Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Funny how the community hates on Xray for releasing kits every year, but a 9 month old TLR kit is asking to get replaced, and at the same time the ST and SCT are super outdated.
Not sure what you mean - the 5.0 DC Elite is the latest version of the 22 that has been released, and it came out in September of 2019. The 5.0 platform itself is coming up on its second year. Itís the 22X-4 4WD buggy that got released earlier this year, and I donít think anyone has been asking for an update.

As for the T and SCT, it is what it is... Horizonís decisions are driven by demand, and in the grand scheme of things, I guess thise two kits donít sell well enough to justify the needed investment to produce updated kits. That being said, Iíve heard in various forums that the SCT 3.0 still runs circles around newer trucks, so I guess if it ainít broke... 🙂 I would personally be motivated to buy a 5.0T if they made it. Now that AE recently updated their truck with all the latest 6.2 goodies, maybe TLR will re-evaluate?
Antimullet and Jcharger13 like this.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Opinions on slipper vs direct drive for 21.5/17.5 spec racing on a medium bite hard clay (positrons/slicks)

Some ESCs will allow you to adjust the punch control on take off.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Not sure what you mean - the 5.0 DC Elite is the latest version of the 22 that has been released, and it came out in September of 2019. The 5.0 platform itself is coming up on its second year. Itís the 22X-4 4WD buggy that got released earlier this year, and I donít think anyone has been asking for an update.

As for the T and SCT, it is what it is... Horizonís decisions are driven by demand, and in the grand scheme of things, I guess thise two kits donít sell well enough to justify the needed investment to produce updated kits. That being said, Iíve heard in various forums that the SCT 3.0 still runs circles around newer trucks, so I guess if it ainít broke... 🙂 I would personally be motivated to buy a 5.0T if they made it. Now that AE recently updated their truck with all the latest 6.2 goodies, maybe TLR will re-evaluate?

You know, every time I see a new car come out, I get excited. I don't care what brand it is, Even the Xrays, even though it is a yearly thing. When I see a new car/truck, the first thing I do is dream about getting it and trying to find out ways to convince the wife. Then I start to look at what new on it and what sets it apart from the current model. For the past few designs, there really isn't that much of a change on them. Sure, they have the clay version and carpet versions, but I'm talking about a new clay version replacing another clay version. Your really only looking at no more than $100 worth of hop ups and, in most cases, I have already made those changes using aftermarket parts. Therefore, the only reason I can see getting the newest model is just for the sack of having a new model.

As for SCT and ST's, there hasn't been any real update on them except for the layback gearbox. The new ones are now coming with the laydown gearboxes which a lot of drivers have already done by getting a buggy chassis and a laydown box. I would really like to get a new Kyosho ST, but they pretty much have all the latest features on it, except for the laydown chassis, and that truck is 8 years old.
SCRAFAN likes this.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone tested the rear mount rear sway bar?
What exact difference does it make on the track.
Dakota says it's a must.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Hey guys just returning to RC Club Racing after a few year back and about to order the 22 5.0 DC.. I need to order my 2wd on a budget after dropping so much on my 1/8 (guh..) So, I am considering starting with the ECO Power 17.5 from Amain.. The track, I am looking at is indoor clay (high grip) with a 110' straight Could anyone recommend what pinions to have on hand for a 17.5.. I have none currently.
Also what are good spares to carry ? I have not owned a 2wd Buggy since the OG 22.0 and, I remember that one was really durable other than that darn steering rack..
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

While I understand the pill chart perfectly having owned a B6.1 but am having trouble understanding the grids on the setup sheets that are in the C and D Blocks. For instance a setup sheet that has two points on the grid darkened in as on Dakota's carpet sheet on petitrc. Can anyone explain?
Old 12-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fifi
Has anyone tested the rear mount rear sway bar?
What exact difference does it make on the track.
Dakota says it's a must.
A fellow TLR racer at my local track did but he actually modified it a bit to work with the 22X-4's rear bars instead of the 22-4's recommended by the new mounting system. He likes it quite a bit and is trying to talk me into doin the same with my 5.0AC. Think he says it feels like it activates sooner than the original 5.0 setup system does.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manatarms25
Hey guys just returning to RC Club Racing after a few year back and about to order the 22 5.0 DC.. I need to order my 2wd on a budget after dropping so much on my 1/8 (guh..) So, I am considering starting with the ECO Power 17.5 from Amain.. The track, I am looking at is indoor clay (high grip) with a 110' straight Could anyone recommend what pinions to have on hand for a 17.5.. I have none currently.
Also what are good spares to carry ? I have not owned a 2wd Buggy since the OG 22.0 and, I remember that one was really durable other than that darn steering rack..
Thanks!
72T spur is included, i would start with a 25t pinion and work from there. Check temp after a couple min on the first run
Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone know if the G3 V2 shock seal bushings work instead of the typical G3 ?
noticed there is a size difference and everything Iíve found suggests they are for the 22x-4.
Running the 3mm shafts that came with the 5.0 SR.

Thanks !
Old 12-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yes, the g3 v2 parts work and are a lot better than the original stock pieces that came in the se. Old parts were bigger and essentially squish the orings so the shocks would not be smooth over time. The new g2 parts tlr 233060 and tlr 233061 will make your shocks awesome. I would recommend picking up both.The 22 5.0 and the 22x4 use the same shocks.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
Yes, the g3 v2 parts work and are a lot better than the original stock pieces that came in the se. Old parts were bigger and essentially squish the orings so the shocks would not be smooth over time. The new g2 parts tlr 233060 and tlr 233061 will make your shocks awesome. I would recommend picking up both.The 22 5.0 and the 22x4 use the same shocks.
Perfect. Thatís exactly what I ended up with, new seals and bushings noted above !

thanks! A little piece of mind for me...
Old 12-13-2020, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Phugazi
A fellow TLR racer at my local track did but he actually modified it a bit to work with the 22X-4's rear bars instead of the 22-4's recommended by the new mounting system. He likes it quite a bit and is trying to talk me into doin the same with my 5.0AC. Think he says it feels like it activates sooner than the original 5.0 setup system does.
Thanks, I will wait for my order to try them.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Is it just me, or do most of the recent team driver buggy pics from races, not contain shots of the rear end/trans? Maybe there is something TLR doesn't want us to see yet.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sizzlechest
Is it just me, or do most of the recent team driver buggy pics from races, not contain shots of the rear end/trans? Maybe there is something TLR doesn't want us to see yet.
If something is coming, I hope it includes an easy access diff. Also something we can bolt on the 5.0 because i just picked up my second one.... Speaking of..

I was building my new elite (coming from the AC) and I noticed that the transmission gears rub on the inside and you can feel it catching when spinning the flite shaft or outdrives. Anyone think this just needs to break in a bit? Or is something amiss?

I swapped out the gear diff for the ball diff and tried a different flite shaft and it still does it. It seems to be the middle idler(?) gear, but im not sure its the transmission case itself? Visually everything looks fine, but you can see it touch ever so slightly .. Im thinking of just driving it for a bit to see if it goes away. But i donít remember my AC doing this and whether i should just get new trans gear?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mirkinator
If something is coming, I hope it includes an easy access diff. Also something we can bolt on the 5.0 because i just picked up my second one.... Speaking of..

I was building my new elite (coming from the AC) and I noticed that the transmission gears rub on the inside and you can feel it catching when spinning the flite shaft or outdrives. Anyone think this just needs to break in a bit? Or is something amiss?

I swapped out the gear diff for the ball diff and tried a different flite shaft and it still does it. It seems to be the middle idler(?) gear, but im not sure its the transmission case itself? Visually everything looks fine, but you can see it touch ever so slightly .. Im thinking of just driving it for a bit to see if it goes away. But i donít remember my AC doing this and whether i should just get new trans gear?
Mine bound up a little with the suggested settings. I raised the middle gear one position and it was a lot more free but still had plenty of tooth engagement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.