Like Tree614Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 08-19-2021, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 275 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
We don't make non-stiffezel front arms any longer. All of the race team ran the SZL arms, and we didn't sell many standard one, so when the most recent update came about we didn't even setup the standard material.
Good to know, Thank You.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:39 AM
mes
Tech Master

Dakotah Phend just TQed at the Outdoor Turf Nationals. I wonder if his front wheels are an indicator for new things to come...
Check out TLR's Facebook and compare the wheels on the pic to the JConcepts TLR wheels, the off-set and shape seems different, more like the competition.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At a lot of carpet/turf races they use handout tires and IFMAR has some rules everyone needing to run the exact same offset/size wheels or something to that effect at the next worlds. So any tlr drivers have to mount up their own front tires, opening a can of worms. Its a lot easier if everyone can just bolt up pre mounted hand out tires at control races.

So I'd say the next TLR 2w will have AE/IFMAR offset wheels, and the pics of Phends car shows that might be coming soon.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:57 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
At a lot of carpet/turf races they use handout tires and IFMAR has some rules everyone needing to run the exact same offset/size wheels or something to that effect at the next worlds. So any tlr drivers have to mount up their own front tires, opening a can of worms. Its a lot easier if everyone can just bolt up pre mounted hand out tires at control races.

So I'd say the next TLR 2w will have AE/IFMAR offset wheels, and the pics of Phends car shows that might be coming soon.
Exactly my words some years ago... and then the 5.0 hit the market with its not so user-friendly gearbox. While the polymer band battery mount has won me over, there's room for improvement on the current platform, and I am positive that the design team has been aware of that for quite a while. Things tend to take longer the larger the company gets, and Horizon has grown to impressive dimensions. Better late than never, I guess. Whatever the front wheels will look like, I am looking forward to building a new TLR platform. The IMHO best shaft-drive wheeler on the market needs a worthy 2WD companion!
Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

They addressed the IFMAR offset requirement with the release of the 22X-4, so Iím sure they will do the same with the next 22 update, especially if the rule will be enforced at the next WC.

But then there will be the downside, which is that people who have existing 2WD fronts will likely not be able to use them, unless TLR provides some kind of front axle option for the new buggy to maintain the designed geometry.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mes View Post
Exactly my words some years ago... and then the 5.0 hit the market with its not so user-friendly gearbox. While the polymer band battery mount has won me over, there's room for improvement on the current platform, and I am positive that the design team has been aware of that for quite a while. Things tend to take longer the larger the company gets, and Horizon has grown to impressive dimensions. Better late than never, I guess. Whatever the front wheels will look like, I am looking forward to building a new TLR platform. The IMHO best shaft-drive wheeler on the market needs a worthy 2WD companion!
I know a couple people on the team even though I switched away from TLR when the original 5.0 was delayed. I've heard rumors for a while now and Dakota has been photo'd at a race with AE style wheels. So I'd say thats getting decently close to being released. Especially considering the next worlds might require it. I'll laugh for weeks if the next TLR 2w buggy/trucks don't have quick release diffs though.

In the mean time I'll stick to my AE cars. Although I probably would have tried a 22x4 by now if gear boxes were stronger or actually available. But with pilot rc parts fixing my b74.1 I'm plenty happy with it now.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Has anybody racing 17.5 on high bite clay had any luck with the direct drive system that eliminates the slipper? Looking for some feedback and opinions on it vs. the standard slipper set up - positive and negative. Not really concerned with the weight savings or the rotating mass, looking for more overall performance based feedback between the slipper and direct drive system.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:20 AM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dirtryder219 View Post
Has anybody racing 17.5 on high bite clay had any luck with the direct drive system that eliminates the slipper? Looking for some feedback and opinions on it vs. the standard slipper set up - positive and negative. Not really concerned with the weight savings or the rotating mass, looking for more overall performance based feedback between the slipper and direct drive system.
I can only comment on 13.5/Astroturf. I used to be very sceptic about eliminators, but it was a leap in performance without any durability issues. I'd say go for it and would expect you won't regret it.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes View Post
I can only comment on 13.5/Astroturf. I used to be very sceptic about eliminators, but it was a leap in performance without any durability issues. I'd say go for it and would expect you won't regret it.
Thanks, I am curious for sure. I know the slipper allows some degree of slip when tuned properly to help with traction and forward bite. Sounds like a test session is in the very near future!
Old 09-14-2021, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone have experience changing the outdrive pins on this car? The pins measure 2.35mm, but the tools I've seen are for 2.5, 2.9, or 3.0mm pins. I'm thinking the 2.5mil tool will work, but it's more money than I want to gamble at the moment.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...qxtzyqbc2xactz

RcRenew.com RC Engine sleeve removal tool rc engie tools cvd pin tools

Old 09-14-2021, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bentouttashape View Post
Anyone have experience changing the outdrive pins on this car? The pins measure 2.35mm, but the tools I've seen are for 2.5, 2.9, or 3.0mm pins. I'm thinking the 2.5mil tool will work, but it's more money than I want to gamble at the moment.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...qxtzyqbc2xactz

RcRenew.com RC Engine sleeve removal tool rc engie tools cvd pin tools
That TLR part # is for the wheel pins. I would apply some heat with a torch and see if you can get the pins to come out without investing in a pin removal tool. As you are going to press the pin through a 2.3mm hole the pin driver is going to have to be smaller than 2.3mm. I went and got a 1/16in (1.6mm) punch from the hardware store to remove driveshaft pins, but I also have a vice to hold driveshaft. I don't think TLR sell replacement pins, so you are gonna have to source some appropriate pins from somewhere else.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2.5mm pins won't work, they'll crack the dogbone. Ask me how I know!
Old 09-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by waitwhat View Post
That TLR part # is for the wheel pins. I would apply some heat with a torch and see if you can get the pins to come out without investing in a pin removal tool. As you are going to press the pin through a 2.3mm hole the pin driver is going to have to be smaller than 2.3mm. I went and got a 1/16in (1.6mm) punch from the hardware store to remove driveshaft pins, but I also have a vice to hold driveshaft. I don't think TLR sell replacement pins, so you are gonna have to source some appropriate pins from somewhere else.
Ah, good looking out. I did not catch that.

You could likely punch out the worn pin with the replacement. So I guess let's take one step back and ask has anyone sourced a suitable replacement?
RCDaddy2105 likes this.