Racing Factory division and no reproduction ever made).

For RC Stadium Truck collectability, we are talking the likes of Losi JRXT (1989) or the first original AE RC10T (1991), both being like 25-30 years of age.

In view of price, obviously a sealed kit box commands the highest, followed by a shelf queen and finally, the "used" version.

Personally, I would build up the kit, keep the original box and display the rolling chassis in an IKEA glass cabinet (photos below shows collection by Tamiya Legends on YouTube).

It's a piece of art that you will enjoy looking at and who knows, 20 years from now, you'll be surprised on the value that it has :-).

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...9ca3cde9c8.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...1613c92642.jpg

Associated98 12-16-2018 09:44 PM

That's an awesome collection of Tamiya man! I'm still going back and forth. I really want a mid motor t4 based truck to display but I have also ran into problems with "shelf qweens". I have a t5m that inadvertently became a shelf qween after my buddy bailed on us getting back into racing leaving my truck sitting fully built on the cabinet. After a year all the steel parts (turn buckles, CV shafts, out drives, some screw heads) are developing the ever slightest bit of rust :,(. I also recently aquired a new in open box rc18t2/b2 kit. Came from eBay and the original owner opened it "for pics". Everything is there and accounted for but the seal is broke. I have a ton of factory team graphite and aluminum parts for that guy including a chassis. Debating on building that truck too. I have a supposed factory sealed original rc18t RTR coming from South Korea. I should have bought his rc18r instead.. I really like the idea of a display cabinet but I also can't but feel I'm comitting sacrilege by breaking the seal on a rare discontinued kit. This holds a place as the final t4 based race kit. Directly following this kit is the t5m. I do also own an original rc10t with the skinny front tires lol (my step uncle and his father used to race this truck). my goal is to have one of every generation rc10t trucks (factory team of course) and a factory team gt2 as well as a RTR gt2. I currently have the original 10t, t4.1 factory team (waiting to be restored), two RTR gt2 trucks (have all nip factory team parts to convert one including an incredibly rare lrp z.12r team truck engine. That's the engine associated always had in the pictures for the ft gt2), the aforementioned t4.2 kit, and the t5m. T6.1 is ordered and on the way at some point. (Still waiting on backorder at local hobby shop). I'm also in the process of aquiring a gt5 chassis conversion from Casey wright and will need another t5m and gt2 to donate their parts to the conversion.
​​​​​

Di_spencer 12-16-2018 11:29 PM

Honestly rn the t4.2 is a just an obsolete race car it's not a collector's item yet. I'm sure that eventually it will become similar to a t2 or t3 but that won't be for decades.

yanspe76 12-16-2018 11:33 PM

Slight rust? WD40 and cleaning cloth is all you need ;)

By the way, Cliff Lett will be proud of you !

Associated98 12-17-2018 04:43 PM

lol Ill try some wd40. I just picked up the last tc4 club racer I could find at my local hobby, figured I should given how cheap they where. I guess Ill start with the 18t2/b2 and see how I feel after as far as the t4.2. I get that right now those trucks arnt super collectible yet, but in 5-10 years when any versions of the t4 are hard to get even used, this one could bring in some serious rent if its still sealed. Ill be plenty busy restoring my t4.1 and building my factory team gt2 for now any ways. Thanks for the comments guys.

mx836 12-17-2018 04:55 PM

Personally if I weren’t going to drive it, I wouldn’t build it. It’s certainly not a collectors item yet, but it is most likely the last rear motor Associated stadium truck to be produced so it may be unique from a collectors perspective someday.

rustyus 12-17-2018 05:29 PM

Sorry. I'm gonna be honest...I about threw up back when the T4.2 first came out, and I about threw up again when you posted that picture of the T4.2 FT box. :smile: ...and I'm a relatively big Team Associated fan.

It took me a long time to almost get used to that bulldog body. I had bought two extra bulldog bodies for when the time came. I never even got the nerve to paint up the stock body. That's how much I dislike them ProLine Bulldogs on the Associated truck. My T4.2 just sat in storage for a long time. I don't even know why I boutght the stadium truck. Oh yes I do. I got it cheap when word of the T5 was coming out. When Team Associated unleashed the T4.3, and JConcepts brought back the Finnisher body for the T4.3...it was game on for my T4.2FT! Bye bye gullwing arms.

Anyways. What you really need is another T4.2 to put that Centro Ct4.2 mid motor conversion to use. Before and after shelf queens.

It'll be 30 years from now before nostalgia sets in for anyone.

Associated98 12-17-2018 07:27 PM

I have gave up hating the cab forward revolution that took over stadium trucks five or so years ago. My beloved illusion highflow t4 body was the last of the traditional stadium truck body's and my favorite stadium truck body of all time. I always thought the cab forward bodies made them look like a 1/8 truggy with slight birth defects. Any how I have come around full circle and have been trying to find bulldog bodies as they are one of the only can forward bodies I actually like. Have you seen the new Jconcepts f2? I also just realized proline discontinued the enforcer body so now they make no stadium truck bodies. Anyhow if you still have those bulldog bodies I'll take em!

yanspe76 12-17-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Associated98 (Post 15356782)
lol Ill try some wd40. I just picked up the last tc4 club racer I could find at my local hobby, figured I should given how cheap they where. I guess Ill start with the 18t2/b2 and see how I feel after as far as the t4.2. I get that right now those trucks arnt super collectible yet, but in 5-10 years when any versions of the t4 are hard to get even used, this one could bring in some serious rent if its still sealed. Ill be plenty busy restoring my t4.1 and building my factory team gt2 for now any ways. Thanks for the comments guys.

Sounds like a plan. If you really want to sit on a goldmine 10 years from now, get some Team AE pro driver or better still, Cliff Lett to put their signature on the box. And don't forget to get a photo of them signing as a proof :-)

Since you are into curating Team AE Trucks, you may want to check this NOS 18 years old RC10T3 below...

Newly-Build-Associated-RC10T3-2wd-Off-Road-Truck

Associated98 12-18-2018 12:43 AM

That thing is pretty cool man but there's no box! A petty thing to squabble about I know but it needs something to sit on top of.. lol good find I'm definitely interested but I've spent more than my financial officer (wink wink) needs to know about this weekend lol t4.2.. tc4.. gt2 t5m conversion.. rc18t2 rtr.. hopefully it's still there in week when I get paid again.

Here is my full collection of new and used vehicles. The t5m, tc4 (hidden under the trans am body), black jack boats, mini t (all aftermarket), mini 8ight t, and one of those micro Ts are all brand new never driven. The boats are just because I bought them on sale this fall. I don't collect those lol. Yellow truck is a very very tired t4.1 factory team kit. White truck is my original 10t. The gt2 with the white body is a practically mint RTR gt2 RS and the black body is a horribly neglected and heavily used gt2 RS that is my surrogate for a full factory team conversion. Special thanks again to Casey wright for helping me out with some rare azz parts to finish the conversion. I'll post pics when it's done. Will be a brand new factory team shelf qween when she's all done. Can't wait to start! I'll make a new thread for that one and try to get a build going there as long as I remember to take pictures while I'm doing it instead of just after lol. Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the feedback and comments, positive or negative I like it all. https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...ffb10df228.jpg

rustyus 12-18-2018 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Associated98 (Post 15356900)
I have gave up hating the cab forward revolution that took over stadium trucks five or so years ago. My beloved illusion highflow t4 body was the last of the traditional stadium truck body's and my favorite stadium truck body of all time. I always thought the cab forward bodies made them look like a 1/8 truggy with slight birth defects. Any how I have come around full circle and have been trying to find bulldog bodies as they are one of the only can forward bodies I actually like. Have you seen the new Jconcepts f2? I also just realized proline discontinued the enforcer body so now they make no stadium truck bodies. Anyhow if you still have those bulldog bodies I'll take em!

Dude on RCT bought them from me, and was trying to resell them :D. Possibly still up for grabs?:....https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...w-package.html

aaron2u 12-21-2018 08:01 PM

A lot of those t4.2 parts will work on a gt2. Big bores, front end, slipper, hubs, and cvd's if you put slightly shorter bones on them. Had one built, but never got a chance to tune it in, as I was focused on 8th scale at the time.

Associated98 01-08-2019 01:41 AM

Well, I can't believe they actually took the time to do this for me but I had the T4.2 and one of my most prized nos parts, a factory sealed black Gt2 factory team chassis shipped to associated to be signed. I really wanted cliff letts signature but two that I'm stoked about and wasn't expecting are ROGER FREAKIN CURTIS! and Curtis Husting (RIP Gene, we all miss you). I can't wait to get these back. These are officially priceless collectables. I don't know if I can go through with building my factory team gt2 anymore, at least until I happen across another nos chassis which will likely take years. Any how, thanks for the suggestion, as my user name suggests I'm crazy about team associated and to have all the hard hitters from my favorite brand on two of my personal products is amazing and just shows what an awesome company they are and how much they care about their customers. Roger Curtis, the man that started everything.. the man behind the original rc10.. I still can't get over that one. Thanks again to all and anyone from team associated who may or may not be reading this. You guys are truly amazing.https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...e861caeb4e.jpg