R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

I've also stretched the red/white/black ESC to Reciever so that it was outside of the chassis, way away from the body. Still no good. I have a GTB 6.5 coming for my other xxx-4 today and I'll swap it out with the 5.5 to rule out the ESC and or the Motor.

I know this hobby requires a lot of patience. It just sucks that I know nobody that is into this stuff. Maybe that's a sign that only idiots like me waste endless money on crap that never works.
johnny_rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
Tech Addict

johnny_rotten,

First things first, we gotta relax..... believe me, most of us here have all dealt with the same problem at one point or another. It sucks more than anything. Yes, it does require a lot of patience and it is very frustrating. Personally, I don't know anyone else that has the amount of electronic problems with these cars as I do. All of my friends know me as the electronic jinx at the tracks I frequent the most. I swear that I have come accross just about every electronic problem that can possibly exist with these cars.... and I'm still running. It is worth finding the problem and fixing it.

Anyways, after quickly skimming through this thread, I've come up with a couple of ideas that may help you. First of all, I don't think it is your speed control. It might be your speed control, and in the event that it is, DO NOT throw it away! Novak will replace it for free! why throw away a 170$ piece of equipment that you can get fixed for just the price of shipping? Novak is a good company; they'll get a new one back to you with a turnaround of no longer than 10 days. Well worth the wait. Secondly, I think I saw a couple other people here mention your radio. I can almost assure you that is the problem. I was going to suggest changing out your crystals (common cause for your problem is damaged crystals) but then I noticed you are using a synthesized system. Some may disagree with what I have to say here next but I swear it to be the truth: Synthesized systems are not reliable. They aren't and never will be. They may work for sometime and some people may have them work for a year or two, but for the rest of us normal folks, they will go bad. I know. I've had two different manufacturer's synthesized systems and they both went bad. Here's the deal: All synthesized receivers use a dual deck circuit board inside the receiver casing. Jumps, bumps, and crashes cause these two boards to constantly smack together. Not good. The receivers break very easily. Once again, I know. I've had 7... count 'em, 7 Novak XXtra receivers go bad, 2 JR synthesized receivers, and 1 Airtronics. They don't last. They are all built the same. So, is that the only problem with synthesized systems? Nope. It gets worse. You know the little mechanism in your transmitter that changes the channel frequency? Yeah, that goes bad too. The way I've had it explained to me by Hitec and JR is the frequency changing module in the transmitter will from time to time go "out of tune". So, when you change from say channel 66 to 67, you really aren't going from 66 to 67. You are going from 66 to maybe 66.5. So now you have a transmitter that is getting some information accross to your receiver, but not a good strong signal. Now you have to send your transmitter in for a 're-tune' on the module! That's total crap and shouldn't happen... but it does. My suggestion to you is sell your radio and receivers. Get a crystal based system, a radio that can accept a spektrum system, a nomadio system, or the spektrum DX3 radio.... just get rid of the synthesized junk. To check my theory simply get someone elses radio and hook up their receiver and transmitter to your car. I bet it works just fine. If you know no one else, go to your lhs. They should be able to help you out.

Hope you get your problems straightened out!
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

Thanks man, but the radio I have is crystal, not synthesized. I have a synthesized novak receiver as well as the JR, pictured. They both have the same problem. Is what you are saying is that since I used the JR Radio with the synthesized receiver a few times that now my radio is garbage? I was thinking of the spectrum dsx3 if that's what it's called. Isn't that synthesized as well?

Thanks. I'm not going to throw anything out yet, I'm just ANGRY
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

No the Spektrum DX3 is not synthesized. It works on a 2.4ghz DSSS system. Go to www.spektrumrc.com to get the full explanation of how it works. I used to have all kinds of problems similar to what you're having now. After upgrading to Spektrum, I have absolutely no radio problems at all. Ever. Now I just have to stop using the boards as a guide to get around the track...

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Johnny_rotten,

That's odd you'd have a crystal in your radio but are using crystall-less receivers. Usually, either you are using crystals in both, or you are synthesized for both. Sometimes, I'll see synthesized transmitters but used with crystal-based receivers... never the way you've got it. Do you possibly have a crystal based receiver to use with your radio? If so, try that. Secondly, do you have multiple crystals for your transmitter? If so, try using a different crystal with your transmitter and change the channel on your receiver accordingly. I figure you probably have another crystal for your transmitter if you went out and bought synthesized receivers that have all the available channels. Still, my guess is that something is damaged with the transmission from the transmitter to receiver. Either your crystals in your transmitter are bad, or your synthesized receivers are bad. I wouldn't say your transmitter is garbage. Quite the contrary now that I know it is crystal based. Dump the synthesized receivers, buy crystal based receivers, and then buy the correct crystals. Remember, the crystals MUST match up with the manufacturer of your radio transmitter. Many receivers can be used with multiple manufacturers, but very few transmitters can use different manufacturer's crystals. So, if you have a JR radio, then use JR transmitter and receiver crystals together.

Good question about the Spektrum radios. No, they are not synthesized. They work in a completely different way. The crystal-less synthesized system you are using right now still transmits on 75MHz. You are still transmitting on a specific channel frequency (channels 60-90), so even if you have a synthesized radio you still must be using one of the specific land based frequencies. For example, you could be on channel 66, but so could someone else and then you have a frequency conflict. Obviously, the great idea in a crystal-less system is quickly changing from one channel to the next by simply turning a dial to avoid channel conflicts and buying multiple sets of costly crystals. The Spektrum systems (and others like it such as Nomadio) transmit on 2400MHz. There are no frequency conflicts. Up to a certain number of 2400MHz systems ( I think 80 but I'm not positive) can be run at the same time in the same area. You never change channels manually. The system takes care of all that for you to make sure you'll never conflict with anyone else in your vicinity. The receiver recognizes your transmitting module and no one elses after you've bound them together. All of the suggestions given in this thread that would reduce 'noise' in your electrical system wouldn't apply if you are using a 2400MHz system considering all electrical noise is 300MHz or less. It's pretty nice and works very well... or at least now it does. It had some teething issues early on, but they've pretty much worked out those problems now and it is becoming more rare to see Spektrum problems. 2400MHz systems are very nice and I'd definitely suggest getting one if you are considering starting from scratch. I use one with my KO Helios and love it. If I didn't use Spektrum, I'd definitely use the old crystal based method.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Well, here is the thing. I have in the above picture, a JR 3xsi Radio and Receiver, both have crystals, #83. Now since the radio I use, the JR 3xsi had multiple models, I have another xxx-4. So, I bought a novak synthesized receiver, so that I could just set the numbers on the receiver to match the crystal in the radio.

Now, here's the thing.
A. My radio the Xr3si or whatver it is, has a crystal
B. The receiver , the JR one, has same crystal (83)

Now no matter what receiver I use, the crystal one, or the novak synth one (where I can change the frequency with dials) both exhibit the same behavior in the car.

Unfortunately I don't have any crystals. How much does 2 crystals cost, one for receiver, one for transmitter (radio)

What is the spectrum model everone is talking about? How much does it cost?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

I don't see a dx-3 on the website, only a dx-2. Is there a difference?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #23
Suspended

Actually now that you mention it i think your stuff is doomed. Ship it to me and i will rid you of the headache
Jhyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #24
Tech Addict

A new crystal set (transmitter and receiver) will set you back ~30$. This is why it was really nice when the crystal-less stuff came out.... unfortunately most people prefer running their vehicles and having one or two expensive spare crystal sets as opposed to sitting on the sidelines with their radio equipment broken using a synthesized system.
I'm thinking your 1 and only crystal set is damaged. Go to your LHS. Ask them if they can let you use a spare JR crystal set to see if that is the problem. More specifically, I think your transmitter crystal is not working properly. If you hook up your radio to your two synthesized receivers and they both exibit the same symptoms (along with your one crystal based reciever), it only seems reasonable that your transmitter is causing the problem, and more specifically, probably the crystal.

If you do want to move onto 2400MHz systems, the DX2 or DX3 are very reasonably priced. Since Horizon owns both JR and Spektrum, they somehow set up the relation between the two and came up with the DX3 and DX2 from the JR XR3i and XR2i radios. The DX3 and DX2 are basically the same thing as the JR XR3i and XR2i with the Spektrum capability. The DX2 doesn't have as many features as the DX3. If you aren't looking to race, then buy the cheaper DX2. It'll suit you just fine. If you are looking for more features, then get the DX3 (same features as your XR3i that you are currently using). The spektrum website should have a thorough explanation on both radios.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

My personal experience with glitching on a relatively new ST setup...

Got my T4 all setup with a new 5.5 GTB and MX-3s (synth radio). Glitching all over the place over 50ft or so. Everytime I 'changed a channel' the thing would get worse. I swapped out the system with an old 27 Mhz Airtronics Sport something or other and the glitching was a thing of the past. I'm picking up the Spektrum system probably in place of the MX-3s. Too bad too, I liked the feel of it in my hand...
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhyten
Actually now that you mention it i think your stuff is doomed. Ship it to me and i will rid you of the headache
your not funny. you do know that right? its really starting to get annoying
Old 02-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #27
Suspended

Hey RC dude. Am i annoying you? I am happy to know that i am control of your personal feelings and state of well being. What could i post in this forum to make you happy for a little while. Then i will choose to make you angry after that. You are a silly child
Jhyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey RC dude. Am i annoying you? I am happy to know that i am control of your personal feelings and state of well being. What could i post in this forum to make you happy for a little while. Then i will choose to make you angry after that. You are a silly child
what are we, in preschool or something? we all need to act a little more mature for our ages here. we all just need some answers to our questions, we didn't order the combo deal with the attitude on the side.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

LOFL, I knew my thread would end up with a little ANGER and HATE in it.

One other thing I forgot to mention was this. I have 2 xxx-4's and I had originally set up only one model for these 2 different cars one with a GTB 5.5 and one with a ss5800.

Tonight, I cleared all the model out and I'm going to do 2 models, 1 for each xxx-4. I originally thought since I have one receiver with an 83 crystal and another synthesized receiver, set at 83 that this might work. Well it seemed to then the glitching seemed to start with the GTB 5.5 for no aparant reason.

However I haven't really been using them much since I live in MA and the street is covered with snow 8 months out of the year, or it's 10 degrees out.

Today I installed my new GTB 6.5 in the other XXX-4 with the synthesized transmitter and it seemed ok, but since the government shuts off the sun at 5pm it was tough to tell. I whaled a curb as I couldn't see sheite and called it a night. I'll have a better idea when I can actually see.

Thanks for all the help and keep the fighting going