R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   TLR22-2.0 on carpet (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1025813-tlr22-2-0-carpet.html)

Red5Ltr 09-12-2018 06:29 AM

TLR22-2.0 on carpet

I'm looking to get into 2WD buggy carpet racing. I have a TLR22-2.0. I was wondering if there's a conversion kit to make this a mid motor or if I'm better looking for a B6 or a TLR 22-3.0 or 4.0 that is already mid motor. Everything I have read running a mid motor 2WD buggy on carpet is the way to go.

Thanks to all who respond

John

bobf24 09-12-2018 06:46 AM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tlr+2...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Red5Ltr 09-12-2018 08:06 AM

BobF
I appreciate the link. The only other question I have is does the kit require a different chassis so that I can use a saddle pack

Pistol123 09-12-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Red5Ltr (Post 15297865)
I'm looking to get into 2WD buggy carpet racing. I have a TLR22-2.0. I was wondering if there's a conversion kit to make this a mid motor or if I'm better looking for a B6 or a TLR 22-3.0 or 4.0 that is already mid motor. Everything I have read running a mid motor 2WD buggy on carpet is the way to go.

Thanks to all who respond

John

Happy to be corrected but I believe the 2.0 was able to be run with the gearbox in rear or mid motor format. Also in its mid motor format it had the motor along way forward which didn't work for dirt (so they corrected in the 3.0) but would be ideal and mimic a laydown box for carpet.

Red5Ltr 09-12-2018 09:56 AM

What else would be required to convert my TLR 22-2.0 buggy to mid motor format beside's the conversion link that BobF provided. I'd like to order everything so I don't have to spend money 2 or 3 times on shipping.

Thanks Guys and Gals

E-Mann 09-12-2018 10:17 AM

I've been down this path with both 4 gear and 3 gear mid motor on the 22 2.0. It's just not competitive. I highly recommend spending money on a used B6 (not D model). You are going to be way happier with that platform on carpet.

Red5Ltr 09-12-2018 01:49 PM

E-Mann.....Thank you for the advice. What do you think of one step down for a B5M or going to a 22-3.0 or 4.0?

E-Mann 09-12-2018 04:17 PM

Stay away from the 22. 4.0 "can" work on carpet but not without lots of money in upgrades.

The b5m would work but the B6 was the first AE (and almost all other mfg) designed specifically for carpet. The b6 comes with gear diff and laydown transmission. By the time you add those (b5m didn't have a factory laydown) you will be close to the price difference between b5m and b6.

billdelong 09-13-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by E-Mann (Post 15298017)
I've been down this path with both 4 gear and 3 gear mid motor on the 22 2.0. It's just not competitive. I highly recommend spending money on a used B6 (not D model). You are going to be way happier with that platform on carpet.

+1

I've even seen the 22-4.0 struggle at the local turf track in our area, Associated, XRay and Yokomo are all doing very well on the high grip conditions in our area. If I was looking for a cost effective route I would go with a used B6 as well.

TonyD. 09-13-2018 12:06 PM

Get the Losi 22 4.0SR. awesome on the carpet.

NorthCentral RC 09-23-2018 07:04 AM

If it's what you have available now, I would say stick with the 2.0 in a mid motor format. I run one against 3.0, 4.0, b5 and b6's every week and even won last seasons point series out of an average field of 15-20. The 2.0 works great on carpet. And I run a very basic setup. I have found that it doesn't like all of that added brass weight you see people adding to the others. Also, it from the tracks I have been too it likes to run a clay type tire like an electron with a little tire sauce more instead of a carpet pin type in the rear. Seems to stay more consistent although some tracks require a pin type and I like the jconcepts lockness for those. Tires like the carpet wedge for the front work fine, but I have noticed that mine runs faster with the clay on the rear. The only real upgrade my car has is the 12mm front hex and different shock spring used to tune for the track I'm at.

outoftouchrc 09-23-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TonyD. (Post 15298823)
Get the Losi 22 4.0SR. awesome on the carpet.

The sr is a clay car not carpet at all. Diff springs, oils, ball diff, and the light weight drive train will not hold up on high grip carpet. Go used b6.

Alexv2024 09-30-2018 10:10 AM

I got back into rc racing last fall with a 22 2.0 I got a deal on with everything except rx/tx. I did OK with it and was kind missing the old BK1/2 from the early 2000's I used to race. I'm pretty sure they might be faster and more consistent. Thats how I felt any way.

Then I got a 4.0 and broke down my 2.0 for spares. Luckily I had put a 4.0 front end on it after breaking stuff so I had lots of arms and bearings to use. Way better buggy in every aspect, jumping, landing, handling everything. I didn't even want to sell the 2.0 and put someone else through that disappointment.

Buy a used 4.0 or B6 or B6.1. Staying current is just so much easier for setup advice, parts support and everything else. I just sold my extra 4.0 for $140 as a roller, so deals are out there.

asc6000 09-30-2018 11:12 AM

My 2 cents.... Whatever you choose to run... If running low lap times and winning races is your priority I would concentrate on the driving aspect. Lets say with the car you have you are driving well and getting beat by 2 seconds.... how much better of a car ( $ ) will get you that 2 seconds.... or.... how can a few small improvements in your driving get you those 2 seconds.... I see so many people trying to go FAST but they are crashing or just making huge mistakes lap after lap.... they go to the pits and fuss over the cars setup then go back out and overdrive almost every corner and lose time over and over again.... Get a better car ? have the money ? sure go for it. i'm just thinking get the most for your money... have fun either way.

fredswain 09-30-2018 04:30 PM

I have a 22 2.0 and love it but I bought it because it's the last generation rear motor Losi and mine is setup as a rear motor car. It can be run as a 4 gear mid motor as well. There is a 3 gear mid motor conversion available. You can only run inline batteries in it.