Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

1/6 Losi Super Rock Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wallacengineeri
Yesterday I picked up my Losi Super Rock Rey from my local hobby shop West Valley Hobbies here in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately their selection of batteries wasn't what I had in mind, and I also want to upgrade my charger.

I am now awaiting a Protek Prodigy 625 Duo Charger as well as SMC Racing 4x 4S and 2x 3S 7400mAH 149Amp/90C LiPos to show up in the mail.

AMain also had a sale on the Futaba 4PV Radio and my LHS matched the price so I picked that up as well. I also got some 60K and 300K diff oils to try out in the center and rear of my Super Rock Rey. Ive actually never spent so much money in one day in my entire life, especially as yesterday was rent day as well lol!

Well, the good news is I still have my tools and quite alot of accessories from the last time I was active in the hobby. It looks like I am just about ready to RC again!
Getting to the center diff is no joke. I have the 1/10 scale version so I was familiar with the the process. Also, getting the rear driveshaft off the center diff was a real pain. Tons of red loctite. Use heat to melt it.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bicketybam
Getting to the center diff is no joke. I have the 1/10 scale version so I was familiar with the the process. Also, getting the rear driveshaft off the center diff was a real pain. Tons of red loctite. Use heat to melt it.
I will certainly keep that in mind but remember that the chassis is a new layout for this 1/6th Scale Monster Version so its very likely that it could be different. From what I understand the SRR layout is an exact copy of the Losi Super Baja Rey with a higher ride hight, bigger tires and different body. If anyone has any experience with accessing the diffs on a Super Baja Rey or Super Rock Rey then they should know exactly how it goes.

EDIT: By the way, I recently saw a YouTube video where someone corrected most of the traction roll and handling issues with the SRR by moving the lower suspension mounting points on all four corners to their outer-most positions. Highly recommended.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

I have decent tutorial on accessing center diff that I posted on facebook if anyone is interested.

I could try and post it here, but I think it would take forever to upload all pictures.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/882337...44120152421141
Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_S
I have decent tutorial on accessing center diff that I posted on facebook if anyone is interested.

I could try and post it here, but I think it would take forever to upload all pictures.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/882337...44120152421141
Thanks for that man gonna have to check that out.

Also think I found the perfect ESC/Motor combo for the SRR in case the stock one ever breaks.

So I figure, go with the HobbyWing Max5 as most would probably expect, but then I came across an absolute beast of a 1/5th scale motor for it: the TenShock X501. It comes in 3 different KV options: 750, 810, and 890. Not only would the 890KV option be pretty much perfect for the stock gearing on the SRR, the X501 is also a much more advanced 8-Pole, 12-Slot design as compared to the 4-Pole design on most RCs including the stock Dynamite 750 KV found on the SRR. So not only would you get more speed but more horsepower and torque as well. Its a hell of a motor.

The other benefit of an 8-Pole motor is more precise control and less cogging at low speeds, ALMOST as if you were running a full-blown sensored racing setup similar to a Tekin 1/8th Scale Brushless System.

However, there is one MAJOR issue: I have absolutely NO IDEA if this motor will fit in the truck.

The maximum power of the Stock motor is about 5.2 Horsepower where as the Tenshock is about 6.6. Naturally the Tenshock will draw more amperage too, coming in at a rating of 5000 watts and 148 Amps. So be sure to choose some serious batteries for this setup and make sure you run the Max5 ESC, not the Max6. Combine this with a better servo and radio and you have the potential to build one of the fastest and most powerful large scale RCs on the planet, easily hitting 60 MPH on stock gearing.

Tenshock X501 official page: http://www.tenshock.com/ts-x501-4wd-8-pole-1-5-car-motor.html

Last edited by wallacengineeri; 02-19-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

--nip-
Old 02-19-2019, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

I think stock motor is 6 pole, the Baja Rey motor is. I run big TP Power motor in my Baja Rey, which has somewhat similar chassis. It was quite the process to make it fit. Had to move servo to other side of chassis
Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

I think stock motor is 6 pole, the Baja Rey motor is. I run big TP Power motor in my Baja Rey, which has somewhat similar chassis. It was quite the process to make it fit. Had to move servo to other side of chassis
Huh looks like Im going to have to check on the dimensions of that X501 motor vs the stock motor. How did you even relocate the servo anyway? Did you just flip the mount and steering assembly the other way around or is all sorts of custom fabrication involved? Ive only got simple hand tools I dont have a shop or anything.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

Huh looks like Im going to have to check on the dimensions of that X501 motor vs the stock motor. How did you even relocate the servo anyway? Did you just flip the mount and steering assembly the other way around or is all sorts of custom fabrication involved? Ive only got simple hand tools I dont have a shop or anything.
i'll get back to you how I did it, truck is apart right now. Mostly just flipped the mount around. I also cut stock plastic steering link in half and installed a turnbuckle since the link had to be a decent amount longer.

The process will be a bit different on the Rock Rey because batteries are removed from the bottom. Only fancy tool I used was a drill. Hardest part was trying to get holes I had to drill in the right location.

I don't plan on relocating servo on the Rock Rey.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

i'll get back to you how I did it, truck is apart right now. Mostly just flipped the mount around. I also cut stock plastic steering link in half and installed a turnbuckle since the link had to be a decent amount longer.

The process will be a bit different on the Rock Rey because batteries are removed from the bottom. Only fancy tool I used was a drill. Hardest part was trying to get holes I had to drill in the right location.

I don't plan on relocating servo on the Rock Rey.
Well my attempt to search for the stock motor dimensions this morning has turned up nothing. I decided to go ahead and contact Losi and ask them. From there, I also left them a few suggestions for improving the platform after driving my friend's SRR a few times: including balancing the weight out, changing the center diff fluid, upgrading shock towers to aluminum, upping the KV of the stock motor to around 800-850, changing lower shock mount positions to improve handling and reduce traction-roll, and widening the stance using wheel hex adapters with offset also in order to eliminate traction-roll.

Maybe someday we will get to see a revision of the platform.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Well my attempt to search for the stock motor dimensions this morning has turned up nothing. I decided to go ahead and contact Losi and ask them.
It's about 56mm x 86mm

Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

It's about 56mm x 86mm
Ah well thats a bummer. The Tenshock X501 is the same 56mm diameter but way longer at 109mm, that would make it quite difficult to fit without some pretty hefty modification. I would rather not cut into the chassis to make it fit.

I guess that means I will have to wait for more 1/6th scale options to hit the market since it seems like a few companies are now beginning to design larger vehicles. I guess for now upping the gear ratio slightly would give a similar effect to the response and power of the truck. Most RTRs come geared slightly low anyways.

Since Im in my Semi Truck and Im on the road I cant look at my SRR at the moment but I believe the stock Pinion is a 16T right? I wonder if the next mesh hole would accommodate an 18T. That would probably be the ideal gear ratio for the 750KV stock motor.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

It has holes for 16-24 iirc. 18 might be good. Someone in facebook group tried 21 tooth and it sounded like it was probably too fast for stock suspension settings.

You might need heat to remove stock gear.

I just checked, there is a spot for every pinion sized 16-24

Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

It has holes for 16-24 iirc. 18 might be good. Someone in facebook group tried 21 tooth and it sounded like it was probably too fast for stock suspension settings.

You might need heat to remove stock gear.

I just checked, there is a spot for every pinion sized 16-24
Nice, thanks for that man. So I see that you are running a 19T? How is that working out for you? And do you remember if the stock Pinion was a 16T?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Nice, thanks for that man. So I see that you are running a 19T? How is that working out for you? And do you remember if the stock Pinion was a 16T?
that is actually 24t pinion, that is my Baja rey mount. I run 24t in 19t position to bypass transmission gears sometimes.

Rock Rey stock is 16t. I've only ran 16t in the Rock Rey.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

that is actually 24t pinion, that is my Baja rey mount. I run 24t in 19t position to bypass transmission gears sometimes.

Rock Rey stock is 16t. I've only ran 16t in the Rock Rey.
Well that is strange, why are you bypassing the transmission gears on your Super Baja Rey? Doesnt that just gear the truck up even further? It almost like you are running like a 40T pinion at thos point, how is your motor and ESC not totally trashed from such high gearing?

So the 16T is stock then huh? Yea, I think 18T ought to be perfect then. Just up gearing up to give it the slightest extra edge.

By the way, I was thinking about picking up a new Servo since I wont be able to modify the motor for awhile. However, I cant decide what servo I should get. There are two options on AMain that look promising: The Hitec D845 Waterproof: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-d845wp-waterproof-monster-torque-steel-gear-servo-high-voltage-hrc36845/p469129 OR the Savox SW-0241MG Waterproof: https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-sw0241mg-super-torque-waterproof-digital-1-5-scale-servo-high-voltage-sav-sw-0241mg/p402264

Both of these servos have nearly identical specs for about the same price. It is very hard to choose between them. I wonder which one would work better with the fast mode 3.5ms response time from my Futaba 4PV radio system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.