Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wallacengineeri
  • 1 Post By wallacengineeri

Aarma Kraton Diff Oil Setup

Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Aarma Kraton Diff Oil Setup

So my buddy just got his new Kraton after watching all the vids on how awesome it is. In those vids we saw and heard about a major issue with the Kraton: Diff Oil.

Aarma advertises the truck as one of the ultimate bashers around, yet they stick such light fluids in it that it diffs out like a pro racing truggy.

Sure enough, on its first test run, we experienced the same thing and are looking to lock the diffs up a bit. We have seen videos where people use X-MAXX 20 Million Weight but that causes so much lock up that it tends to weelie onto its back constantly from what we have seen.

Hes is running an SMC Racing 4S, 7400 mAH, 90C battery with the optional 14T pinion (stock is 12T). We have also already solved the poor traction issue with a set of 3.8 Badlands Tires.

What he is looking for is enough diff lock to wheelie but not so much lock that it wheelies onto its back at under half throttle. Enough lock that it accelerates agressively but can still handle cornering fairly well.

I came up with an idea for a setup and wanted to run it by the community. I figure a 500K center diff oil would give him a happy middle ground of diff lock. I also thought 10K in the front diff and 50K in the rear would also help him out. The way I figure it, light weight in the front will allow the front tires to hook up well during cordering while the heavier 50K in the rear would help him enjoy some drifing action.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Lots of variables to consider, mostly the diff fluid used will vary depending on the surface you are running... for high grip asphalt I would agree that locking the center diff makes sense, I would start with Front-Center-Rear = 20K-1M-5K for asphalt it if were me.

For general bashing on Dirt, I might go 20K-30K-10K, really good chart provided by the HUDY tuning guide here to help you decide what you want to get your car to do for diff tuning:

Old 12-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Lots of variables to consider...
Ah thanks for posting that chart man, I forgot all about it. We are looking for a nice middle ground, something that has high acceleration on both both high and low traction surfaces but is perfect on neither. Kind of an all-round fluid for all conditions with more bite and acceleration than stock but as said before, not too much like the 20 Mil center diff that causes traction flips on asphalt or other high-traction surfaces.

A good way to put it would be that we are aiming to spin all 4 wheels on loose dirt but diff out on asphalt. Also are you sure about running lighter in the rear than the front? I would understand that for racing but we are just trying to have fun.

Also would anyone happen to know what the stock diff oils are on the Kraton? It would help to have a baseline and we cant seem to find the info anywhere.

Last edited by wallacengineeri; 12-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

According to the manual they use 10K in all 3 diffs with the box stock setup:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals...387_6S_BLX.pdf

Use the chart to make desired tuning changes from there, go thicker in the rear if you want less rear traction, I would go 20K-30K-10K if I wanted a general ballpark to start with, I have never liked the feeling of running the same fluid in all 3 diffs, sometimes I might run the front diff as thick as the center, but I have never ran the rear diff nearly as thick as the front diff.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

According to the manual they use 10K in all 3 diffs with the box stock setup...
Ewww, no wonder the thing feels so sloppy out of the box. Yea, using the same weight diff oil on all 3 seems idiotic. Well, we will have to change that then. I feel like 30K in the center would still be too light for want we want to try and do. Ive got 50K center diff oil in a Tekno Truggy and he wants more AWD bite than even that. He wants to be able to wheelie on dirt and asphault but not totally lock the diff like an X-MAXX. I also think he needs slightly thicker front and rear diff oils as well.

I think we will experiment with it for awhile, starting with a 30K-100K-20K "middle ground" setup and see how he likes it. Will report back when we figure it out.
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

According to the manual they use 10K in all 3 diffs with the box stock setup...
Well we ran our first set of batts through on the 30K-100K-20K setup this morning since it has warmed up here in Salt Lake City and most of the snow has melted away today.

He seems to really like it. I find it to be a tadd stiff but hey its his machine. He likes the fact that its stiff enough to wheelie on demand at 1/2 throttle.
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

I felt 100k in center was its sweet spot. Drivable and didnt wheelie a ton as long as you didnt have punch setting up too high. I drove in grass, dirt and adphalt.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ondaedg View Post
I felt 100k in center was its sweet spot. Drivable and didnt wheelie a ton as long as you didnt have punch setting up too high. I drove in grass, dirt and adphalt.
Thanks for the heads up, same for him. He also bashes on a mixture of dirt, grass, and asphalt.