Like Tree748Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 03-31-2022, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am betting that is why horizon had a flash sale today.. prices of the cars are waaaayyyy cheaper
Old 03-31-2022, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Team Losi Racing Tranny to Chassis Brace, Aluminum, Laydown: 22 5.0 | Horizon Hobby

This is going to be difficult to explain, but i will do my best.

So, if you look on the 22 5.0 chassis, there is a rectangular machined out area directly below the waterfall and the laydown transmission, where the top shaft for the spur gear lives.
I believe this is a hold over from the 4 gear stand up tranny on the 4.0, but has also been used for brass weights as well.

That pocket, is where this fits.

The larger piece fits underneath the drive side of the transmission, and interfaces around the lower screw boss for the drive side of the transmission case, where the motor plate secures.
This was the best image example i could find in 30 seconds, without taking the picture myself.

The smaller section fits over the top of the larger piece on the non-drive side, and screws into the side of the transmission case. Which is why the longer button head screw is provided with this kit.
And then the tapered flat head screw is screwed in through the bottom of the chassis, threads into the base of the larger piece (screw hole visible), and may thread into the smaller part that overlaps that area as well. Locking them all together, and tying the transmission into the chassis plate to reduce a significant amount of flex.

I suspect this change is primarily for carpet use. As there is quite a bit of flex in the rear of the 5.0 Chassis. Enough that, on dirt, a lot of the factory guys dont even run the screw that connects the motor plate to the waterfall to promote flex, which, depending on conditions, can help introduce additional flex to make the car turn better under power.

I had also spotted a 3D resin printed transmission late last year on a TLR car that had this section filled in with plastic in the same area. Or what i assumed was a Resin Printed transmission case. I made a comment about it, and it was quickly covered up with a yellow microfiber, and i was ignored. LOL! Then the car was removed not long after that.

The only downside to this for me, is that i cant run my Vision Racing 22x-4 arm conversion (which uses the same chassis hole to mount to secure a customer C block to run the 22x-4 arms un-modified), and this brace at the same time. That said, i am SURE the guys at Vision Racing will come up with a solution that provides the same functionality.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

all I can say is if horizon is blowing out the inventory on the old cars just to release a 22 5.1 that just has some minor updates like this new brace and the front end mod stuff but no transmission with quick removal diff. it will be the biggest flop in history. I hope I'm wrong. there's definitely something happening very soon with them discounting the old cars that heavily
Bcollins82 likes this.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Well, messing around with the part numbers, also found a new aluminum wing mount as well.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...TLR331058.html

About damn time. I have spent, EASILY three times that on the crappy plastic ones.

Also found some new 22X-4 parts.
A new drag link.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...TLR331061.html

Which, when compared to the old one, appears to have the turnbuckle mounts closer, and higher up in relation to the bellcranks. No idea what that would do to the ackermann, or the steering geometry.
Here is the old part for comparison. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...TLR331052.html

Also a new "Medium Flex" Steering Brace.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...TLR331057.html

As compared to the older one.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...TLR331049.html
Old 03-31-2022, 01:19 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma View Post
Team Losi Racing Tranny to Chassis Brace, Aluminum, Laydown: 22 5.0 | Horizon Hobby

This is going to be difficult to explain, but i will do my best.

So, if you look on the 22 5.0 chassis, there is a rectangular machined out area directly below the waterfall and the laydown transmission, where the top shaft for the spur gear lives.
I believe this is a hold over from the 4 gear stand up tranny on the 4.0, but has also been used for brass weights as well.

That pocket, is where this fits.

The larger piece fits underneath the drive side of the transmission, and interfaces around the lower screw boss for the drive side of the transmission case, where the motor plate secures.
This was the best image example i could find in 30 seconds, without taking the picture myself.

The smaller section fits over the top of the larger piece on the non-drive side, and screws into the side of the transmission case. Which is why the longer button head screw is provided with this kit.
And then the tapered flat head screw is screwed in through the bottom of the chassis, threads into the base of the larger piece (screw hole visible), and may thread into the smaller part that overlaps that area as well. Locking them all together, and tying the transmission into the chassis plate to reduce a significant amount of flex.

I suspect this change is primarily for carpet use. As there is quite a bit of flex in the rear of the 5.0 Chassis. Enough that, on dirt, a lot of the factory guys dont even run the screw that connects the motor plate to the waterfall to promote flex, which, depending on conditions, can help introduce additional flex to make the car turn better under power.

I had also spotted a 3D resin printed transmission late last year on a TLR car that had this section filled in with plastic in the same area. Or what i assumed was a Resin Printed transmission case. I made a comment about it, and it was quickly covered up with a yellow microfiber, and i was ignored. LOL! Then the car was removed not long after that.

The only downside to this for me, is that i cant run my Vision Racing 22x-4 arm conversion (which uses the same chassis hole to mount to secure a customer C block to run the 22x-4 arms un-modified), and this brace at the same time. That said, i am SURE the guys at Vision Racing will come up with a solution that provides the same functionality.
If there is a release that adresses a great many of the aftermarket and conversion solutions, you might no longer need the VR parts. Some of the 22X-4 parts listed for pre-order remind me of the Avid options.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by walter white View Post
all I can say is if horizon is blowing out the inventory on the old cars just to release a 22 5.1 that just has some minor updates like this new brace and the front end mod stuff but no transmission with quick removal diff. it will be the biggest flop in history. I hope I'm wrong. there's definitely something happening very soon with them discounting the old cars that heavily
I wouldnt read too much into it.

The "Flash Sale" prices on MSRP from Horizon, are exactly the same as the street prices that those kits have been on A-Main/Beach RC/Etc. for the last 6 months.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma View Post
I wouldnt read too much into it.

The "Flash Sale" prices on MSRP from Horizon, are exactly the same as the street prices that those kits have been on A-Main/Beach RC/Etc. for the last 6 months.
I definitely think your wrong. 339.00 for a 22 5.0 elite. elite kits have been at around 420.00 for a while now at tracks and online. 339.00 is cheaper than when the elite first came out. it was priced at 369.99 then.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I doubt it's because a of a new car. Their entire fleet is on sale, not just one particular model, Spektrum too. I'm going to pick up the 5.0 on sale just because.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by walter white View Post
I definitely think your wrong. 339.00 for a 22 5.0 elite. elite kits have been at around 420.00 for a while now at tracks and online. 339.00 is cheaper than when the elite first came out. it was priced at 369.99 then.
No, you're right. Sorry.
I didn't notice they had a coupon associated with the sale, they weren't simply discounted TO that price.

BBBUUUUTTT...also this...

Originally Posted by chevmaro View Post
I doubt it's because a of a new car. Their entire fleet is on sale, not just one particular model, Spektrum too. I'm going to pick up the 5.0 on sale just because.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Ok, from looking at the parts for that transmission to chassis brace, yeah, it’s a little difficult to visualize how that mounts without having seen it on a buggy yet… but at least there’s no mystery about this part:

It’s about time!
Old 04-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

So, I'm building this 5.0 elite and working on bag G. Illustrations show a rear bumper, steps do not show a rear bumper and I don't see one in my kit. Does this buggy not have a rear bumper? It's confusing.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro View Post
So, I'm building this 5.0 elite and working on bag G. Illustrations show a rear bumper, steps do not show a rear bumper and I don't see one in my kit. Does this buggy not have a rear bumper? It's confusing.
no rear bumper on the 5.0 elite..
Old 04-02-2022, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
no rear bumper on the 5.0 elite..
Thanks for verifying.

I got me a 5.0 Elite yesterday and I got my son the DC Race Roller. I guess I could have just looked at his, lol.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys, I have my kit finished and I am wiring electronics today. Should I put the ESC on the right side or left side? I weighed the car and left rear weighs more than right rear, but right front weighs more than left front. What's better for balance, or does it matter?
Old 04-07-2022, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

I guess everyone’s will be different, but since my buggy still has a Spektrum S6240Rx in it, I just set up my Tekin RSX Pro so that the sensor wire connector lines up with the center line of the chassis, since I have the wire taped down the middle.

If your looking to counter balance, I suppose that the wires and your receiver can be manipulated, since I’m guessing the motor/fan placement is rather fixed. I simply prioritized having my sensor wire being straight, given that it was the only thing I had to install on the electronics plate.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 04-07-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.