Like Tree833Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 01-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Get the elite then convert what you need. This is exactly what 2 team guys told. me. They said it was cheaper
Before the permanent price drop, I too would definitely go this route; you have to keep in mind that you get over $200 worth of optional parts for just $40 over the original $329 price. Now that the price difference is $110, I would probably still recommend the Elite if you plan on racing both, because the gear diff is $20 cheaper than buying a ball or SR ball diff. I sort of did the math: To convert an Elite for AC racing, you literally just need the gear diff ($29.99), the two sway bar sets ($35.98), a set of springs appropriate for carpet (about $15), the wide front wing (if needed - $6.99), and the slipper eliminator, if you think you need it as well ($24.99).

so for under $500, you can have a buggy with EVERYTHING needed to race on any surface... About $60 more if you want to invest in lightweight gears/drive for spec racing on dirt. Even with the $110 savings on the AC, youíd be paying over $300 more for all parts mentioned that you can get for less than $500 above.

I would personally ONLY buy the AC if you need to minimize your initial investment, knowing full well youíll be spending more down the line. And I would still get the VHA set at minimum as I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Before the permanent price drop, I too would definitely go this route; you have to keep in mind that you get over $200 worth of optional parts for just $40 over the original $329 price. Now that the price difference is $110, I would probably still recommend the Elite if you plan on racing both, because the gear diff is $20 cheaper than buying a ball or SR ball diff. I sort of did the math: To convert an Elite for AC racing, you literally just need the gear diff ($29.99), the two sway bar sets ($35.98), a set of springs appropriate for carpet (about $15), the wide front wing (if needed - $6.99), and the slipper eliminator, if you think you need it as well ($24.99).

so for under $500, you can have a buggy with EVERYTHING needed to race on any surface... About $60 more if you want to invest in lightweight gears/drive for spec racing on dirt. Even with the $110 savings on the AC, youíd be paying over $300 more for all parts mentioned that you can get for less than $500 above.

I would personally ONLY buy the AC if you need to minimize your initial investment, knowing full well youíll be spending more down the line. And I would still get the VHA set at minimum as I mentioned in my previous post.
so my original questions were(with proper detail)

1. I have elite shocks and 4.0 shocks. Am i just using the bodies and caps and the shafts, cups and ends from the 5.0 elite?

2. Do AE pistons fit?
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Also whats the trick to installing the servo ballcup to the bl stud. I swear it seems impossible
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tacoracer81

1. I have elite shocks and 4.0 shocks. Am i just using the bodies and caps and the shafts, cups and ends from the 5.0 elite?
I don't understand your question. Why would you use anything from the 4.0 shocks, just use the Elite?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Also whats the trick to installing the servo ballcup to the bl stud. I swear it seems impossible
When building the kit, Iíve heard of some people installing the servo way sooner than what the build manual suggests, but yeah - when you have to remove/reinstall? Itís a tight space to have to work in.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
When building the kit, Iíve heard of some people installing the servo way sooner than what the build manual suggests, but yeah - when you have to remove/reinstall? Itís a tight space to have to work in.
you are correct. I install much sooner than the manual suggests
Old 01-19-2020, 12:47 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerScott
Frank, I figured you would be the best person to answer this since you run proline and recently raced at rc fun park, where I race.

Alot of slicks being ran at big races, where proline drivers always use sanded down tires instead of MC primes. It there a reason for this? I read it's about the carcass but dont understand why. My cars always feel great on damp clay using primes, just wondering if I should try some sanded tires.
They have a better feel of balance and grip. If I raced on slicks every week, I'd probably be lazier and try to make Primes work.

Originally Posted by glennmathias
A quick question for Frank.

The 5.0 elite looks awesome. But, I really like my 4.0 for carpet due to the thicker chassis and front aluminum servo mount and chassis brace. This allows very little flex.

Here is my question (more like a request), I was wondering that if you created a 5.0 AC elite, could you incorporate a 2.5mm thick chassis and some type of front chassis brace that can stiffen up the front end?

With all the other TLR adjustment possibilities, that would be an Elite Carpet Car.

Thank you,
Glenn
We found the extra flex to be MUCH better on carpet, it was no contest....

2. Do AE pistons fit?
If you want to run the "4.0 shocks", all you need to convert G3 3.5 shocks (like those that are included in the ELITE kit) are the 4.0 shock caps and 4.0 shock bodies. All the rest from the G3 shocks works on those shocks.

Yes, but they're different. It wouldn't quite be the same. We're working to get the thin pistons back into stock as quickly as possible.

Pop on the ball cup to the servo horn, then install the mounting screws. I build mine like this without issue.

If you install the screws into the mount, the try to pop the ball cup on, it will be much more difficult.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Frank Root
They have a better feel of balance and grip. If I raced on slicks every week, I'd probably be lazier and try to make Primes work.

We found the extra flex to be MUCH better on carpet, it was no contest....

If you want to run the "4.0 shocks", all you need to convert G3 3.5 shocks (like those that are included in the ELITE kit) are the 4.0 shock caps and 4.0 shock bodies. All the rest from the G3 shocks works on those shocks.

Yes, but they're different. It wouldn't quite be the same. We're working to get the thin pistons back into stock as quickly as possible.

Pop on the ball cup to the servo horn, then install the mounting screws. I build mine like this without issue.

If you install the screws into the mount, the try to pop the ball cup on, it will be much more difficult.
thank you so much. I only ask about the shocks because where i run, everyone runs the 5.0 with 4.0 shocks.

Last edited by Tacoracer81; 01-20-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if the front part that hold the lower wing exists in aluminum... I broke couple of plastic ones.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 78 (99%+)

Originally Posted by fifi
Does anyone know if the front part that hold the lower wing exists in aluminum... I broke couple of plastic ones.
none that I've found. I absolutely would love to have one in aluminum.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

The 22 5.0 AC arrives friday with the elite C and D blocks and the VHA rear suspension, any one have a base set up for these or just go with the kit settings? Running 17.5.
thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by strodedawg
The 22 5.0 AC arrives friday with the elite C and D blocks and the VHA rear suspension, any one have a base set up for these or just go with the kit settings? Running 17.5.
thanks

Old 01-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

thank you
Old 01-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the 5.0 gear diff will fit the 4.0?

Last edited by TonyD.; 01-25-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonyD.
Does anyone know if the 5.0 gear diff will fit the 4.0?
Yes they fit. Same transmission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.