Search
Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjcoffroad
Does anyone know if the 4.0 body will still work?
In a pinch but will rub in areas and not wide enough in the front. 5.0 is totally different body.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phugazi
Isn't AC all we care about now? What year is this, who races on dirt anymore???
LOL, it's almost 2019! We need to change the name of this forum from from "off-road" to "on-carpet". That'll clear it up!
fredswain likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That SR is looking like a sweet kit, and the 5.0 platform in general. I am curious how it'll perform on lower bite, because I'll definitely consider switching to it.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RazorRC
LOL, it's almost 2019! We need to change the name of this forum from from "off-road" to "on-carpet". That'll clear it up!
When carpet first started picking up here in the states I didn’t think it would overtake dirt. I thought it would just be another option and the two would co-exist with dirt still being a little bigger (because it is afterall OFF-ROAD racing). But I’m sad to say that I think true off-road is on its last legs, and dirt tracks are about to be totally extinct. I don’t want to be this way, but if that happens, and carpet completely takes over off-road racing, I’ll leave the hobby for good. I have nothing against carpet, but it has no business taking over off-road racing. Off-road racing is DIRT. Carpet off-road doesn’t exist. It’s on-road with jumps.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MiniBlade
..........Off-road racing is DIRT..........
AMEN!!!
RandyJones likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

When carpet first started picking up here in the states I didn’t think it would overtake dirt. I thought it would just be another option and the two would co-exist with dirt still being a little bigger (because it is afterall OFF-ROAD racing). But I’m sad to say that I think true off-road is on its last legs, and dirt tracks are about to be totally extinct. I don’t want to be this way, but if that happens, and carpet completely takes over off-road racing, I’ll leave the hobby for good. I have nothing against carpet, but it has no business taking over off-road racing. Off-road racing is DIRT. Carpet off-road doesn’t exist. It’s on-road with jumps.
Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don’t matter if you win on dirt or carpet. Winning’s winning.
Rexracing, Robbob and fredswain like this.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don’t matter if you win on dirt or carpet. Winning’s winning.
Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man.
Beau S and BryanAZ like this.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

That isn't what I'm seeing in my area. Dirt is going strong, with 7 indoor tracks withing a 3hr radius, three of which are going strong after as many as 20 years, of the three newer tracks, one just moved into a much bigger facility to expand. The club most local to me has had success with a carpet indoor program but I never got interested. Just don't care for the driving dynamics. I understand why carpet is favorable to track operators. If it's working, more power to them. More racing = better for everyone.

Good to see this upgrade from TLR. I think the lack of a QC diff is a little bit of a miss, but it's no deal breaker to me. I hardly ever fish my diff out. I'll consider this kit if I need another car before the next update.
Slakker likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You also believe that 4wd stadium will kill off buggy classes as well.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember about 8 years ago when people were saying things like "if mid motor is so good, why isn't anyone running it?" or "rear motor will always be king". Car designs are representative of the most common track designs. If everyone still raced on old school soft loam, we would not see everyone running laydown 3 gear mid motor setups. They would not work as well. I don't care who claims otherwise.
Beau S likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Racing is racing
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

So this new 22 has a "Dirt" edition, but what kind? My local tracks are still the dirt tracks from the paleolithic age.
I still see people running the old B5 rear motor setups, and getting podium finishes.
As these new cars are coming out, the layout looks more and more for high grip carpet.
Can these cars ever be as good as a rear motor car on loamy dirt?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
So this new 22 has a "Dirt" edition, but what kind?
Can these cars ever be as good as a rear motor car on loamy dirt?
It's a setup typical of what's being run on medium to high grip clay. They've figured out how to get the power to the tire's contact patches so unless the loamy dirt you speak of was really low grip (I used to run loamy tracks that had pretty great grip) then it should work well. It wasn't that long ago that people believed mid-motor cars wouldn't work anywhere but carpet..
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Wow, just watched the 5.0 video with Professor Frank Root on TLR Facebook page.
I feel like I just completed the Gold Level training program for the 5.0 buggy line up.
Well done sir.
I'm so well informed now on this platform that you can ask me anything
No, but seriously go check it out if you want to know.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fredswain
I remember about 8 years ago when people were saying things like "if mid motor is so good, why isn't anyone running it?" or "rear motor will always be king". Car designs are representative of the most common track designs. If everyone still raced on old school soft loam, we would not see everyone running laydown 3 gear mid motor setups. They would not work as well. I don't care who claims otherwise.
I’m all for cars evolving and even tracks changing a bit, but there’s a point where I draw the line, and that is when carpet takes over off-road altogether. When guys are so desirous of traction that they’ll say - “f*** it, lets just run on carpet.” Oh, yeah, and why don’t we just put down our radios and just push pur cars around the track by hand? That would fully eliminate traction issues.
dtr likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.