Like Tree833Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 09-25-2019, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
I don't know about shrinking but it does turn them into useless rocks. Or at least the hardest tires I've ever held for indoor off road racing, and thus slow and useless.

Maybe you can pop them in the oven for less change in the tire, but I think it'll still significantly change the tire. Anything other than carefully cutting the tire off the wheel will likely ruin the tire for racing use.
Originally Posted by waitwhat
Clay compound tires don't like acetone. It causes the tire to shrink. I've witnessed a buddy turn a set of stadium truck tires into basically a set of buggy rears. He soaked them in acetone though, just the fumes should not change the tire shape. Just don't leave them in the bucket for too long. If the rubber feels a little dry after acetone fumes, spray some wd40 on them to moisturize the rubber.
I used to drop the tyres straight into a bucket of water as soon as I removed them. We found the water stops the acetone in the tyre from evaporating and drawing out all of the natural oils in the rubber. Give it a go.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default 22 5.0 AC Carbon Shock Towers

Our track has switched over to carpet so it's all new to me. I'm thinking about picking up a +2 front shock tower. If i get the +2 for the front should i get the +2 for the rear? Do you run the 2mm on the shock eyelet with the +2 towers? Is the standard tower with the 2mm shock eyelet the same as the +2 tower with the standard shock eyelet? Does it really make that much difference with the +2 towers?

Appreciate any comments.

Last edited by slider3; 09-26-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slider3
Our track has switch over to carpet so it's all new to me. I'm thinking about picking up a +2 front shock tower. If i get the +2 for the front should i get the +2 for the rear? Do you run the 2mm on the shock eyelet with the +2 towers? Is the standard tower with the 2mm shock eyelet the same as the +2 tower with the standard shock eyelet? Does it really make that much difference with the +2 towers?

Appreciate any comments.
Not sure on your situation, but I'd seriously consider buying a 5.0 Elite and moving the AC parts over to that car. +2 towers alone are over $40, and you'll get a bunch more stuff that you'd probably like. Try to sell your old 5.0 for maybe $200-220 and you could have a really nice car for about $100 more than what you're paying just for towers.
zipperfoot and token like this.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Not sure on your situation, but I'd seriously consider buying a 5.0 Elite and moving the AC parts over to that car. +2 towers alone are over $40, and you'll get a bunch more stuff that you'd probably like. Try to sell your old 5.0 for maybe $200-220 and you could have a really nice car for about $100 more than what you're paying just for towers.
He may have also to buy both roll bars and a pinion gear diff if he wants to run on carpet.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Essejay
He may have also to buy both roll bars and a pinion gear diff if he wants to run on carpet.
Yah, I'm assuming he currently has an AC and can move all the carpet parts over to the Elite. Then sell the old chassis as a "dirt car" without the carpet parts on it and put the ball diff, etc. from the Elite there.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Yah, I'm assuming he currently has an AC and can move all the carpet parts over to the Elite. Then sell the old chassis as a "dirt car" without the carpet parts on it and put the ball diff, etc. from the Elite there.
Razor Rc. I do have an AC and itís a interesting idea you have. Not sure how well it would sell and what I could get for it once I mention I turned an AC into a DC buggy. The buggy is mint, only been on the track one day.
dcerven94 likes this.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For anyone that understands the pill system, what insert would i use to achieve 1 or 2 degrees of rear toe instead of the stock 3 degrees? Would like to run 2 antisquat and either 1 or 2 degrees of toe. Still a little confused myself on the pill system.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hi all,

Just looking at picking up a DC elite to race in 17.5t stock class on a high grip dirt track (SIC surface - its a dirt/gravel surface sprayed with a 'glue' to seal the surface, making it hard as a rock and course sand paper like surface).

Any ideas why parts to get (both tuning and spares)? I am new to Off-Road but not racing.

Do Xray XB2 wheels fit this car?

And what setup to start with?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Ugh, buggies have gotten so complicated, lol. When I was looking to maybe just continue with AE, it was bewildering just trying to figure out what parts would be handy to have to convert the 6.1 from one surface to the other (I'm not willing to invest in two separate buggies just yet). I live in Florida, and while the two tracks that I have closest to me are both traditional dirt tracks, if I should decide that I want to travel for a few races, there are at least a few tracks upstate that are A/C surfaces. Then there's the fact that I might want to start off running 17.5 - is there any extreme advantage to preparing the car specifically with the SR setup? The Elite is attractive to me no matter what, because, holy cow, they are pretty much throwing the kitchen sink in that kit as far as optionals go, and the price is ridiculously good for what you get, even if I do have to pay the $16 for a set of wheels.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Ugh, buggies have gotten so complicated, lol. When I was looking to maybe just continue with AE, it was bewildering just trying to figure out what parts would be handy to have to convert the 6.1 from one surface to the other (I'm not willing to invest in two separate buggies just yet). I live in Florida, and while the two tracks that I have closest to me are both traditional dirt tracks, if I should decide that I want to travel for a few races, there are at least a few tracks upstate that are A/C surfaces. Then there's the fact that I might want to start off running 17.5 - is there any extreme advantage to preparing the car specifically with the SR setup? The Elite is attractive to me no matter what, because, holy cow, they are pretty much throwing the kitchen sink in that kit as far as optionals go, and the price is ridiculously good for what you get, even if I do have to pay the $16 for a set of wheels.
At my indoor clay track, all of us run the standard slipper setup as it makes the acceleration and jumping more predictable. MIP pucks are the way to go if you want to be really fast in stock anyways. Nothing wrong with buying the non-SR versions.
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by purplerain

At my indoor clay track, all of us run the standard slipper setup as it makes the acceleration and jumping more predictable. MIP pucks are the way to go if you want to be really fast in stock anyways. Nothing wrong with buying the non-SR versions.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you also run the optional weight under the gearbox/C block?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slider3
Our track has switched over to carpet so it's all new to me. I'm thinking about picking up a +2 front shock tower. If i get the +2 for the front should i get the +2 for the rear? Do you run the 2mm on the shock eyelet with the +2 towers? Is the standard tower with the 2mm shock eyelet the same as the +2 tower with the standard shock eyelet? Does it really make that much difference with the +2 towers?

Appreciate any comments.
+2 tower with +2 eyelets doesn't change anything. +2 eyelets give 2mm more down travel and 2mm less up travel. +2 towers give 2mm more up travel and 2mm less up travel.

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Hi all,

Just looking at picking up a DC elite to race in 17.5t stock class on a high grip dirt track (SIC surface - its a dirt/gravel surface sprayed with a 'glue' to seal the surface, making it hard as a rock and course sand paper like surface).

Any ideas why parts to get (both tuning and spares)? I am new to Off-Road but not racing.

Do Xray XB2 wheels fit this car?

And what setup to start with?

Many thanks in advance.
For spares, a set of arms, a pack of ball cups, and an extra set of hubs and spindles should be good to start.

No, X-Ray wheels won't fit in the front and the rears might be able to fit, but I'm not sure/familiar with their off-set.

Try this setup - http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil..._OCRC-8-19.pdf
Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
+2 tower with +2 eyelets doesn't change anything. +2 eyelets give 2mm more down travel and 2mm less up travel. +2 towers give 2mm more up travel and 2mm less up travel.

For spares, a set of arms, a pack of ball cups, and an extra set of hubs and spindles should be good to start.

No, X-Ray wheels won't fit in the front and the rears might be able to fit, but I'm not sure/familiar with their off-set.

Try this setup - http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil..._OCRC-8-19.pdf
Thanks heaps Frank! Much appreciated.

One last question, gear diff vs ball diff? I see in the setup and all the dirt based setups only use ball diffs (even on high grip tracks), why is that? how often do you rebuild them?

Thanks again,
Leonard.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Any guys building a Kinwald tribute buggy. I have a couple of BK Bar rear tires for sale PM me for price. Never opened .
zipperfoot likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.