Search
Like Tree32Likes

Yup, this happened.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
so no lipo safe and charging in a closed car .. LOL being insite of a charging lipo is a must . using a lipo sak or bag also a must . ..never seen a lipo just go up. there are always some warnings- a Hsssss smoke and others there are safety warning for a reason try following them
You are correct, but you are also impolite. I think the OP learned his lesson, he doesn't need a lecture at this point.

- - -

OP: That sucks big-time. Any chance insurance will help pay for a replacement car, or at least repairs to the interior? I mean, it was technically caused by your negligence, but hopefully you have comprehensive insurance.

Also, were your batteries 2S2P, or 3S2P, or 4S2P, or something like that? I don't trust batteries that have cells in-parallel for longer runtime. If one of the cells fails, it can undergo a polarity reversal, and if you've ever watched Star Trek, you know that reversing the polarity could cause a chain reaction that'll destroy the entire ship! (seriously though, it forms a short-circuit with the good cells dumping all their power into the failed cell, and the massive buildup of heat causes the cells to rupture and catch fire.) That can't happen if all the cells are in-series, at least not unless the battery is plugged into something, because in that case a failed cell would just block all power flow.
Dave_S and Swosh like this.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Ya my insurance covered it and I'm currently shopping. It was a 2012 Dodge Journey rt.

The battery was a turnigy 5.0 hardcase 2s 69c
Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

so no lipo safe and charging in a closed car .. LOL being insite of a charging lipo is a must . using a lipo sak or bag also a must . ..never seen a lipo just go up. there are always some warnings- a Hsssss smoke and others there are safety warning for a reason try following them
Describe how you charge your cell phone/tablet/laptop? I'm sure OP is appreciative of your insight.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 AM
Tech Champion

To be fair, phone/tablet/laptop batteries are not capable of the same immense charge/discharge rates that RC batteries are. They are constructed to be significantly more stable, at the expense of lower charge/discharge rates.

I'd be interested to know what charge rate the OP was using. 1C? 2C? Higher? I wouldn't go higher than 2C when charging a LiPo, it's too risky. Heat can't work its way to the surface of the battery fast enough, and oxygen is more likely to dissociate from the LiCoO cathode and come in contact with lithium that has already embedded itself in the electrolyte.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

A little more Origination on that charging area would Help A lot . to me its a jumbled mess.. some legs under charging blk board .slide the power supply . might clip charging bag to front or a place you cable go with balance plugs.
"Origination" doesn't really make much sense in this context. And the mess is irrelevant - it's a charging setup in an overstuffed apartment, not a store display booth It's hardly perfect, but it'll do for now.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After I saw this I immediately put all my lipos in a steel storage box"ammo can."
Old 07-29-2018, 05:42 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i had a lipo that was puffed and i killed it with a shovel.lol
Old 07-31-2018, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for sharing this with us. I've already read several stories of lipos catching fire or smoking a lot, even when used properly.

To those who claim one shouldn't let a lipo charge unattended and that's all your fault blabla... If lipos shouldn't charge unattended that's clear evidence they're not safe. It's like a car manufacturer blaming a driver's skills for getting into an accident when the car actually has poor breaks. That's a manufacturer holding the customer liable in case of problem although the manufacturer has brought up a hazardous product.

Yeah it can be hot in a car but is it gross negligence? In my opinion no: it's a rather common situation; not as if he had put the lipo in an oven.

Finally, to those storing their lipos in an air sealed ammo box: I've read in a German forum you should avoid that because if lipos start smoking in the ammo box the pressure will make the box blow up. Makes sense to me. Now you know, do whatever you want.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swosh
Thanks for sharing this with us. I've already read several stories of lipos catching fire or smoking a lot, even when used properly.

To those who claim one shouldn't let a lipo charge unattended and that's all your fault blabla... If lipos shouldn't charge unattended that's clear evidence they're not safe. It's like a car manufacturer blaming a driver's skills for getting into an accident when the car actually has poor breaks. That's a manufacturer holding the customer liable in case of problem although the manufacturer has brought up a hazardous product.

Yeah it can be hot in a car but is it gross negligence? In my opinion no: it's a rather common situation; not as if he had put the lipo in an oven.

Finally, to those storing their lipos in an air sealed ammo box: I've read in a German forum you should avoid that because if lipos start smoking in the ammo box the pressure will make the box blow up. Makes sense to me. Now you know, do whatever you want.
Poor example and reasoning.

Andy Koback likes this.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

I've seen lipos swell very bad just by sitting in a hot car. (My brother left 2 of my new batteries in his car and wrecked them)
Andy Koback and Swosh like this.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

I will take these high performance batteries over a safer, much less performance alternative. These RC Lipos need to be respected, just like milk. Leave that stuff in a hot car and see what happens. I will tell you, there will be some sort of bodily explosion and it will be horrid.

OP I am sorry. Glad the fire was contained in the car and insurance is taking care.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes it is true, the box can't be sealed, it is dangerous. Removing the rubber seams from the lid will help, and most people also make venting holes. Mine doesn't have holes yet so I keep the lid partially open for now.
Swosh likes this.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have seen enough lipos go off in bags to say I would not bet on those saving much either. You really have to be there to watch them because I have not seen a bag contain them yet that would not have made me feel any safer.
Swosh likes this.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Anyone seen a previously un-damaged, un-puffed LiPo catch fire or get damaged when being charged with a properly functioning balancing charger at a safe amp rate (like 1C or 2C) at normal room temperatures?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ta_man
Anyone seen a previously un-damaged, un-puffed LiPo catch fire or get damaged when being charged with a properly functioning balancing charger at a safe amp rate (like 1C or 2C) at normal room temperatures?
Yup, this happened to Toni Phalen, which triggered him to make this excellent article, explaining why lipos in RCs are of a more dangerous kind than the lipos in laptops / smartphones:

http://www.competitionx.com/beginners-guide-to-rc/lipo-battery-safety/

The only thing one can object is that he didn't charge his lipo in a bag. Now it certainly wouldn't have contained the fire.

​​​​​​​But anyway a bag certainly does not help a hot lipo cool down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.