Like Tree636Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 11-24-2021, 09:08 AM
  #2236  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 449
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Itís been a couple years since I ran the high wing, and that was on clay. I need to do a back to back comparison on carpet.
Rhett McNair is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 09:18 AM
  #2237  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 00000
Posts: 4,208
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I tend to lead with the low wing (carpet) for more initial steering. The high wing can feel like it has less initial steering but smoother through entry, mid, exit.

There are some some conditions where the high wing seems to get the nose down better on jumps.

Some of the front tire options can feel ‘edgy’ off center, when new, which the high wing can minimize.

All preference.
Evoking1230 likes this.
MDawson is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 09:28 AM
  #2238  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Alexv2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 753
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between TLR and AE offsets? I know the fronts that come with the AC are the "slim" ones. I tried looking on amain and tlr/ae sites for a better explanation but I guess I missed it lol.
TLR fronts are like a 4w buggy, basically a flat face. AE wheels have a 6mm or so deep dish, making the front offset 6mm wider roughly. I don't have any TLR wheels here to measure to be exact though.

A big problem is a lot of carpet races especially over in the UK do handout tires and so schumachers aes and xrays and whatever else can use the same wheels. So TLR drivers have to mount their own stuff. So it kinda ruins the handout aspect.
Evoking1230 likes this.
Alexv2024 is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 11:22 AM
  #2239  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 00000
Posts: 4,208
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I seem to recall one of the reasons for moving towards narrowing the front was to help solve the issue of spec-tire/handout conformity by using the same offset front wheel but….

For the folks that are NOT racing at those major events or nationals, strictly club events that within reason are following realistic dimensions which is faster/performance?

TLR NARROW WHEEL with ‘stock’ width front end

OR

AE/YOK/X standard wheel with the ‘narrow/modified’ width front end

Surely I can pitch this question to Todd and Team but I am curious what this group thinks.
MDawson is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 12:58 PM
  #2240  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I tend to lead with the low wing (carpet) for more initial steering. The high wing can feel like it has less initial steering but smoother through entry, mid, exit.

There are some some conditions where the high wing seems to get the nose down better on jumps.

Some of the front tire options can feel Ďedgyí off center, when new, which the high wing can minimize.

All preference.
Thank you for the clarification, I will have to test to find my preference.
Evoking1230 is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 01:01 PM
  #2241  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
TLR fronts are like a 4w buggy, basically a flat face. AE wheels have a 6mm or so deep dish, making the front offset 6mm wider roughly. I don't have any TLR wheels here to measure to be exact though.

A big problem is a lot of carpet races especially over in the UK do handout tires and so schumachers aes and xrays and whatever else can use the same wheels. So TLR drivers have to mount their own stuff. So it kinda ruins the handout aspect.
that makes sense, thanks!

Front tires should be the same for 2WD carpet though as offset is associated with the mounting, rather than the width of the wheel itself.
Evoking1230 is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 01:16 PM
  #2242  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

the consensus for pistons on carpet are the "thin" pistons and AE V2 Red Front and AE V2 Blue Rears? Same size piston holes as the kit setup or up a tenth or 2?
Evoking1230 is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 01:26 PM
  #2243  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 00000
Posts: 4,208
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Rhetts post cleared up missing pieces.

I dont have any AE/YOK fronts around but this is some idea between the TLR and X-ray.

Simply
TLR NARROW FRONT
- inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 200mm
- outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 240mm

XRAY FRONT
-inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 210mm
- outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 250mm
REVISED, new approximate measurements

STANDARD TLR 22 FRONT END
- Standard Buggy Wheel (210/250)
- - inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 210mm
- - outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 250mm

- TLR Narrow Buggy Wheel (200/240)
- - inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 200mm
- - outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 240mm

MODIFIED/NARROW TLR 22 FRONT END
- Standard Buggy Wheel (200/240)
- - inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 200mm
- - outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 240mm

- TLR Narrow Buggy Wheel (190/230)
- - inside track width (inside tire to tire) about 190mm
- - outside track width (outside tire to outside tire) about 230mm
  • Seems like the practical track width is the 200/240 regardless of front end type
  • The 200/240 with the modified front end should give you access to use standard buggy fronts
  • The 210/250 when tested wasnít practical, front end was too wide

Next stop the track. I am curious to see if there is a difference in feel. Will need to build up a standard front end for backup.

MDawson is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 03:54 PM
  #2244  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

The mod front end let's the car roll a lot more on the front end. I have basically 2 front ends built and can swap back and forth between them in a few minutes. I pretty much always run the mod front end for carpet.
MDawson and Evoking1230 like this.
Brian L is offline  
Old 11-24-2021, 06:32 PM
  #2245  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 00000
Posts: 4,208
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Anyone track down a Phend setup sheet from the FL Champs?
MDawson is offline  
Old 11-25-2021, 05:54 AM
  #2246  
Tech Master
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,357
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
the consensus for pistons on carpet are the "thin" pistons and AE V2 Red Front and AE V2 Blue Rears? Same size piston holes as the kit setup or up a tenth or 2?
1.5/1.7 thin pistons for most of us with the springs you need mentioned. Iím running yellow AE fronts now on astro
AxiomJacob is offline  
Old 11-25-2021, 08:06 PM
  #2247  
Tech Master
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,616
Default

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
Can you or anyone else confirm all thats needed is the C/D blocks? The thought actually crossed my mind a while back as I wanted maximum adjustability that the Elite has but it costs a bit too much to convert the Elite to carpet. If I can get away with just the C/D blocks, I'm game!
Iíve always said that folks who will primarily be running on carpet have the toughest choiceÖ The C/D blocks will just give you a greater range to adjust RC and pivot width a bit, but the VHA conversion kit will also give you rear hub height adjustment (considering that the standard rear hub is just set to the equivalent of the 0 height of the VHA hub), much more precise outer link adjustment, and adjustable axle plunge. Buy those two, and youíre already in almost $100 more. When you consider that you also get the Aluminum steering rack and servo mount, titanium turnbuckles, carbon shock towers, it would be tough to

I donít know. The Elite was a no brainer if you race on Dirt/Clay, which pretty much explains why they eventually discontinued the DC - everyone was buying the Elite anyway. Iím honestly surprised they never replaced the AC with an AC Elite. So, back to the question - could you get away with just the C/D block conversion? Maybe - but youíll probably want to get that VHA conversion eventually.
Evoking1230 likes this.
TurnNBurn is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 03:26 AM
  #2248  
Tech Addict
 
Pistol123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 602
Default

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Iíve always said that folks who will primarily be running on carpet have the toughest choiceÖ The C/D blocks will just give you a greater range to adjust RC and pivot width a bit, but the VHA conversion kit will also give you rear hub height adjustment (considering that the standard rear hub is just set to the equivalent of the 0 height of the VHA hub), much more precise outer link adjustment, and adjustable axle plunge. Buy those two, and youíre already in almost $100 more. When you consider that you also get the Aluminum steering rack and servo mount, titanium turnbuckles, carbon shock towers, it would be tough to

I donít know. The Elite was a no brainer if you race on Dirt/Clay, which pretty much explains why they eventually discontinued the DC - everyone was buying the Elite anyway. Iím honestly surprised they never replaced the AC with an AC Elite. So, back to the question - could you get away with just the C/D block conversion? Maybe - but youíll probably want to get that VHA conversion eventually.
I am a little out of date on 22 series cars but my 4.0 had hubs where you can raise and lower them with hub inserts from 0 to +3mm - I believe are the same hubs used on the 5.0 ac, but I don't know how the elite ones work.

We had a couple of TLR 22 5.0 running at my local bumpy astro track and nothing else landed to flat or handled the bumps anything like the TLR cars. Being UK based most cars are AE, XRay or Schumacher.
Pistol123 is offline  
Old 11-26-2021, 08:15 PM
  #2249  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Iíve always said that folks who will primarily be running on carpet have the toughest choiceÖ The C/D blocks will just give you a greater range to adjust RC and pivot width a bit, but the VHA conversion kit will also give you rear hub height adjustment (considering that the standard rear hub is just set to the equivalent of the 0 height of the VHA hub), much more precise outer link adjustment, and adjustable axle plunge. Buy those two, and youíre already in almost $100 more. When you consider that you also get the Aluminum steering rack and servo mount, titanium turnbuckles, carbon shock towers, it would be tough to

I donít know. The Elite was a no brainer if you race on Dirt/Clay, which pretty much explains why they eventually discontinued the DC - everyone was buying the Elite anyway. Iím honestly surprised they never replaced the AC with an AC Elite. So, back to the question - could you get away with just the C/D block conversion? Maybe - but youíll probably want to get that VHA conversion eventually.
I was looking at that as well. MAYBE I can find a used Elite lol.
Evoking1230 is offline  
Old 11-27-2021, 06:24 PM
  #2250  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (187)
 
pink_sleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Planet Melmac
Posts: 4,966
Trader Rating: 187 (99%+)
Default

Was there ever some sort of shock conversion kit to convert the elite kit shocks to what the team guys where running on dirt?
pink_sleeve is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.