Like Tree863Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 10-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I watched the A main for Masters of Dirt and Phend's car looked like it was just swapping ends willy nilly. If that's how the car drives with all those mods then I don't want them anywhere near my car.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I watched the A main for Masters of Dirt and Phend's car looked like it was just swapping ends willy nilly. If that's how the car drives with all those mods then I don't want them anywhere near my car.
Someone asked earlier what the effect of putting a pair of 3.5mm shaft shocks in the rear would be, and this pretty much explains it (assuming that’s what he ran in that main). All other things being equal, the 3.5’s are going to be ”lazier” due to the additional pack that the thicker shaft produces when the shock is compressing. With the 3.0’s up front, it’s gonna be livelier, while the rear just slides along.

Now, I can see why someone would try that - the additional pack will allow the buggy to absorb jumps better at the cost of response on landing. And placing 3.0’s up front could have been a way to try and mitigate by offering a bit quicker recovery off the landing.

That being said, Dakotah is as aggressive a driver as you will find - he literally goes for it full bore from tiento turn - but if the grip level wasn’t up to his expectation, then that might explain poor grip he ended up with. I’ll also just add that this kind of setup decision is one that very few drivers would probably try, but he is at that level of talent to Bro rig the few that could deal with it if the o dictions favor it.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Maybe that’s the way he drives?
Old 10-28-2022, 10:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
Switching focus to the front of his car, it is incredible to see just how..."hacked up", the front end of the car is.

Like i would expect that the parts would be a little more finely finished than they are. But no, the are straight up hacked. The end of the cars look like they were flat cut off, a cut off wheel. And the Spindles look like they were hacked into with a cutting wheel too, and then mildly cleaned up with a sanding drum.

I dont know why, but i would have expected the car to have some machined spindles on there, or parts that were more finely modified than that. But, i guess like many other real life race cars, it doesnt need to be pretty to work.
If you think that looks hacked up, you should have seen what Brian Kinwald used to do to his XXX-S with a dremel.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

I didnt see that at all. What i saw was his car absolutely hooked up. He was able to turn in significantly tighter on the hairpins, and hold the inside line through almost every corner. On his battle in the A-Main with Tater Sontag, you can watch him turn under Tater at almost every single corner. The car never looked flustered, it just looked like it had a ton of steering on demand. And the eventual move that Dakotah put in on Tater, was in the big NASCAR turn, and he was able to drive the car down inside with no drama. Where Taters car was clearly not as planted in the track.

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Someone asked earlier what the effect of putting a pair of 3.5mm shaft shocks in the rear would be, and this pretty much explains it (assuming that’s what he ran in that main). All other things being equal, the 3.5’s are going to be ”lazier” due to the additional pack that the thicker shaft produces when the shock is compressing. With the 3.0’s up front, it’s gonna be livelier, while the rear just slides along.

Now, I can see why someone would try that - the additional pack will allow the buggy to absorb jumps better at the cost of response on landing. And placing 3.0’s up front could have been a way to try and mitigate by offering a bit quicker recovery off the landing.

That being said, Dakotah is as aggressive a driver as you will find - he literally goes for it full bore from tiento turn - but if the grip level wasn’t up to his expectation, then that might explain poor grip he ended up with. I’ll also just add that this kind of setup decision is one that very few drivers would probably try, but he is at that level of talent to Bro rig the few that could deal with it if the o dictions favor it.
Now, right were Dakotah made that move on Tater, was in a section of the track where a lot of the drivers were complaining about a very lumpy bump mid corner. I think that is the whole reason why Dakotah went with the 3.5m shafts on the rear was to calm down the rear end, and absorb some of those awkward mid corner bumps, and keep the car stable, so he could stay on throttle through that turn.
I also feel that because of the generally lumpy condition of the track as a whole, this is also why Spencer did so well with the new 13mm AE shocks on this layout.
MrLean likes this.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
If you think that looks hacked up, you should have seen what Brian Kinwald used to do to his XXX-S with a dremel.
He didnt do too much better with the XX either.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
He didnt do too much better with the XX either.
As in racing? Or modifying stuff?
Old 10-29-2022, 02:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
As in racing? Or modifying stuff?
Modifying. He made swiss cheese out of the XX.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is their a complete list of parts for the front steering mod? A guide anywhere?
Old 10-30-2022, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
A guide? No.

But this set up sheet from SDRC ROAR Nats is the closest to a full description as you will get.

The biggest thing is that you need to remove material from the spindles for this to work.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
See Rhett's post TLR 22 5.0
BigBuckORamma likes this.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone have a template to drill the 22t chassis? I’ve been drilling by measuring holes but it’s just takes too long. I figured by now someone might have made a template.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Next week end big carpet race.
Friday live with Frank Root answering questions.
Is it because of a big news on Thursday 😅😅
mes likes this.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fifi
Next week end big carpet race.
Friday live with Frank Root answering questions.
Is it because of a big news on Thursday 😅😅
They just had a Halloween sale on the roller and Elite.. The dust has settled from that. It's coming up on the 3rd Thursday of November..
I think you right! TLR 22 6.0 ELITE!!?!
Old 11-15-2022, 10:11 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
They just had a Halloween sale on the roller and Elite.. The dust has settled from that. It's coming up on the 3rd Thursday of November..
I think you right! TLR 22 6.0 ELITE!!?!
If there was a fully new kit (22 6.0 or 22X), they would probably save the Elite treatment for later. The only Elite option I could think of would be a 22 AC Elite or DC Elite V2. I do hope there will be a really new one, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.