• 1 Post By imprsme
  • 1 Post By imprsme
  • 2 Post By jamminx11

Pilot RC X Rings

Old 11-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default Pilot RC X Rings

Pilot RC X Ring
Has anybody tried these X Rings? They're expensive but if they can be cleaned and reused, be worth worth it.

If there is already a thread about this product, please direct me and delete this thread.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Look up McMaster-Carr product number 6540K116. Viton X-rings: $10.50 for a pack of 50. Wonder how many you get for $20 from Pilot.

Reminds of when X-Factory was buying Torx screws from McMaster for $10 per 100 and selling them for 75 cents each (4 for $3)

I tried the McMaster Viton ones many years ago with green slime, The Viton ones are much harder than Silicone O-rings and caused more friction on the shock shaft so I stopped using them. McMaster has Buna-N X-rings for $7.36 per hundred [90025K123]. I didn't try those - they are softer but not sure Buna-N will resist silicone oil.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

I believe most things are just made by a few companies, like hardware, tire glue, loctite...
i don't want to go through trying to figure out what will or won't work.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (99%+)

Buna-N will do just fine with silicone, we have a Silicone oil used for compensation PMX-200 which is about as pure as it comes to silicone. We use both types of rubber in the oilfield industry. Believe it or not there are many more manufacturers of o-rings that one would think. Especially considering, hydraulic, pneumatic and food industries.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

I bought some of the Pilot ones.
I’ve used them for a practice day and a race day on carpet in 2wd buggy.

They seemed to have a little more friction on the Initial build. But after a few packs on the track they were very smooth.

I wasnt a big big fan of the “orange” grease they came packed in. The first set I put in one car didn’t feel smooth at all.

The second car I put them in I cleaned all that off and used green slim and they were smooth from the start.

I pulled them out the other day and they didn’t show any signs of swelling so far.

RsA89 likes this.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Look up McMaster-Carr product number 6540K116. Viton X-rings: $10.50 for a pack of 50. Wonder how many you get for $20 from Pilot.

Reminds of when X-Factory was buying Torx screws from McMaster for $10 per 100 and selling them for 75 cents each (4 for $3)

I tried the McMaster Viton ones many years ago with green slime, The Viton ones are much harder than Silicone O-rings and caused more friction on the shock shaft so I stopped using them. McMaster has Buna-N X-rings for $7.36 per hundred [90025K123]. I didn't try those - they are softer but not sure Buna-N will resist silicone oil.
I threw out bags of o-rings, and x-rings that were not silicone. I've found 50~40 Durometer range is needed to work best in shock seals. I gave up the search for buying silicon x-rings in bulk in hopes of keeping my shock seal costs down. The number of x-rings needed to get any good discount was outrageous.

RsA89, those Pilot RC x-rings do look like the Buna-N x-rings. I'd contact Pilot RC and get specs on the hardness of their x-rings.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
I bought some of the Pilot ones.
How many rings did you get with the orange lube for your $20?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

according to the link in OP you get 8.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
How many rings did you get with the orange lube for your $20?
you get 8.

I had a chance to practice and race again this past weekend end with them.

Shocks felt smooth after two full days of running them still. But I did notice a little wetness on the shock eyelet when I started my rebuilt Sunday night. Now donít get me wrong. It wasnít a ton of oil. But I had not noticed that with the AE xrings in the past few rebuilds.

That was with the car I built with the orange grease still on the Pilot Rings.

I will rebuilt the other car this week that I used green slim on and see if I notice any leaking with that one and will report back with what I find.
RsA89 likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post

you get 8.
That figures. Typical RC Markup: Buy them from McMaster for 21 cents each and sell them for $1.62.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey guys,
When pilot worked on this project there were a few important things to note. Pilot has posted a video discussing the doís and dontís on our Facebook page. One important thing we found is when using the gold shock shafts the coating is very abrasive and can cause excessive wear. Iíd recommend the chrome shafts as they will be much smoother and if you are experiencing leaking with them Iíd make sure they are not old and worn to thin. The grease will feel thick and it will feel like there is some sticking at first but the grease becomes very slick once the shock is filled with the silicon fluid and the sticking will be reduced if not eliminated. The x-rings are not a Bruna-Nitrile material. We tested with that early on and couldnít find much success there. These x-rings are race proven tho they set the fastest lap times and won the Team Associated champs just a few weeks ago in stock buggy. The rings that won the race have months of use and have no signs of leaking or swelling. Thanks to everyone that has bought them and is using them!
mgers75 and RsA89 like this.