Like Tree879Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 01-03-2024, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@BBoR - At nowhere in my comments did I mention a specific model/platform. My remark was intended to ponder the validity of a statement that a brand (horizon), identified as "just a basher now", may in fact spend some (significant?) amount of resources to develop and compete, and compete successfully at that, at the highest levels of competition. Whether and if certain iterative development (prototyping) changes are deemed worthy of general release is likely a different conversation; though if we were to have that conversation, I would definitely be 'calling out' AE for wherethehellismy89and91carreleasesat? i've been jonesing for that '91 kit in particular, not a 3rd party reproduction, for almost a quarter of a century now.

if it counts for anything, AE considers their never-released 89 and 91 chassis rc10s. from their site:
10 1991 Masami Hirosaka RC10 1:10 Off-Road Electric, 2WD Detroit, MI
8 1989 Masami Hirosaka RC10 1:10 Off-Road Electric, 2WD St. Ives, New South Wales, Australia

as for electronics, i fully agree/support your position on paid drivers (aka independent contractors) maximizing their income and opportunities. that was actually part of the point i was going towards indirectly. just because the independent contractor does not use a singular employers full product line does not mean those product(s) are deficient. the OP implied differently ("doesn't even use their own radio system anymore"). i was hoping to convey the absurdity that the reedy (re)branded electronics are somehow deficient simply because said independent contractors are doing what is in their (and their families) best interests.

in full disclosure, i have not had a spektrum radio product since the 2.4 plug-in modules. i've read the internet chatter over the years from brown-outs to high latency complaints and whatnot. without personal experience, i've taken these complaints with a grain of salt while also digesting phend's win, after win, after win... if spektrum is truly as bad as many people online are saying (not excluding your own comments), and phend has been as successful as he has, then there is no reason we should not see kinwald/cavalieri-prime-era levels of dominance this year. anything less and i'm thinking there may be a bit more to it.

ps - i'm more of a helen mirren kinda guy! 8)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=gee-dub;16063103]
in full disclosure, i have not had a spektrum radio product since the 2.4 plug-in modules. i've read the internet chatter over the years from brown-outs to high latency complaints and whatnot. without personal experience, i've taken these complaints with a grain of salt while also digesting phend's win, after win, after win... if spektrum is truly as bad as many people online are saying (not excluding your own comments), and phend has been as successful as he has, then there is no reason we should not see kinwald/cavalieri-prime-era levels of dominance this year. anything less and i'm thinking there may be a bit more to it.

Itís widely known that Phends Spektrum radios havenít used Spektrum internals for quite some time, so I think that theory is out the window. To see that level of domination youíll also have to see Phend stop taking himself out of nearly every race with a crash from pushing too hard. Iíd look for him to use a Flysky this weekend at Clash of Champions if that pic from a few weeks ago was any indication. 🤷‍♂️ Or maybe theyíre just messing with people. Lol
Old 01-03-2024, 06:50 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Flysky have signed many big names to make a push into the car market. A friend of mine has used the Noble for quite a while and I took the opportunity to try it. If you like the feel of the M17 and want something different than the horrible touch pad, you might like it. As a Futaba user I can only wonder what they pay all these top drivers, I'd never trade in my 10PX for a Flysky, user preference.

But there's one more question: Why is all of this discussed in the 22 5.0 thread? 😉
Old 01-07-2024, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
He is talking about the AVID C Block for the 5.0 that allows you to use 22X-4 arms without modifying the arm.

Which has the same function as the Vision Racing C Block, but it doesnt have the center screw in the chassis mid plate, so you can still run weights, or the TLR transmission case brace.
If using the Avid C Block, whats a good starting pill setup for high grip clay? 17.5 stock.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Any idea when we will see some parts back in stock? Unless we see something on shelves within a week or two we are going to shelf the TLR cars and move on. This is laughable and really embarrassing for TLR at this pointÖ.
mes and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:34 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dirtryder219
Any idea when we will see some parts back in stock? Unless we see something on shelves within a week or two we are going to shelf the TLR cars and move on. This is laughable and really embarrassing for TLR at this pointÖ.
It's really heartbreaking. They've got a great bunch of drivers and designers, but apparently no company backing. Horizon didn't even mention Tater's Worlds title in the 2023 highlights on Facebook.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dirtryder219
I've heard rumors that factory drivers were told to not expect any parts support for at least 3-4 more months.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
If using the Avid C Block, whats a good starting pill setup for high grip clay? 17.5 stock.
If you're not looking to get 0 degrees of toe that the Avid and Vision c blocks provide for, might as well just cut down the 22x-4 arms to fit the stock C block. That way a narrow pivot is still an option. Otherwise, if you're standard arm pill setup is middle/middle you'll need middle in the D block and 1 in for the C block to have the same toe.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default It's 2024 now?

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Glad to hear, I hope some of those good things have a 6 or an AC in their names!
Been patiently waiting for the release of a new TLR 2wd.. have been driving AE for 3 years now B6.1 B6.2 B6.3 and now The B6.4! even though the new B7 looks amazing im just in the mood to Switch or try something different. I have now gotten a TLR 22 5.0 AC which im keen to try as ive always been a TLR fan but not sure how it will stack up to the 6.4? still busy building the kit. With the new Mugen, B7 and The LD3 on the horizon.. im not sure yet what to pull the trigger on.. hoping TLR will wake up and surprise us with a new 2wd
Old 01-20-2024, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rhinus
Been patiently waiting for the release of a new TLR 2wd.. have been driving AE for 3 years now B6.1 B6.2 B6.3 and now The B6.4! even though the new B7 looks amazing im just in the mood to Switch or try something different. I have now gotten a TLR 22 5.0 AC which im keen to try as ive always been a TLR fan but not sure how it will stack up to the 6.4? still busy building the kit. With the new Mugen, B7 and The LD3 on the horizon.. im not sure yet what to pull the trigger on.. hoping TLR will wake up and surprise us with a new 2wd
Unfortunately...and, I'm fairly certain others can/will agree with me on this...it's looking, more & more, as if TLR is, essentially, "abandoning" the AC side of this vehicle (as TLR 22 5.0 'updates' since the initial 22 5.0 release has been dirt/clay specific). I might even go so far as to say that they might have even "given up" on the 1/10 2WD buggy. I know many want to see a 6.0, as the 5.0 is extremely "long in the tooth"...but, when you consider that the other manufacturers have updated theirs at least twice (some might even be three times by now, I've lost count), and TLR hasn't done anything, it's really looking as if Horizon Hobby (Losi's 'parent' company) is looking at how to 'best' focus their total efforts.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Unfortunately...and, I'm fairly certain others can/will agree with me on this...it's looking, more & more, as if TLR is, essentially, "abandoning" the AC side of this vehicle (as TLR 22 5.0 'updates' since the initial 22 5.0 release has been dirt/clay specific). I might even go so far as to say that they might have even "given up" on the 1/10 2WD buggy. I know many want to see a 6.0, as the 5.0 is extremely "long in the tooth"...but, when you consider that the other manufacturers have updated theirs at least twice (some might even be three times by now, I've lost count), and TLR hasn't done anything, it's really looking as if Horizon Hobby (Losi's 'parent' company) is looking at how to 'best' focus their total efforts.
Iíve had my 22 5.0 and 22x4 elites for about 18 months and there have been zero updates other than a longer chassis during this time. Theyíve also only gotten worst with parts support too.

At this point TLR is deeply unserious about racing and supporting their racers. Itís a huge bummer because these cars are still really good.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You'd have to be a fool or living under a rock to think a buying a TLR is a good idea right now. Most spares are impossible to find right now and according to someone who messaged Frank Root on Facebook, they won't be here for another few months. So if you even manage to find a new kit to buy right now, you could drive it once, snap a front a-arm, and have to shelf the car for months until spares finally show back up.

Even if parts support weren't an issue, TLR has no out of the box carpet car. The AC was discontinued and they have no plans to bring it back. You'd have to buy either the DC elite or the race roller and spend a ton of money getting the parts you need for running on carpet.

And going back to the non-existent parts support, if you bought a DCE and want to race on carpet you're shit out of luck - it comes with a ball diff and the gear diffs are impossible to find right now.

Long story short, buy literally any other car than a TLR right now. It's just not worth it and at this point despite what Frank Root may say otherwise, it's safe to assume TLR as a brand is dead and the 2wd platform is not a priority or even supported anymore.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by b.j.a
At this point TLR is deeply unserious about racing and supporting their racers. Itís a huge bummer because these cars are still really good.
I can't be 100% certain, but I'm fairly confident in saying, I don't think it's Losi/TLR...I'm 99% certain it's Horizon Hobby. HH, as a whole, is not a "race oriented" company...they prefer to focus on 'bashing' vehicles. Yes, they have their crawler side (Axial)...but, even that has been "less productive" when compared to more than a few years ago. When you consider all the brands under the HH 'umbrella' (31 brands, and counting), and you look at the structure of what each brand's primary focus is, you can see that they seem to be getting further from 'racing'...especially off-road racing.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

The irony is the Mini B/T has gotten more support from TLR/Horizon in the past few years than the 1/10 buggy. I just picked up a TLR sway bar setup for my Mini B today at my LHS. My local track has some very competitive Mini T/B winter racing and TLR has released a huge amount of upgrade parts in the past few months. Does this mean TLR will now focus on Minis instead of 1/10 or 1/8? I donít know. TBH, I was out of off road racing since the 80s when I ran Associated RC10s and the Mini T/B was my first racing since touring cars in the 90s. They were also my first Losi. I think the Minis have the potential to be a feeder to 1/10 (Iíve got my 8 year old son running the minis with me). But, if TLR donít update the 1/10 buggies, Iíd look at a B7 if my son & I bump up to larger scale.

Originally Posted by Panther6834
I can't be 100% certain, but I'm fairly confident in saying, I don't think it's Losi/TLR...I'm 99% certain it's Horizon Hobby. HH, as a whole, is not a "race oriented" company...they prefer to focus on 'bashing' vehicles. Yes, they have their crawler side (Axial)...but, even that has been "less productive" when compared to more than a few years ago. When you consider all the brands under the HH 'umbrella' (31 brands, and counting), and you look at the structure of what each brand's primary focus is, you can see that they seem to be getting further from 'racing'...especially off-road racing.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya but it's carpet...I run a losi buggy and hope parts support will return.
d

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.