Like Tree748Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 10-18-2022, 04:08 AM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JaGWolfgang View Post
Does anyone know if a new carpet buggy is coming soon? My son is wanting to get into racing and our local track is a carpet track. If there is one coming soon I would like to wait and get it for him. If not then I guess I will need to go with an AE buggy since the carpet 5.0 was discontinued. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The DC Roller had a gear diff and is a great option for the price. Add some Associated V2 red/blue or blue/blue springs and you should be good to go. I do hope that there will be a new carpet car soon, but it's all speculation as of now.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Huh, this is interesting...

At Masters Of Dirt, Dakotah is running an AE Octalock Spur Gear. Less interesting is the aluminum Team Brood slipper plates.

The only reason i can think for doing that, is that he needed the additional gearing from the 87 tooth spur gear, and TLR only goes up to an 81 tooth spur. And that does look like the 87 tooth spur in that picture.

I know i have seen some of the factory TLR guys run the 74.1 center diff for the same reason, additional gearing options, in stock classes as well.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

I ordered the V racing C block to use the 22x-4 arms. What is a good starting point for the pill settings for carpet?
Old 10-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush04 View Post
I ordered the V racing C block to use the 22x-4 arms. What is a good starting point for the pill settings for carpet?
i run zero toe, 1 dot up and out at the C block and 1 dot down and in on the D block
Old 10-24-2022, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Another interesting thing i noticed about Dakota's Masters of Dirt car.

Look at the rear shocks. They do not have the machined in notch around the base, denoting they are the 3.5mm shaft shock bodies, and you can clearly see the 3.5mm etching on the right hand shock.

It would appear he is running the 3.0mm shocks in the front, and the 3.5's in the rear. Be curious if anyone from TLR could confirm/explain why that would be ideal? As i would imagine it would slow down the liveliness of the rear end, substantially.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Switching focus to the front of his car, it is incredible to see just how..."hacked up", the front end of the car is.

Like i would expect that the parts would be a little more finely finished than they are. But no, the are straight up hacked. The end of the cars look like they were flat cut off, a cut off wheel. And the Spindles look like they were hacked into with a cutting wheel too, and then mildly cleaned up with a sanding drum.

I dont know why, but i would have expected the car to have some machined spindles on there, or parts that were more finely modified than that. But, i guess like many other real life race cars, it doesnt need to be pretty to work.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The front end is just current parts that are modified to work with ae wheels. This has been used for over a year on carpet. That is not prototype parts or preproduction
Old 10-24-2022, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
The front end is just current parts that are modified to work with ae wheels. This has been used for over a year on carpet. That is not prototype parts or preproduction
Yeah, very familiar with the front end mod. My shock is that on his car it is so roughly done. I would have expected his cars to be a little more..."put together" for lack of a better phrase. I am in the process of doing the same mod on my 5.0 now. And i am being absolutely meticulous with it. Trying to find ways that i can make the process easily repeatable, and consistent, and look likes it is supposed to be that way, even looking at how to make some jigs, so i can make the parts at the track if i need to. So, when i see his hacked up like that, its just a bit shocking. Especially when people at TLR, like Frank Root, are picky about the clocking and alignment of nuts on shock towers so they look even. LOL!
brian cox likes this.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll just buy the TLR Narrow Wheels...
Old 10-24-2022, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thedak View Post
Its not the same thing. This is more then just running ae wheels. Its a change in the geometry of the suspension.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thedak View Post
Its not the same thing. This is more then just running ae wheels. Its a change in the geometry of the suspension. The car has a different steering feel like this.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma View Post
Switching focus to the front of his car, it is incredible to see just how..."hacked up", the front end of the car is.

Like i would expect that the parts would be a little more finely finished than they are. But no, the are straight up hacked. The end of the cars look like they were flat cut off, a cut off wheel. And the Spindles look like they were hacked into with a cutting wheel too, and then mildly cleaned up with a sanding drum.

I dont know why, but i would have expected the car to have some machined spindles on there, or parts that were more finely modified than that. But, i guess like many other real life race cars, it doesnt need to be pretty to work.
Also notice he has made a middle camberlink position on the spindel. Stock positions are inside and out. There is no middle.
HOTROD716 and BigBuckORamma like this.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Also notice he has made a middle camberlink position on the spindel. Stock positions are inside and out. There is no middle.
Absolutely BRILLIANT spot! I didnt even catch that at all. But your absolutely right. The top looks smooth too. So, i wonder if he is getting a part without those holes molded in, or if he is simply taking some of the shavings from the sanding process, and mixing them with some CA glue to make it solid, and then drilling out the middle hole? Given the way the edges are kind of rounded over like they have been sanded down a bit, i am going to guess the later. Glue or epoxy the holes, then drill a new center location. Very interesting.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Haven't been able to find this answer via searching....

Wanting to get hub adjustability in a 5.0 AC carpet car. The VHA conversion comes with new arms, axles, bearings, etc. Do I need to use all of those items just to get some vertical adjustability, or can I buy just the hubs and inserts while keeping the existing arms, bearings, etc?

Thanks!!!
Old 10-27-2022, 10:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThisIsRDG View Post
Haven't been able to find this answer via searching....

Wanting to get hub adjustability in a 5.0 AC carpet car. The VHA conversion comes with new arms, axles, bearings, etc. Do I need to use all of those items just to get some vertical adjustability, or can I buy just the hubs and inserts while keeping the existing arms, bearings, etc?

Thanks!!!
Sorry I didn't think of this earlier... I downloaded the AC and Elite manuals and compared the part numbers. It looks like the parts are not interchangeable... you must run the full VHA kit. It looks like if I want to avoid the entire $50 VHA kit, I can swap the hubs for the ones in the DC kit which will get me to the configuration I need for dirt tracks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.