Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 02-13-2024, 03:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fifi
Merci.
In term of driving and feeling are there any differences in the 2 mods.
I think the shock body are v2 avid 13mm.
They are unreleased TLR 13mm shocks, the Avid 13mm bodies have the hex so you can hold them securely to tighten the cap. The B6 front end mod feels smoother and not as aggressive as the standard front end mod. Works great on lower grip tracks where the standard front end mod can feel a bit too twitchy, also has much less jacking effect than the standard F.E.M. Personal preference though, some have switched to the B6 front and and haven't switched back.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

anyone know if the B6.4 body will fit the losi?? May be scraping my AE car.. Also curious as to what the B6 front end made entails??
Old 02-14-2024, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
anyone know if the B6.4 body will fit the losi?? May be scraping my AE car.. Also curious as to what the B6 front end made entails??
Not even close, and scroll up.
jabroni racing likes this.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco73
They are unreleased TLR 13mm shocks, the Avid 13mm bodies have the hex so you can hold them securely to tighten the cap. The B6 front end mod feels smoother and not as aggressive as the standard front end mod. Works great on lower grip tracks where the standard front end mod can feel a bit too twitchy, also has much less jacking effect than the standard F.E.M. Personal preference though, some have switched to the B6 front and and haven't switched back.
Merci
Old 02-14-2024, 05:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Besides the B6 caster blocks, hubs, axles etc you'll need to either run a Vision Racing front camber link (2mm lower camber link locations) or Avid inner ball studs (which are 1mm shorter than TLR). The B6 hub is much shorter than the TLR hub so you'll end up with, at best, zero camber gain or positive camber gain. Not sure if that's what its called but essentially the tire will gain camber as the suspension compresses. Also, you'll need to source a hinge pin and shim the hub however you can to minimize tire rubbing on the arm as the TLR arm is much wider at the outer hinge pin than the B6 arm. Plus you'll probably need to clearance the arm a bit anyway to minimize tire rub. Those are the biggies but you may have to play with +1 or +2 steering arms and/or shimming out the wheel as on full lock the tire may rub on the outer steering ball cup. I think that's all lol
Old 02-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Are there other companies that make front arms for the 22 5.0?
Old 02-19-2024, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

AE
Old 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Do you know the part number or which AE model? Also is this a straight swap, or do I need other parts to make it work?
Old 02-21-2024, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t-roth
Do you know the part number or which AE model? Also is this a straight swap, or do I need other parts to make it work?
ASC90042 works really well
Old 02-21-2024, 02:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
ASC90042 works really well

nrtv20 likes this.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Hehe. I had too. I started racing with used out of date TLRs and getting parts was hard. 1.0 SCT and 2.0 buggy.

Crazy to me that parts support has been this bad for months.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Hehe. I had too. I started racing with used out of date TLRs and getting parts was hard. 1.0 SCT and 2.0 buggy.

Crazy to me that parts support has been this bad for months.
The manufacturing capacity in Taiwan has been limited since COVID.

Even right now its difficult to get some B7 parts, especially the legacy 6.4 parts that interchange with the B7, because all of their manufacturing time has been spent on producing new B7 kits.

For Horizon, I rather suspect that the amount of machined parts required on the ProMoto really ate into their production time allotments for other things, like spares.

I cant speak to AE or HH directly, but generally speaking, most of these companies dont own their own manufacturing facilities, and lease the time on the machines from a third party manufacturing company. So if they have a massive run of new products, the supply chain of replacement parts is going to suffer greatly.

You add a lot of new stuff all out at the same time, and it doesnt take much to get jammed up. The current social political issues between Taiwan, China, the US, and Japan, not helping matters when the materials are coming from China. And things like Raw Titanium coming from Russia...well...that shouldnt take much explaining to know why thats an issue.

The whole Asian manufacturing sector has never fully recovered from COVID, and every curve ball that gets thrown just makes it worse. At some point in the not so distant future, it may normalize, but it will never go back to the pre-pandemic "normal".
DimiChargers likes this.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
The manufacturing capacity in Taiwan has been limited since COVID.

Even right now its difficult to get some B7 parts, especially the legacy 6.4 parts that interchange with the B7, because all of their manufacturing time has been spent on producing new B7 kits.

For Horizon, I rather suspect that the amount of machined parts required on the ProMoto really ate into their production time allotments for other things, like spares.

I cant speak to AE or HH directly, but generally speaking, most of these companies dont own their own manufacturing facilities, and lease the time on the machines from a third party manufacturing company. So if they have a massive run of new products, the supply chain of replacement parts is going to suffer greatly.

You add a lot of new stuff all out at the same time, and it doesnt take much to get jammed up. The current social political issues between Taiwan, China, the US, and Japan, not helping matters when the materials are coming from China. And things like Raw Titanium coming from Russia...well...that shouldnt take much explaining to know why thats an issue.

The whole Asian manufacturing sector has never fully recovered from COVID, and every curve ball that gets thrown just makes it worse. At some point in the not so distant future, it may normalize, but it will never go back to the pre-pandemic "normal".
What are you talking about? AEs had some small shortages of a few things here and there since the shut down but nothing on the scale of TLR. Heck when the 5.0 was new the fix for broken and out of stock shock shafts was buying AE parts.

The only thing AE is suffering from is not stocking enough steering parts before the launch of the B7. Meanwhile TLR had to post on facebook it'll be 2 months before most of their parts are in stock. Oh and this launch of the 7 is better than the 6.4 for parts availablilty.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

What are you talking about? AEs had some small shortages of a few things here and there since the shut down but nothing on the scale of TLR. Heck when the 5.0 was new the fix for broken and out of stock shock shafts was buying AE parts.

The only thing AE is suffering from is not stocking enough steering parts before the launch of the B7. Meanwhile TLR had to post on facebook it'll be 2 months before most of their parts are in stock. Oh and this launch of the 7 is better than the 6.4 for parts availablilty.
Huh?
You ask me what i am talking about, then proceed to repeat what i said? Hmmm...

The AE shortages were because they were shifting parts production to build the new kits. Specific 6.4 carbon and aluminum parts started to dry about about 2 months ago. Things like the servo mounts and the 6.3/4 gullwing shock towers. I would imagine because those raw materials, like the carbon sheets, were being fully used for B7 production.

As for the interchangeable parts, its more than just the aluminum FT steering bell cranks. Its the 5mm axles in aluminum and titanium, both variants. Its 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm hex's. Kashima shock kits. Ventilated and standard slipper plates. Titanium slipper top shaft. Yellow slipper pads in both sizes. ESC Trays in Steel, and Carbon. All interchangeable bits that were also likely sidelined while B7 production ramped up. But stores were quickly depleted from demand. Not just from people wanting them for their new B7, but also people who jsut bought someone elses B6.4 slider, and wants to do a refresh of the wearable parts.

And then secondary to that is all of the tuning consumables like pistons, shock shafts, ball studs, shims. They have been on a yo-yo of availability as well.
For sure, AE's issues are no where NEAR what the HH situation is. HH really bungled their logistics. We will likely never get a clear answer as to whether it was raw materials procurement, machining time constraints, contract issues, or even just as simple as stretching their resources too thin to get the ProMoto out.
Regardless of how bad HH situation is, and it is bad, arguably one of the worst in the RC industry. The big take away from all of this is that South East Asian Manufacturing is in a real bad place. It doesnt matter if your making RC cars, Power Tools, or Alarm Clocks. If you have manufacturing and assembly out or Taiwan, or worked materials out of China, or raw materials out of Russia...or any combination of the three...youre in a bad place, with very few options to pick up production or materials elsewhere, and you can be certain it will cost way more. We should be lucky that our Hobby hasnt seen more inflation and shortages than it has already in the last 4 years.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

The big question is whether this will force RC companies to have better resiliency for manufacturing and supply chain. Relying on a single partner/geography is a high risk.

TBH, the parts shortage for Losi could very well kill them as a racing brand especially when you add in the 22 hasn’t seen an update in years. The Minis have been a bit better supported with updates et al, but even there parts shortages are starting to pop up. While AE may have some parts shortages now with the ramp up for the B7, in general parts for them are more widely available than TLR, Schumacher, Kyosho or Yokomo. It ends up reinforcing them as a default option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.