Like Tree879Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 11-27-2021, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pistol123
I am a little out of date on 22 series cars but my 4.0 had hubs where you can raise and lower them with hub inserts from 0 to +3mm - I believe are the same hubs used on the 5.0 ac, but I don't know how the elite ones work.

We had a couple of TLR 22 5.0 running at my local bumpy astro track and nothing else landed to flat or handled the bumps anything like the TLR cars. Being UK based most cars are AE, XRay or Schumacher.
The 5.0 AC comes with a ď+3Ē rear hub, in contrast to the DC, which just came with a ď0Ē hub. No adjustability in height. The Eliteís VHA rear end (Variable Height Adjustment) features the insert to adjust height on the hub, but also has an aluminum ball link mount that can be adjusted with shims both horizontally (shimmed from the hub), and vertically (shimmed under the ball stud). Aside from that, the axle also allows you to adjust the depth of the CVís joint in any of 4 depths.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve
Was there ever some sort of shock conversion kit to convert the elite kit shocks to what the team guys where running on dirt?
Iíve seen team drivers try different things, but Frank praised the heck out of the shock package that basically came with the 22X-4 - the V2 seals and thin pistons with the 3.0 shaft shocks originally found on the non-Elite kits. Havenít seen any setuo sheets recently l, so I donít know if theyíve gone to anything else, but I would say that the above with the new domed aluminum caps is likely what a lot of people are using.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
The 5.0 AC comes with a ď+3Ē rear hub, in contrast to the DC, which just came with a ď0Ē hub. No adjustability in height. The Eliteís VHA rear end (Variable Height Adjustment) features the insert to adjust height on the hub, but also has an aluminum ball link mount that can be adjusted with shims both horizontally (shimmed from the hub), and vertically (shimmed under the ball stud). Aside from that, the axle also allows you to adjust the depth of the CVís joint in any of 4 depths.
My mistake, the 4.0 cane with two pairs of hubs in the kit.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

Iíve seen team drivers try different things, but Frank praised the heck out of the shock package that basically came with the 22X-4 - the V2 seals and thin pistons with the 3.0 shaft shocks originally found on the non-Elite kits. Havenít seen any setuo sheets recently l, so I donít know if theyíve gone to anything else, but I would say that the above with the new domed aluminum caps is likely what a lot of people are using.
what exactly is needed to switch to 3mm shafts? Shafts,orings and cartridges or whatever they call the plastics?
Old 11-28-2021, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

what exactly is needed to switch to 3mm shafts? Shafts,orings and cartridges or whatever they call the plastics?
The bodies, shafts, and seals are unique to each shock and NOT interchangeable. Several people on here have learned the hard way, with messy leaks after putting 3.0 shafts in 3.5 shock bodies. If you want to convert, you will need a set of 3.0 bodies, shafts, and (preferably the V2) seal sets. Conversely, if you have 3.0ís and want to try the 3.5ís, TLR also sells a 3.5 conversion kit, which consists of the bodies, shafts and seals. Everything else on the shocks are interchangeable.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

The bodies, shafts, and seals are unique to each shock and NOT interchangeable. Several people on here have learned the hard way, with messy leaks after putting 3.0 shafts in 3.5 shock bodies. If you want to convert, you will need a set of 3.0 bodies, shafts, and (preferably the V2) seal sets. Conversely, if you have 3.0ís and want to try the 3.5ís, TLR also sells a 3.5 conversion kit, which consists of the bodies, shafts and seals. Everything else on the shocks are interchangeable.
are the AC shocks what the team guys run then with the new shock caps.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

are the AC shocks what the team guys run then with the new shock caps.
Youíd have to check their recent setups to be sure, but last I checked, the 3.0ís with the V2 seals, thin pistons, and domed shock caps were the go to. That being said, donít be surprised if some drivers use the 3.5ís on occasion. The main difference in feel between the two is that given the same piston and oil, the 3.5ís will absorb the jumps better (as the shock has more pack due to the additional volume that the wider shaft takes up), but recover slower compared to the 3.0ís To paraphrase Frankís words a little over a year ago, heíll take the occasional chassis slap on landings if it means that his buggy will rebound and recover faster.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

What is the difference between the Elite, and the DC Race roller, I think shock shafts, aluminum upgrades, titanium turnbuckles, anything else I am missing?
Old 12-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Someone mentioned you need shock bodies to covert to 3.5mm shafts, front 3.0mm shafts, or vice versa, are you sure?? Because I have an 8ightX and 8ight-X Elite and the part numbers for the shock bodies are the same, and they sell a conversion to convert my 8ight-X to 3.5m shafts which is pictured here. What am I missing here? Cause from what I read both cars have 12mm big bore shock bodies.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silence360
What is the difference between the Elite, and the DC Race roller, I think shock shafts, aluminum upgrades, titanium turnbuckles, anything else I am missing?
TLR has a handy dandy chart on their site
http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...ison-Chart.pdf
Old 12-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Iíve always said that folks who will primarily be running on carpet have the toughest choiceÖ The C/D blocks will just give you a greater range to adjust RC and pivot width a bit, but the VHA conversion kit will also give you rear hub height adjustment (considering that the standard rear hub is just set to the equivalent of the 0 height of the VHA hub), much more precise outer link adjustment, and adjustable axle plunge. Buy those two, and youíre already in almost $100 more. When you consider that you also get the Aluminum steering rack and servo mount, titanium turnbuckles, carbon shock towers, it would be tough to

I donít know. The Elite was a no brainer if you race on Dirt/Clay, which pretty much explains why they eventually discontinued the DC - everyone was buying the Elite anyway. Iím honestly surprised they never replaced the AC with an AC Elite. So, back to the question - could you get away with just the C/D block conversion? Maybe - but youíll probably want to get that VHA conversion eventually.
Originally Posted by Evoking1230
I was looking at that as well. MAYBE I can find a used Elite lol.
so i managed to break the "d block" on my AC yesterday and in the process it destroyed the inserts. the replacement block was almost $20 and the inserts were another $10. TLR sells the kit for the C&D block thats used on the Elite and 22x-4 with inserts for $40(TLR334062) so i just went with that. Now i just need my axles to wear or break so i can go VHA and basically i would have an Elite lol
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boostedLoso
so i managed to break the "d block" on my AC yesterday and in the process it destroyed the inserts. the replacement block was almost $20 and the inserts were another $10. TLR sells the kit for the C&D block thats used on the Elite and 22x-4 with inserts for $40(TLR334062) so i just went with that. Now i just need my axles to wear or break so i can go VHA and basically i would have an Elite lol
BTW, TLR makes a little aluminum rear skid plate that installs in that little groove on the rear of the chassis, held with the two rear screws. It offers a little bit of protection for the D block, since the new D block did away with the composite rear bumper. If I can find the part number, Iíll add here. They come two to a pack. EDIT:

TLR231099

Oh, and do be on the lookout for Horizon sales every now and then. I was able to get Elite hop ups for my daughterís buggy at half price during their Spring sales event last year.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

BTW, TLR makes a little aluminum rear skid plate that installs in that little groove on the rear of the chassis, held with the two rear screws. It offers a little bit of protection for the D block, since the new D block did away with the composite rear bumper. If I can find the part number, Iíll add here. They come two to a pack. EDIT:

TLR231099

Oh, and do be on the lookout for Horizon sales every now and then. I was able to get Elite hop ups for my daughterís buggy at half price during their Spring sales event last year.
interesting....my composite bumper went in as normal....now i have to check my car when i get home...you got me feeling like i did something wrong lol
Old 12-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boostedLoso
interesting....my composite bumper went in as normal....now i have to check my car when i get home...you got me feeling like i did something wrong lol
Yep, check it - I discovered that the rear bumper no longer fit right when I upgraded my daughterís SR. It will displace the Elite D block, which is designed to sit flush on the chassis.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silence360
Someone mentioned you need shock bodies to covert to 3.5mm shafts, front 3.0mm shafts, or vice versa, are you sure?? Because I have an 8ightX and 8ight-X Elite and the part numbers for the shock bodies are the same, and they sell a conversion to convert my 8ight-X to 3.5m shafts which is pictured here. What am I missing here? Cause from what I read both cars have 12mm big bore shock bodies.

3.5 shock bodies are parts 333005/6. The 3.0 shock bodies are part #ís 233025/6. The 3.5ís are also marked slightly differently to distinguish one from the other.

Eight-X shocks are 16mm (consistent with other 8th scale buggies), not 12mm. Being a different design, I donít know how those work with different sizes shafts in the same body, . But the 22ís G3 shocks are definitely 2 different shocks for the two shaft sizes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.