Like Tree748Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
I've had no issues with my 5.0 SR yet, but my wife's son seems to have had his fair share of issues with his 4.0 SR and 5.0 SR. Tranny bearing exploded on the 4.0, his wheel fell off after a front axle bearing pulled through the insert, he has had issues with leaky shocks on the 5.0. Tranny binding (He replaced it with the MIP diff) binding gone. We have the same buggies and built them at the same time the same way with the same tools. Who knows.
I forget which one, exactly, but FWIW, in one of the YouTube videos I watched, the reviewer mentioned that the potential cause of leaky shocks is that the insert placed between the O-rings in the shock body is just a hair too tall. As a result, the O-rings can get over compressed if you crank down too tightly on the lower cap... So the “workaround” has been to sand the height down just a hair on that insert. It puts less pressure on the O-rings when you crank down on that lower cap, eliminating the compression problem with the O-rings. The other option would be to not “crank down” when you tighten it, but that would be too subjective to determine how tight is too tight.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

I forget which one, exactly, but FWIW, in one of the YouTube videos I watched, the reviewer mentioned that the potential cause of leaky shocks is that the insert placed between the O-rings in the shock body is just a hair too tall. As a result, the O-rings can get over compressed if you crank down too tightly on the lower cap... So the “workaround” has been to sand the height down just a hair on that insert. It puts less pressure on the O-rings when you crank down on that lower cap, eliminating the compression problem with the O-rings. The other option would be to not “crank down” when you tighten it, but that would be too subjective to determine how tight is too tight.
I know it was discussed in this thread before that there’s the chance of the lower delrin/plastic insert, that goes between the lower o-ring and cap, can be installed upside down, which applies too much pressure causing a leak. I haven’t read anything recently about leaks unless I just missed it.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post

I know it was discussed in this thread before that there’s the chance of the lower delrin/plastic insert, that goes between the lower o-ring and cap, can be installed upside down, which applies too much pressure causing a leak. I haven’t read anything recently about leaks unless I just missed it.
On the last page, Zipperfoot had mentioned that his son has had issues with the shocks leaking on his 5.0.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Im looking for a spring rate chart for the losi 5.0 LF springs. Anyone know of where to look or what the spring rates are? I run a 5.0 ac. Wanted to maybe try stiffer rear springs.
Also I run the frank root set up on carpet. The car is really good. Except I have a slight on power push out mid to exit of corner. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by allaboutwho02 View Post
Im looking for a spring rate chart for the losi 5.0 LF springs. Anyone know of where to look or what the spring rates are? I run a 5.0 ac. Wanted to maybe try stiffer rear springs.
Also I run the frank root set up on carpet. The car is really good. Except I have a slight on power push out mid to exit of corner. Any thoughts?
This comes from a blog post Frank published in January... as it appears that the 5.0 springs were released in December of 2018, I THINK it’s still accurate?

Old 10-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

On the last page, Zipperfoot had mentioned that his son has had issues with the shocks leaking on his 5.0.
Yes, I did read his recent post and iirc he mentioned it months ago also. I just assumed he had gotten it resolved and was just bringing up the issues that he’s had since he got the buggies, and not current on going problems. I read the whole thread prior to getting my AC, so the post about making sure that lower piece in the shock was installed correctly could have been before his issue or brought up when he mentioned that he was having a problem. If my reply comes off as being a d***, it wasn’t my intention.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post

Yes, I did read his recent post and iirc he mentioned it months ago also. I just assumed he had gotten it resolved and was just bringing up the issues that he’s had since he got the buggies, and not current on going problems. I read the whole thread prior to getting my AC, so the post about making sure that lower piece in the shock was installed correctly could have been before his issue or brought up when he mentioned that he was having a problem. If my reply comes off as being a d***, it wasn’t my intention.
Oh no - no worries. The way I read it kind of made it sound like his son has still been having the issue, but maybe I misunderstood.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:24 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by allaboutwho02 View Post
Thcker rear sway bar or add a thin sway bar if you've been running without one before. If you are happy with how the car jumps and lands, I would not touch the shock package at first.
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mes View Post
Thcker rear sway bar or add a thin sway bar if you've been running without one before. If you are happy with how the car jumps and lands, I would not touch the shock package at first.
Oh yeah - I kinda went running to find the springs chart as soon as I read that, and didn’t quite pay attention to the rest of the post.

Anyway, mes has a point. Because it’s on carpet, you’re kind of making the buggy an “on-road” car, except that it has to handle jumps as well. So if your shock package is good at handling the rough stuff, I wouldn’t touch them first.

DISCLAIMER - I literally bought a 22 two days ago - but coming from an on-road background, I can tell you that a little more caster will give you slightly less aggressive initial turn in, but will give you more mid to on-Power steering throughout the rest of the turn. That being said, you can try the next steering block available with less compensation for the arm kick-up, which should Give you that bit more caster. If the initial turn in fades too much, you could then try a softer roll bar (provided that you are not already on the softest) to see if that compensates for the lost turn in. As for some of the other more specific options available to the 22 (like the offset options available at the steering block, HRC changes, or more aggressive Ackerman), I’ll leave that to the vets who have been running the car a while; this is just the approach I would take from a general chassis perspective. You can easily revert the changes I suggested and give those 22 specific options a try. Anyway, I hope this helps, and again, if these guidelines are way off as far as buggies are concerned, feel free to call me out on it.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

kufman likes this.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

He contacted Losi and Frank Root was supposed to call him about the issue but never did. They ended up sending him a rebuild kit, but it's the same parts... So he did the rebuild and they still leak. He did not do the sanding of the spacer, as some have suggested. He assembled them as the manual states.

My feeling why should he be responsible for fixing a known issue? Losi should include the right spacer to begin with if that is the problem.
That sucks and sorry to hear that. I thought you got it resolved.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far, bit of a read but has been very helpful. I'm finally upgrading from my old modified 3.0 to a "new to me" 5.0, can't wait to get it out on the track.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Who knows why these things happen. I read some forum posts where a person had issues with 3 ESC's in a row, yet many others have never had issues with the same ESC. My 22 has been pretty worry free. I did have a few ball cups pop off on occasion, but after a few weeks of driving they stopped popping off. Fine ever since. Go figure.
I’m in the automotive industry and that reminds me of something I have direct knowledge of. Flat rate tech is complaining about have two crap alternators in a row. He states they’re bad right out of the box. I take a third one out into the shop and watch the install. This one pops as soon as he connects the cable because he never disconnected the battery. Not saying that’s the case with the person with the ESC problem, but sometimes people are in such a rush they forget the basics. Could also have been due to the person building/soldering the ESCs at the factory. Maybe they were having an off day and built a small run of them incorrectly or forgot a step. In my opinion electronics these days, to a certain degree, are fragile. Sometimes you can only do something in a specific set order during installation or you’ll have a problem. Hell, I’ve seen excessive dust and static electricity cause problems with electrical components sometimes.

TLR probably has more than one mold pumping out duplicates of the same plastic/composite parts for the kits. I’m sure the tolerances on the molds aren’t identical. Could explain why some people have issues and some people don’t even if built correctly. Like your kit compared to your son’s. I have a new built/never run GT2 and a new built/never run BJ4 WE that I built around the same time back when the kits were released. Both have been sitting/in storage. The GT2 shocks are dry. The BJ4 WE is soaked in oil. The shocks between them are identical other than the BJ4 WE has blue aluminum Factory Team shock caps and that’s where they’re leaking from. One day I’ll get around to taking the BJ4 WE apart and cleaning it. I’ll probably leave the shocks empty this time. Btw my 22 5.0 has aluminum shock caps and my B74 has the stock composite caps...
zipperfoot likes this.

Last edited by xenon55; 10-05-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kjp616 View Post
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far, bit of a read but has been very helpful. I'm finally upgrading from my old modified 3.0 to a "new to me" 5.0, can't wait to get it out on the track.
I agree. Iirc not a lot of brand bashing happened in the thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.