Mugen MBX8TE 1/8 Electric Truggy >

Mugen MBX8TE 1/8 Electric Truggy

Like Tree21Likes

Mugen MBX8TE 1/8 Electric Truggy

Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kruzracing169
Oops! Your going the other way.
yeah i picked up a cherry mbx7tr so probably going to sell the mbx8te - its only been raced a few times.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Any idea if Mugen has plans for an updated truggy? Planning to buy over the next month or so, and would hate for a new version to release right after I buy.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dms70 View Post
Any idea if Mugen has plans for an updated truggy? Planning to buy over the next month or so, and would hate for a new version to release right after I buy.
I don't think so. The MBX8T came out around October 2018 IRC. Mugen usually waits 2-3 years before releasing the R version and then another 2-3 years to release a new version.
They released the buggy worls edition, but that's just the normal kit with a few options that you don't necessarily need. The only things you need are the -3mm steering plates and maybe the wider C blocks if you want more steering.
dms70 likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
The only things you need are the -3mm steering plates and maybe the wider C blocks if you want more steering.
I actually feel like it's easier to drive with the stock plates.
dms70 likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
I actually feel like it's easier to drive with the stock plates.
I have tested the steering plates back to back on the buggy.
The stock steering plates are easier to drive and they are less aggressive entering the turn. Somewhere midcorner, there is a washout and then they regain grip.
The optional -3mm steering plates turn in harder and more aggressive and keep the a constant amount of grip. The front end keeps steerings steering predictably. And when going on power, the optional steering plates give more steering than the stock ones.

So for me, the -3mm steering plates are more predictable and they give the car more steering and more turn in. I will always use them on dirt because I like how they make the car more aggressive and faster. But I'm not sure yet what's better on super high grip astroturf. They can make the car edgy to drive. Because I was switching a lot between clay and astroturf in the past weekends, I keep the -3mm steering plates on the car and drove the nationals with the -3mm steering plates. I made some other changes to make car easier to drive and it worked fine. I ended up on P3 after the qualifications and finished 2nd in A main. So I was very happy how the car performed.
I will go back to that track and test the stock plates again since it's the track where I have driven the most during the past weeks.

But the MBX8 truggy doesn't have as much steering as buggy, so I think the -3mm plates would be preferred at all times in the truggy. And I guess it also depends on driving skills. Skilled drivers usually prefer more steering/turn in so they can drive harder into turns.
I would recommend everybody to get both steering plates and try them out. And give it some time before you switch back, because you need to change your driving style a little. But I prefer the -3mm plates on 90% of the tracks.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Morgoth, good analysis, I didnt find any washout on the etruggy but it has been a while since I pulled the -3mm links off of it and put them on my buggy, . Since I automatically put them on my mbx8 icant do a comparison to that setup but it sounds like you have done alot more testing than I have.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default First Time MBXT Owner Here...

So, every single vehicle I've ever owned (with the exception of the ET48.3) has it's high failure points. What are the querks you guys have seen in the MBX8Te? Do you have any suggestions on what parts inventory to have on hand?

My buddy owns one and has only provided a build tip - 3 shims, gear side. That's about it. Said not to even bother buying spare parts as he's raced his about 10 times this year and hasn't broken a single part!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
Do you have any suggestions on what parts inventory to have on hand?
I have lower arms, inner pins, outer rear pins but havent needed any of them. I did brake a rear hub but it was my own fault when I crashed and collieded with a wooden post.
ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
I have lower arms, inner pins, outer rear pins but havent needed any of them. I did brake a rear hub but it was my own fault when I crashed and collieded with a wooden post.
I guess the lack of responses on this question is a GOOD thing

I must say - these vehicles are much better now than 10 years ago!! I had a full toolbox of spares for my RC8
Old 07-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I guess the lack of responses on this question is a GOOD thing

I must say - these vehicles are much better now than 10 years ago!! I had a full toolbox of spares for my RC8
Yeah the Mugen is pretty solid. I mean you might break something if you run it full speed into a brick wall or steel beam.. but for the most part you can crash the hell out of it and it keeps going.
ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cHAmpa View Post
Yeah the Mugen is pretty solid. I mean you might break something if you run it full speed into a brick wall or steel beam.. but for the most part you can crash the hell out of it and it keeps going.
Well, let me build on this and be "that guy" (sorry, first Mugen I've owned) - any upgrades you might suggest? (functional ones - other than the bling factor)
Old 07-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well, let me build on this and be "that guy" (sorry, first Mugen I've owned) - any upgrades you might suggest? (functional ones - other than the bling factor)
Aluminum servo saver MUGE2310, Carbon Fiber front upright arm -3mm MUGE2168.... really that is about it.

Anything else really depends on what type of track you run on (Carbon shock towers etc.)... NMB bearings all around if you are that quick and want to get a little quicker. But again as others have said, the truck is money right out the box.

Last edited by cHAmpa; 07-23-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cHAmpa View Post
Aluminum servo horn MUGE2310, Carbon Fiber front upright arm -3mm MUGE2168.... really that is about it.

Anything else really depends on what type of track you run on (Carbon shock towers etc.)... NMB bearings all around if you are that quick and want to get a little quicker. But again as others have said, the truck is money right out the box.
Thanks boss - it really does appear to be quite solid. I just finished the build - super happy with it. More so than the ET48.3 by a long shot.

The one weird thing is my servo linkage. I have a Tekno 25t aluminum servo horn on my Savox. I had to mount the linkage on top of the servo horn which in turn is linked to the bottom of the steering horn on the truck. I know it sounds bad, but it's really not as bad as you'd think. I've checked the steering and there is no binding what-so-ever. There doesn't appear to be any stress on the ends either. With that said, any of you guys have your set up this way as well? The manual shows the linkage going under the horns, but I can't image that's always possible with different combinations of servos / horns.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks boss - it really does appear to be quite solid. I just finished the build - super happy with it. More so than the ET48.3 by a long shot.

The one weird thing is my servo linkage. I have a Tekno 25t aluminum servo horn on my Savox. I had to mount the linkage on top of the servo horn which in turn is linked to the bottom of the steering horn on the truck. I know it sounds bad, but it's really not as bad as you'd think. I've checked the steering and there is no binding what-so-ever. There doesn't appear to be any stress on the ends either. With that said, any of you guys have your set up this way as well? The manual shows the linkage going under the horns, but I can't image that's always possible with different combinations of servos / horns.
I have it like in the manual. I think you just need to find a different servo horn. The Flashpoint horn should work fine.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I have it like in the manual. I think you just need to find a different servo horn. The Flashpoint horn should work fine.
In a side by side comparison, I can see why the Flash Point would work, and why the Tekno does not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service