R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-20-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What 1/8th off road motor??

Hey guys, my Nova P5 has expired early and i was wondering what suggestions you have on any alternative motors to get. I can pretty much get a new motor for the same price as a rebuild and just want to get your suggestions on what to do, stick with the P5 or something else.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

O.S. V-Spec would be the way to go in my opinion. Or an rb ws7 2 x3. Both motors are wicked fast and reliable.And even though everyone talks about the bad bearing going bad on the V-Spec, I've never had a problem with it.
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The real question is "did you like your P5 ?" If so I would get another one in a heart beat ! If you need the powerful bottom end the P5 gives ,stay away from RB's other than the C5BB . The OS is a good engine as well ,if you get the JP mod version . If yo udo go with a stock version I would cahnge the bearings out for ceramic ones and then you will be garrenteed a good one ! And it will run for a long time . I haven't seem many other new engines yet this year , I do know that my NovaRossi 421BN is still running strong ,this is probably the smoothest most powerful engine I have ever run to date ,and I have run a pile of engines , none run as well as this one does ! I'm going to be quite sad when it gives up the fight one day . But I have a replacement so only time will tell . Good luck with your choice .
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

If you liked the P5 but want more overall power you might try the Novarossi 21 Plus 5. A lot of guys are switching to it due to the smooth power and a lot of it. The P5 is still pretty good though. The OS Vspec has a lot of power and really good fuel mileage but the bearing issue makes it essentially a $350 engine once you change out the rear bearing.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I think that I will rebuild the P5. Has anyone heard much about the Plus 21-5 motor?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I would sat try an RB, s7II or WS7 x3
MonkeyButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like the collari b7. You can pick them up for around 250 and they run forever.
Dustinkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I 2nd that Collari B7...wicked fast motor
Old 02-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

The Collari is deceptively fast. It is not that loud so it kind of sneaks up on you but you better have good brakes to stop at the end of a long straight!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

The Collari B7's are great motors, but from what I've seen, they don't get great mileage. I pitted for a guy running the B7 and he could get around 5-6.5 minutes out of it, which would be around 6-7 laps on most tracks.

The V-Spec I run is running 8 minutes consistently tuned a bit rich, and I have managed 11 minutes tuned lean in colder weather. I haven't had any rear bearing issues, but I have had issues with the conrod. During longer mains, the engine temps get higher than most engines and the conrod stretches out. This has happened to me about 2 times, but only seems to be an issue in how weather or when running excessively lean.
SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Savage,

GREAT input on th V spec. I including 2 others have had conrod issues. Most have said it was because the bearing. Others say because high compression during break-in and temp.

My question is, do you just replace the conrod and keep running the engine. Have you thought about replacing the "bad" bearings (ceramic ) to fix the problem of conrod breaking.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Most of the Collari 7 ports I have seen got 8-9 minutes of run time or slightly more than a P5. The 3 port will sometimes run 10 minutes!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default NOT A V-SPEC

Hi Guys ,
don't get a v spec . myne had less than 8 liters put through it and the block blew out a piece of metal the seize of your little finger nail out, just under the bearing. It was running at 110 c checked with my Raytech gun on the day.
Still fighting with OS in japan as they have claimed it's my fault. ( This is my 10 th nitro motor and all of them run really well ) I am taking the matter futher as this is a fault of workmanship.
Please NOTE ... crank is perfect, piston and sleave is good , rod is good .. This happened on the back straight . Will post pics soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

there are too many variable's to go off when choosing a motor....what works for one person isnt gonna work for everyone...Everyone tunes different and everyone drives different.i have had just about every motor on the market and have formed my own opinions.

i have a v-spec....has ceramic bearings...very fast and hasnt failed me yet...i had a Odonnell s7 that had 18 gallons on it....then threw a rod. had a one gallon crono rs5. i could go on and on and on....you name it ive had it

my motors now last a lot longer now that i have a " process" after im done runnin for the day.

i love Rb...novarossi is second and os....there somewhere in there
Old 03-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

go with the thunder tiger 21PROBX-R its a crazy engine...i replaced it in the spot of my K4.6 in my savage and the K4.6 is a .28 andthis is a .21 and i can pop INSANE wheelies and get CRAZY top speed......i cant wait till iget my 3 speed i got a feeling im gona do a stoppie and flip over and brake my engine head lol
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote