Like Tree833Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM
  #1666  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 45
Default

I have a camber gauge, but is there anything you recommend for a toe gauge? Also, any base camber and toe settings you recommend or just measure and verify that the stock settings are the same as the setup sheet in the manual?
ouhockeyplayer is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:53 PM
  #1667  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ouhockeyplayer
I have a camber gauge, but is there anything you recommend for a toe gauge? Also, any base camber and toe settings you recommend or just measure and verify that the stock settings are the same as the setup sheet in the manual?
I always start with -1.5į of camber and 0į toe. I don't trust setting anything by length of turnbuckle. I always verify camber with a gauge. You can check toe with the camber gauge by laying it flat on the floor with the bottom of the camber gauge against a wall. Make sure you have your radio on when you check toe. Make sure your steering rack is centered perfectly, otherwise you will have asymmetric steering. Pay attention to the clean running patch of the dirty tires. If the tread is clean all the way from sidewall to sidewall you are getting the most from the tires. If the tire wear is out of center make camber adjustments to center it up.
waitwhat is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 03:35 PM
  #1668  
Tech Fanatic
 
Pistol123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 870
Default

Originally Posted by ouhockeyplayer
I would say corner entry. Sometimes if I hit the blue groove just right I'll get better steering action.
On the 4.0 I had an issue running the stock dirt set up with the lrc front pivot - too much initial roll/understeer then too much mid corner and exit corner steering fitting the hrc front pivot without the spacer sorted it.

Good luck.
Pistol123 is online now  
Old 03-05-2020, 04:33 PM
  #1669  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 45
Default

Thank you everyone for setting me down the right path to get handling dialed in. This was all great info.
ouhockeyplayer is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 07:34 PM
  #1670  
Tech Apprentice
 
Lineman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: WA
Posts: 80
Default Elite sway bars

So I picked up the Elite kit total spur of the monent a couple weeks ago when I stopped by my LHS and he had one on the shelf. I had been thinking about grabbing my first new 2wd buggy in years as just the week prior I had picked up the Tekno EB410.2 kit, which was my first 1/10 4wd buggy since the original B44.. Ive got all the bigger Tekno rigs and have been running 1/8 stuff for 20 years, but so far Im having a blast with the little ones. No major racing, just having fun with them but one thing I wanted to try if available are front and rear sway bars for the TLR. I see they offer a front kit for the 5.0, but on the Amain site it doesnt list the Elite as compatible, and all Ive found for rear setups of listed for the 4.0. Anyone point me in the right direction as Ive seen TLR drivers listing sway bars on their setup sheets... TIA!
Lineman26 is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 PM
  #1671  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 335
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lineman26
So I picked up the Elite kit total spur of the monent a couple weeks ago when I stopped by my LHS and he had one on the shelf. I had been thinking about grabbing my first new 2wd buggy in years as just the week prior I had picked up the Tekno EB410.2 kit, which was my first 1/10 4wd buggy since the original B44.. Ive got all the bigger Tekno rigs and have been running 1/8 stuff for 20 years, but so far Im having a blast with the little ones. No major racing, just having fun with them but one thing I wanted to try if available are front and rear sway bars for the TLR. I see they offer a front kit for the 5.0, but on the Amain site it doesnt list the Elite as compatible, and all Ive found for rear setups of listed for the 4.0. Anyone point me in the right direction as Ive seen TLR drivers listing sway bars on their setup sheets... TIA!
The 5.0 front sway bar will fit on the Elite. the 4.0 rear sway bar will also fit a 5.0 without issue.
jmitchell is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 PM
  #1672  
Tech Apprentice
 
Lineman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: WA
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by jmitchell
The 5.0 front sway bar will fit on the Elite. the 4.0 rear sway bar will also fit a 5.0 without issue.
Thanks, thats what i hoped, but I was at the point where i was zooming in on the pictures of the parts online while holding the car trying to determine if the parts even looked close, which the front ones did, but I couldnt tell where the rear sway bar holder is supposed to mount. The one spot that looks like the mount would fit is so high on the bulkhead that it looks like the rear sway bar would have to go above the rear camber links...

Couple more things. I was also trying to figure out if the front brass pivot block, part number TLR334020 fits the Elite. Once again the Amain compatibility chart only goes as high as the 3.0 series, but I know that many of their items dont get the lists updated as the newer versions of vehicles come out. Lastly, every car I get I typically buy up several different sets of springs, pistons, the sway bars etc as I enjoy trying out and seeing the differences that making changes do, but before I order a bunch of parts I want to make sure Im not buying parts like springs that are so hard or soft that there would never be a situation where they would be a good option. Now after reading a bit of this thread it appears that quite a few guys use the AE springs? That would be easier and cheaper as the LHS 3 miles from my house has all the different sets of AE springs in the soft, medium and stiff packs that come with I think 4 pairs per set in stock so I would prefer to just grab all those. I just dont know if I should get all 3 sets for both front and rear, or if either the soft or hard sets are so far off what the Elite needs that they wouldnt work at all.

Ive always been sort of crazy when it comes to aftermarket and upgrade or tuning parts for every RC Ive had. I was strugging for days trying to dial in the suspension on my Tekno SCT410.3 when I hit the track with it that after I think the 3rd day I went home and ordered every spring and sway bar made, including both the normal springs and the low frequency, 3 sets of Tekno pistons, a couple sets of VRP Gamechager pistons, HRC hubs etc. In the end it mostly came down to the fact that I needed to drive that truck much differently on the track than my 1/8 Tekno buggy and truggy and it just took a while to get the hang of it, especially learning how to get it to fly level. I destroyed 2 new bodies in the first 2 days, only running 2 packs per day haha....
Lineman26 is offline  
Old 03-06-2020, 05:44 AM
  #1673  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 335
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lineman26
Thanks, thats what i hoped, but I was at the point where i was zooming in on the pictures of the parts online while holding the car trying to determine if the parts even looked close, which the front ones did, but I couldnt tell where the rear sway bar holder is supposed to mount. The one spot that looks like the mount would fit is so high on the bulkhead that it looks like the rear sway bar would have to go above the rear camber links...

Couple more things. I was also trying to figure out if the front brass pivot block, part number TLR334020 fits the Elite. Once again the Amain compatibility chart only goes as high as the 3.0 series, but I know that many of their items dont get the lists updated as the newer versions of vehicles come out. Lastly, every car I get I typically buy up several different sets of springs, pistons, the sway bars etc as I enjoy trying out and seeing the differences that making changes do, but before I order a bunch of parts I want to make sure Im not buying parts like springs that are so hard or soft that there would never be a situation where they would be a good option. Now after reading a bit of this thread it appears that quite a few guys use the AE springs? That would be easier and cheaper as the LHS 3 miles from my house has all the different sets of AE springs in the soft, medium and stiff packs that come with I think 4 pairs per set in stock so I would prefer to just grab all those. I just dont know if I should get all 3 sets for both front and rear, or if either the soft or hard sets are so far off what the Elite needs that they wouldnt work at all.

Ive always been sort of crazy when it comes to aftermarket and upgrade or tuning parts for every RC Ive had. I was strugging for days trying to dial in the suspension on my Tekno SCT410.3 when I hit the track with it that after I think the 3rd day I went home and ordered every spring and sway bar made, including both the normal springs and the low frequency, 3 sets of Tekno pistons, a couple sets of VRP Gamechager pistons, HRC hubs etc. In the end it mostly came down to the fact that I needed to drive that truck much differently on the track than my 1/8 Tekno buggy and truggy and it just took a while to get the hang of it, especially learning how to get it to fly level. I destroyed 2 new bodies in the first 2 days, only running 2 packs per day haha....
Rear sway bar mounts on top of the rear shock tower mounting screws on the front of the shock tower. Just look up the AC version and you should see it in the stock pictures, or find it in the AC manual.

Finding the right springs for what you are doing can take some time, unless you are able to talk with the local racers and see start with what they are running.
I race mostly on clay and find that I am usually around the same spring setup (rear=TLR LF white, front=AE V1 white or red). Carpet or turf usually requires stiffer springs.
jmitchell is offline  
Old 03-06-2020, 11:21 AM
  #1674  
Tech Master
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,809
Default

Originally Posted by jmitchell
The 5.0 front sway bar will fit on the Elite. the 4.0 rear sway bar will also fit a 5.0 without issue.
Yep, if you go to the TLR website for the Eliteís Optional Parts listing, the 4.0 rear kit is listed there. Itís the same part, so they havenít bothered updating the description (i.e. ď4.0/5.0 Rear Sway Bar KitĒ). If itís not listed on A Mainís site as being compatible, thatís their omission.
TurnNBurn is offline  
Old 03-07-2020, 11:12 PM
  #1675  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (166)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 4,595
Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone heard when the metal g2 diff wil he available? Elite lacks rotation running 4 gear 5000, tried 4 gear 3000, didnít notice much difference, and itís still pushing. Grey Office Depot carpet. And Schumacher cactus rears, cut stagger fronts. Small technical track.
jpcopeland1 is offline  
Old 03-08-2020, 12:46 PM
  #1676  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

jpcopeland1--did you try any higher oil? We run on small black/grey carpet and I use 2 gear metal with 30k. Tried 10k with 2 gear metal but a little twitchy so the higher oil balanced it out with smoothness and rotation. I would guess 4 gear plastic would be abou 10-20k in that range.
dbracn is offline  
Old 03-08-2020, 12:50 PM
  #1677  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (166)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 4,595
Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dbracn
jpcopeland1--did you try any higher oil? We run on small black/grey carpet and I use 2 gear metal with 30k. Tried 10k with 2 gear metal but a little twitchy so the higher oil balanced it out with smoothness and rotation. I would guess 4 gear plastic would be abou 10-20k in that range.
I need the 2 gear to get the car to rotate. 4 gear doesnít allow it to do that no matter what diff oil I use. I drove a friends who had the 2 gear metal diff and the car rotated properly. The track can get overly technical for being so smal. Car wonít change direction fast enough without pushing.
jpcopeland1 is offline  
Old 03-08-2020, 04:12 PM
  #1678  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Default

Hey Guys,
New to the hobby and I just got done building my TLR 22 5.0. It seems the front suspension is way too tight. In fact when pushed down, it does not spring back up, I have to actually manually pull the wheels back down. I assume I may have filled the shocks incorrectly. Any advice, before I start breaking the front end back down?
Thanks,
Chad
NYURDRMS is offline  
Old 03-08-2020, 04:16 PM
  #1679  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 121
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NYURDRMS
Hey Guys,
New to the hobby and I just got done building my TLR 22 5.0. It seems the front suspension is way too tight. In fact when pushed down, it does not spring back up, I have to actually manually pull the wheels back down. I assume I may have filled the shocks incorrectly. Any advice, before I start breaking the front end back down?
Thanks,
Chad
I just finished building the same kit. I would disconnect the shocks completely and try cycling the suspension without them to see if it moves freely. And try the shocks without them mounted. The shocks with the including springs and fluid should move pretty easily as they are pretty soft.
Jeff H is offline  
Old 03-08-2020, 05:04 PM
  #1680  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by Jeff H
I just finished building the same kit. I would disconnect the shocks completely and try cycling the suspension without them to see if it moves freely. And try the shocks without them mounted. The shocks with the including springs and fluid should move pretty easily as they are pretty soft.
Thanks, I will give that a shot.
Jeff H likes this.
NYURDRMS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.