Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Buggy vs SCT

Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Buggy vs SCT

I am looking to get back into racing after 10 years off. I use to race pavement oval cars. I have owned your typical traxxas slash 2wd sct for bash but never a buggy.

my question is coming back into racing after some time off would u suggest a SCT or a buggy and why?

here are a few more items to consider

both classes are strong by me
dirt/clay racing
indoor and outdoor
budget in mind
ease to work on

any help would be appreciated I don't want to buy one and wish I bought the other thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 AM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GeremyD View Post
I am looking to get back into racing after 10 years off. I use to race pavement oval cars. I have owned your typical traxxas slash 2wd sct for bash but never a buggy.

my question is coming back into racing after some time off would u suggest a SCT or a buggy and why?

dirt/clay racing
indoor and outdoor
budget in mind
ease to work on

any help would be appreciated I don't want to buy one and wish I bought the other thanks.
2WD buggy is popular not least because it is relatively cheap and easy to work on. 2WD SC in outdoor conditions can be a pain due to the parachute effect of the large bodies. Stadium trucks are the best of both worlds, in particular the latest breed (Associated T6.1, TLR 22T 4.0 etc) if there is enough grip for a laydown transmission set-up. You should check if the class is popular on your track, though.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:52 AM
a1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Short course is pretty strong around here also but its only 4wd whichbis easier to drive. 2wd, sct because of the big body could be a great learning tool. Imo , you cant go wrong with 2wd buggy.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I prefer 4WD regardless of class, it's not clear if you're comparing 1/10 SCT to 1/8 Buggy or 1/10 Buggy?

2WD classes tend to be more difficult to drive... some folks claim this makes you a better driver but I find that I'm much closer in skill with the pros in 4WD than I am 2WD which tells me that I am a better driver with 4WD.

On the 1/8 tracks, 4WD SC is dead in our area because the jumps are too big and cause parachuting problems.
On the 1/10 tracks, 4WD SC is my favorite because they tend to be the most durable and with closed wheel wells, you can rub a little without risk of crashing, though some RD's don't call out hacking and the SC classes can get out of hand if you don't have a good RD in your area.

13.5T 4WD 1/10 Buggy is king in our area on a 1/10 turf track often with a C or D main for regular club racing... if you want to test your skill with the widest range of drivers, then this is currently the hot class in our area.

The biggest expense regardless of class will be tires, you should talk to the locals to see how long a set of tires are lasting for each class. In our area, here's some rough estimates of what we are seeing:

1/10 2WD Buggy - 3-4 race days
1/10 4WD Buggy - 6-8 race days
1/10 4WD SCT - 15-20 race days
1/8 Buggy - 6-8 race days if track is watered, 1-2 race days if track is dry (blue groove)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

2 wd buggy id the way tp go.. the parachuting in 4ws sct is not all that true if your allowed few body holes in windows and the built in fan holes are where to cut..might see if some of your old friends can borrow you 1 of each to test drive.id sat 2wd buggy .it has the most turn outs bye me in ne usa,,I race both and like them both.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

When I've ran my 4WD SCT on the large 1/8 covered track, I tend to agree that it can clear the large triples just fine so long as I'm running a Flotek body with all the right holes cut out. There have been times when I've ran at another track down in San Antonio when cross winds will hit and force us to have to lay up for smaller doubles and not able to clear some of the larger jumps depending on the direction of the wind

If it's a clear sunny day with winds under 5mph, then yeah, no problem clearing any jumps at all

Some of the guys down in San Antonio have been running the Baja body on their SCT's to eliminate parachuting problems, they're not ROAR legal bodies, but it's not a ROAR track anyway and it's a decent workaround to keep the class going.
a1 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeremyD View Post

dirt/clay racing
indoor and outdoor
budget in mind
ease to work on

My suggestion would be go to the track and see what interests you for the racing environment. Pay attention to how the drivers act as well in the class as that is a hidden factor in enjoyment of the race day.

From there, see if anyone is willing to lend you a vehicle to try out. I would state also you will pay for anything you damage, etc, and state your history of doing rc in the past. If you were here I'd happily lend you my controller to see what you think, etc.

The biggest takeaways I have running a variety of classes and the ones you are looking at is if you like something to feel nimble and direct, then the buggies would be what I would look at. If you want something where rubbin is racin doesn't mean you flip with a minor bump, SCTs can give you that. The can also handle pretty well too for what they are.

I have gone to open-wheeled vehicles this year exclusively , but I did have some good battles in SCT that I enjoyed when the driving was clean.