Like Tree9Likes

which drill?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 PM
a1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default which drill?

I have a 8th scale and a 2wd buggy. Basic maintenance is no problem but full maintenance , well that another story. Ive been looking at the dremel go 4 volt. Its basically a small electric screwdriver .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-G...kgU6uwhQVh9Ww0
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Tech Rookie

I use a little dewalt 1/4” hex hand screwdriver. I like it because it has a clutch. I set it to “3”, it’ll bottom out a screw without overtightening it and then I follow by hand.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I always found my Milwaukee electric screwdriver to be indispensable for working on my 8th scale buggies. That dremel looks good.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I always found my Milwaukee electric screwdriver to be indispensable for working on my 8th scale buggies. That dremel looks good.
that dremel looks terrible for what he's looking for. if you're talking about tearing down or assembling a new kit and using the driver for a lot of screws at once, this is not a good option. the ergonomics look horrible. you'll need something with a pistol type grip. this dremel thing looks like it's for housewives that want to hang a picture frame.

i've had a ryobi for a few years that's done me well. https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...on-screwdriver
Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Whatever you get, make sure it has a chuck. That is the most important thing when getting a screwdriver for rc
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Milwaukee M12 Li-Ion Cordless Electric Subcompact Driver — 1/4in. Keyless Chuck, 500 RPM, Model# 2401-22

Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And pair that with some MIP bits, and you are set for life..
Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Ryobi tek4 burn the clutch in a little, great little drill with adjustable clutch.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I've been using the
 Hitachi DB3DL2 Hitachi DB3DL2
system for a while now, comes with 2 batteries, and my 2 favorite features are a locking switch to prevent the drill from accidentally engaging while in transit/storage and the clutch has 21 steps with the softest clutch I've seen on the market. I've yet to strip a single diff case when driving screws into my diffs and fully engaging the lowest clutch setting which makes my re-builds go extremely quick!
*** Tip, when driving long screws into diffs, the plastic will get hot and melt, with risk of stripping threads, I will drive each screw within a few turns of fully tightened, work my way around the diff until I get back to first screw and the plastic will have had a chance to cool, then I fully engage the clutch to tighten with perfectly consistent pressure on each screw.

The drill is also powerful enough to use for general home use as well, albeit on much higher clutch settings
RCSteveH and Bruce_R like this.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I like to use TWO of the smaller pistol style Ryobi's so I don't have to keep changing hexes. Makes life much easier! Three might look a little crazy on the pit table so I just stick with two.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
that dremel looks terrible for what he's looking for. if you're talking about tearing down or assembling a new kit and using the driver for a lot of screws at once, this is not a good option. the ergonomics look horrible. you'll need something with a pistol type grip. this dremel thing looks like it's for housewives that want to hang a picture frame.

i've had a ryobi for a few years that's done me well. https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...on-screwdriver
Terrible? Really? Sorry, couldn't disagree more, especially about the ergonomics. I've always preferred and used non pistol style electric screwdrivers for working on anything R/C. I use pistol syle electric for working on the house. I've never torn down any of my 8th scale buggies and thought "I wish I had a pistol style screwdriver right now".
Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I've been using the Hitachi DB3DL2 system for a while now, comes with 2 batteries, and my 2 favorite features are a locking switch to prevent the drill from accidentally engaging while in transit/storage and the clutch has 21 steps with the softest clutch I've seen on the market. I've yet to strip a single diff case when driving screws into my diffs and fully engaging the lowest clutch setting which makes my re-builds go extremely quick!
*** Tip, when driving long screws into diffs, the plastic will get hot and melt, with risk of stripping threads, I will drive each screw within a few turns of fully tightened, work my way around the diff until I get back to first screw and the plastic will have had a chance to cool, then I fully engage the clutch to tighten with perfectly consistent pressure on each screw.

The drill is also powerful enough to use for general home use as well, albeit on much higher clutch settings
I also use the Hitachi and it is fantastic. There is another thread on here which I bumped maybe 5 or 6 months ago which discusses this. You could probably search my posts and find it

Update: here's the other thread: https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/447731-good-cordless-screwdriver-10.html#post15262293
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Terrible? Really? Sorry, couldn't disagree more, especially about the ergonomics. I've always preferred and used non pistol style electric screwdrivers for working on anything R/C. I use pistol syle electric for working on the house. I've never torn down any of my 8th scale buggies and thought "I wish I had a pistol style screwdriver right now".
and i'm sure nobody in a third world country while drinking dirty water thought "i wish i had a coke right now".
billdelong and lowspark like this.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Default DeWalt gyro

Lol
Old 12-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Default DeWalt gyro

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...xoCf0QQAvD_BwE
Iv had this for 3 yr and love it