Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 01-20-2024, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

people are 100% entitled to their opinions, though sometimes i wonder what those opinions are based upon. here we go...again.

"deeply unserious about racing"
current/reigning 2wd world and roar national champion. also just won the clash event 2 weeks ago competing against ae's us team debut of their latest platform (neither outcome saying either product is better, just pointing out that hh/tlr is in fact serious/committing resources to the 1/10 offroad racing segment), and other brands top US representatives.

"HH, as a whole, is not a "race oriented" company"
fully agree. neither is ae (thunder tiger), kyosho, schumacher, tamiya, yokomo... come to think of it, is there any current 1/10 company producing the majority of a kit (say excluding wheels and electronics) that is race oriented only?

i do fully agree about lack of parts availability being a no-go. i was looking at front/rear arms for ae b6 from RPM ('Made in the USA (wewt)) vs. ae (which i am assuming are offshored/least cost). the RPM arms were 30% more ($12.99 vs. $.9.99) and asumedly would have to included all of RPMs go-to market costs (concept, design, development, molds, packaging, marketing, distribution, etc.). it made me wonder, given hh/tlr has already done 3/4 of the work otherwise (design, cad, materials selection, etc.), could they not simply enter into an agreement with RPM wherein hh/tlr provides the molds/materials and has the manufacturing done in the USA at a near comparable, or even nominally increased, price. i won't hijack this thread (further), but it seems there are a WHOLE BUNCH of net positives with something like this. maybe it crushes margins, but rpm has been able to stay around for decades, so something is viable.
nielsm likes this.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gee-dub
people are 100% entitled to their opinions, though sometimes i wonder what those opinions are based upon. here we go...again.

current/reigning 2wd world and roar national champion. also just won the clash event 2 weeks ago competing against ae's us team debut of their latest platform (neither outcome saying either product is better, just pointing out that hh/tlr is in fact serious/committing resources to the 1/10 offroad racing segment), and other brands top US representatives.
We all have our opinions and I am likely being hyperbolic. I've been running TLR for the last 18 months and the cars have been truly great for me. I've been running a B74.2d for a couple weeks and still can't get the same comfort as my 22x4!

Don't forget though, Tater's car that won worlds was also running modded AE spindles, 22x4 rear arms, and 13mm shocks that still haven't been released to the public. Ongaro's car was built the weekend before the race using the kit plus some FT upgrades

To me, seriousness means they actually invest in bringing new products to market and supporting shops and racers. TLR hasn't done a thing over the past 18 months to make my cars faster. Anytime something breaks I panic because I don't know if I'll have a spare or or if the shop has anything. I still need to remove and disassemble the entire transmission anytime I want to refresh my diff.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Pre-mounted carpet tires for Tlr 22 5.0

I've been doing some research on the new rig I just picked up. TLR 22 5.0 AC. There is a local hobby shop finishing an offroad carpet track, I was wondering is there any pre mounted tires that actually fit the car without any modifications.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gee-dub

i do fully agree about lack of parts availability being a no-go.
IDK how tater won the worlds. It was super tough conditions on weird square slicks. Clash though, Rivkin should have had it. That track is super hard and brutal on parts. I broke two arms this weekend running on the same track and I was not going nearly as fast as he was. I did get a chance to watch the mains at the track and man the B7 is smooth. Every other car (minus maybe the Schumachers) all did small corrections in a lot of the corners that was hard to see on camera. It looked good, and its brand new. Theres still lots of work to be done on the setup and getting used to it since its so different. I dont understand how 2 drivers winning 2 races is HH supporting the racing side of the hobby. Seems like the drivers are carrying the brand to me.

I've been tempted to try a 5.0. But with the amount of stuff you have to do for a competitive setup, its absurd. And lack of parts. And lack of quick access diff. And aftermarket parts needed. I was tempted before the B7 was announced. Goodluck TLR.

Its funny though as much as people complain about the cost of racing, AE and Xray sure do sell a lot of kits every time they release new ones. At least AEs 2wd releases every 14-18 months are about the perfect timing for a well worn buggy to be replaced.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And sunday night racing I break a losi HD tie rod end. The front camber one and shop has none in stock. Lol.
went to an ae ball stud. Different spacer to try and make em even and an ae ball stud end I had.
see if it lasts till I manage to get some. Urg. Made the a main bump just to break in an aggressive 17.5 race. Lol. Didn't ev3n make it 2 or 3 laps till the carnage
Darn.
D
Mac The Knife likes this.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
I dont understand how 2 drivers winning 2 races is HH supporting the racing side of the hobby. Seems like the drivers are carrying the brand to me.
i'm sure some thread sheriffs have their trigger fingers itching that i'm hijacking the thread (fair enough, i might be), but i'll address this question.

my comments actually referenced winning three races: the worlds, roar nationals, and clash, and we're geared towards gaining understanding of a prior comment that hh/tlr's ongoing investment in fielding a competitive travel team (let alone one that is consistently winning at the highest levels in the segment) is somehow "deeply unserious about racing". on some interview somewhere (radio impound podcast?), cliff lett talked about the costs associated (pun intended) with fielding a paid team of travel racers/employees as part of marketing. my position would be that hh/tlrs opening of the purse strings shows a commitment (i.e. 'seriousness') to the segment. amount of $$ vs. size of segment is a whole different topic and i've already abused this thread enough 8).

re: "how 2 drivers winning 2 races is HH supporting the racing side" and "drivers are carrying the brand to me"
two drivers can be reeeeaaaally important to a given brand. take ae for instance, remove two drivers from their roster and they haven't won a worlds, in ANY category, in over a decade!
Old 01-22-2024, 04:46 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Unfortunately I can only see HH/TLR spending money on a travel team and the RPP without producing anything to generate revenue from the racing side of things, Mini, LMT and Arrma TLR tuned accessories aside. It's an ideal set-up for cancelling the brand for "economic reasons". For everyone in the US I hope they'll recover from their current state, but I have recently given up hope for the other parts of the world. #WeAreTLR #DriveAE is where it's at for me.
​​​​​​The thing is that most likely it was most an economically sound decision to commit the Performance team to the dirt bike project instead of the 2WD program no matter if we as racers like it or not. Maybe we'll find out what TLR has been working on all the time one day, maybe not. Over and out!
J@UNE likes this.

Last edited by mes; 01-22-2024 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Sending drivers to those big races is the most basic support you can do.

Not having parts for everyone to buy is pretty sub standard. But whatever floats your boat.
gee-dub and ChocoTaco73 like this.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trying to help a friend out and didnít see an answer

Aside from running AE style wheels, when you do the front end mod, this gives you substantially more steering overall throughout the entire corner, correct?

trying to decide which degree of caster blocks to try.

Iím kind of leaning towards suggesting 5į
Iím thinking maybe 0į would be too aggressive if the front end mod already gives substantially more steering
Old 01-23-2024, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by iDesign5
Trying to help a friend out and didnít see an answer

Aside from running AE style wheels, when you do the front end mod, this gives you substantially more steering overall throughout the entire corner, correct?

trying to decide which degree of caster blocks to try.

Iím kind of leaning towards suggesting 5į
Iím thinking maybe 0į would be too aggressive if the front end mod already gives substantially more steering
Seems like 0 degree blocks are used almost universally. I'd start there and can always mod and toss in the 5 degrees if it's too much.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone still running the 22 5.0 in the UK - not see one racing in ages.
Been offered a new build one super cheap but would be good to hear if UK racers struggle with spares, and how's the handling on EOS carpet?
Old 02-12-2024, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Can't remember can someone clarify the differences between the traditional front end mod and the mod used at the world with asso parts.

Has anyone tried with new b7 front?
Old 02-13-2024, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BuggyFan21
Anyone still running the 22 5.0 in the UK - not see one racing in ages.
Been offered a new build one super cheap but would be good to hear if UK racers struggle with spares, and how's the handling on EOS carpet?
All the guys I knew who used them have moved off due to the spares issues
Old 02-13-2024, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fifi
Can't remember can someone clarify the differences between the traditional front end mod and the mod used at the world with asso parts.

Has anyone tried with new b7 front?

Standard Front End Mod with Shortened Arms.
Note these shock bodies appear to be Schumacher Kashima Coat shocks.

Team Associated B6.3/4 front Hub and Spindle Assembly. The assumption is that these are the standard 5mm AE front axels as well.
AE front Hinge Pin Held in with a single Screw at the bottom of the hub, normally this is a grub screw, they used a standard M2 screw here for some reason.
Unsure of whether those are the +3 or +4 hubs. Again, the logical assumption would be the +3 offset, as that would be closest to the TLR front humb in the middle trail position, as is commonly run with the Front End Mod.
There is a Caster Angle Insert in the AE Hub that we cant see. It looks like he may be using the 0 or the 2.5 insert.

They are using a series of 3x8 shims to center the front spindle on the hinge pin.
Note the shaved 22X-4 arms, with standard 22 5.0 C and D blocks.

It looks like there is 2mm or 2.5mm worth of shim in the front of the hub, and the rest is there to make up the gap in the rear of the hub.

One .5mm Plastic Bulkhead Shim, and one 1mm Brass Bulkhead Shim.

View of the Rear End Geometry and Shims.
D block, Center Pill location. No idea what the C Block is running, but i doubt its center.
Again Note the Schumacher Kashima Shocks, these look like the longer Stadium Truck shock bodies.

Full Team Brood Magnesium Motor Mount, and Aluminum Slipper Plates.
b.j.a likes this.

Last edited by BigBuckORamma; 02-13-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Merci.
In term of driving and feeling are there any differences in the 2 mods.
I think the shock body are v2 avid 13mm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.