Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

1st RC truck for Dad/Son

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

for traxxas and a few other brands you can buy what parts break and change to RPM. traxxas is not a money pit like many other brands ,you will find many traxxas haters here , they think the down fall bankruptcies are caused by them ,I do not
Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I would encourage anyone considering the Stampede to watch this review here to fully understand the durability issues with the platform:

Honestly, I'm surprised the review hasn't been banned by Traxxas yet, more about their shenanigans here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas

For the price, I don't think anyone can beat the ECX AMP in terms of price/durability:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...kit-p-ecx03034
Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would take a serious look at the ECX stuff as well. The ECX Amp MT comes RTR or even as a full kit if you and your son want a full building experience. The kit comes with everything in the box as well.

The ECX 2wd Ruckus is the same price as the Stampede and its a bit better of a performer out of the box than the Stampede simply because of its wheelbase. The new Granite is great, but parts are out of stock all over. They are starting to show up and will eventually be back in full force, but right now parts are a pain.

1 more thing to think about is picking up a Shortcourse Truck instead of the Monster Truck. The 2wd Slash or 2wd Torment are both excellent platforms for bashing on dirt and grass, ride height can be lowered for asphalt or you can throw some 2.8s on them and a scale truck body. I think in general those are better platforms to begin with than the stampede. In addition to that, if you go with a Slash, the conversion to a rustler has a less parts than Stampede to Slash or Rustler..

Oh, and if you like the Skully/Craniac versions of the Stampede, just go ahead and spring for them. Adding the colored parts, getting a new body and paint will get you to the cost of one of those models. I have several versions of the pede (skully, bigfoot and standard) and the standard version just looks blah next to the others.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Koke003
Hi Guys,

Need your help, I'm looking to buy my 1st RC truck that will also be shared with my 6 year old Son, I am looking at either the Traxxas Skully (or any variant like the Craniac or Big Foot, etc) or the Arrma Granite (4x4 maybe? if it's around the same price point as the Traxxas), I want it to be brushed because of the cheaper price point and I also don't need/want mad speed at the moment.

I also hope to wrench on the truck with my Son so he can learn how electronics work so in the future a brushless upgrade will be considered.

So I have two questions:

1.- are any of these two trucks a good option as a starter truck with potential to go all out with upgrades in the future?

2.- Can anyone recommend a website that has competitive prices? I'm in Canberra and the only options are Super Toy World who not always has the trucks I want in stock and Ebay, and Ebay ships from USA and shipping alone is more than $100 dollars.

Thanks for your help!
IMO traxxas is not a good option. Try a tekna. The guys up at the local track come in and are told to get traxxas. A month later they are selling them.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

ECX Amp, no contest. The small remote is also perfect for kids.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by trottermtg
I would take a serious look at the ECX stuff as well. The ECX Amp MT comes RTR or even as a full kit if you and your son want a full building experience. The kit comes with everything in the box as well.

The ECX 2wd Ruckus is the same price as the Stampede and its a bit better of a performer out of the box than the Stampede simply because of its wheelbase. The new Granite is great, but parts are out of stock all over. They are starting to show up and will eventually be back in full force, but right now parts are a pain.

1 more thing to think about is picking up a Shortcourse Truck instead of the Monster Truck. The 2wd Slash or 2wd Torment are both excellent platforms for bashing on dirt and grass, ride height can be lowered for asphalt or you can throw some 2.8s on them and a scale truck body. I think in general those are better platforms to begin with than the stampede. In addition to that, if you go with a Slash, the conversion to a rustler has a less parts than Stampede to Slash or Rustler..

Oh, and if you like the Skully/Craniac versions of the Stampede, just go ahead and spring for them. Adding the colored parts, getting a new body and paint will get you to the cost of one of those models. I have several versions of the pede (skully, bigfoot and standard) and the standard version just looks blah next to the others.

I do think maybe a SCT will also be cool AF! now the problem is I'm starting to get the "I don't know if I want to share my expensive toy with my kids anymore" syndrome, haha.

Ok, so I've done a bit of research:

SCT - 2WD:

Traxxas slash - found some on ebay brand new going for just under $400.00 with free shipping, most are around $350 to $370

Arrma Fury - found some in ebay around $300 to $330 tops, this seems like a good option unless they suck and that's why they are cheap???

SCT - 4WD:

Traxxas slash 4x4 brushed - don't know if this is out of production, only found one in ebay going for around $400 free shipping, but even the graphics on the body look older than the newer Slash's

Arrma Senton 4x4 brushed - my LHS has it for $450 and ebay has it around $400 to $430 shipping cost and conversion rate included from USA

Basher 2WD:

Really love the traxxas Bigfoot (old school one and the new one) and the Skully and Craniac (sorry, no love for the Stampede) I've found all (even the stampede) go anywhere around $400 to $450 on ebay, my LHS also has a Craniac at $400

So basically, budget wise, the Arrma Fury is looking really tempting, I also like how it looks like a proper Baja truck (I'm old school and I come from the beaches of Cabo in Mexico, before the whole SCT craze began, the big thing was Trophy Trucks racing in the Baja 1000, I recommend googling it if you want to find out more, good stuff)

If you guys recommend it it might the winner, if not, I may have to wait a bit and save for the Bigfoot or even the Senton 4x4.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the traxxas skully is the second most ugly RC ever, only ahead of the craniac. Or vice-versa.

for bashing I prefer vehicles with open wheel style.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Tech Rookie

So I just bought my first RC!

It was one that I hadn't even considered before

I bought the Arrma Raider Mega, I feel in love with the desert buggy style of the truck, it's got the same brushed components as the Arrma Fury and allows for 2S lipo compatibility, should arrive early next week!

This buggy just begs for some LEDs on those little fake headlamps on the sides of the roll cage.

Can't wait to get it and start driving it!
mushroomed and Dave_S like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love the look of the Raider, but it has none of the durability that the 1/8 Arrma line is known for. You may paint the dog bones with some bright red nail polish first thing, as that will make them easier to find after it spits them out... Also a sad note about that rear motor 2wd Arrma platform - it is being phased out. If you really like it after a few drives, better stock up on parts while you can get them.

Also - you mentioned the $450 Senton - that should be the BLX6s - a brushless beast based on the very solid 1/8 Typhon. (I have a Typhon, great car for a RTR buggy.) There is a brushed Senton, totally different chassis, it normally sells for around $270. I have the same chassis in MT Granite form - nice truck but with not great ESC / motor. The stock motor and ESC will overheat before you can LVC a battery, every run. And if you can put up with the ESC, the motor dies in about a dozen runs... Maybe in the SCT version, with it's smaller tires, the motor and ESC can fare better...
Koke003 likes this.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryRigged
I love the look of the Raider, but it has none of the durability that the 1/8 Arrma line is known for. You may paint the dog bones with some bright red nail polish first thing, as that will make them easier to find after it spits them out... Also a sad note about that rear motor 2wd Arrma platform - it is being phased out. If you really like it after a few drives, better stock up on parts while you can get them.

Also - you mentioned the $450 Senton - that should be the BLX6s - a brushless beast based on the very solid 1/8 Typhon. (I have a Typhon, great car for a RTR buggy.) There is a brushed Senton, totally different chassis, it normally sells for around $270. I have the same chassis in MT Granite form - nice truck but with not great ESC / motor. The stock motor and ESC will overheat before you can LVC a battery, every run. And if you can put up with the ESC, the motor dies in about a dozen runs... Maybe in the SCT version, with it's smaller tires, the motor and ESC can fare better...
Should arrive tomorrow! so pumped!

This is basically mt first ever RC Truck (hobby grade) so I plan on taking care of it like if it was a thousand dollar toy I've done a bit of research on Arrma and apparently their MEGA line is the best one so far for their brushed entry level cars, I think the Raider I bought is the latest revision since it first came out so hopefully durability will be a bit better.

As for the Senton 4x4, sad to say that price is for the brushed version, at least that's what a certain toy store in Canberra is selling it for, their prices are definitely high, they also sell the Raider for $350 (brushed) but it's one version before the new one (light blue and black and has the old 2.4Ghz radio that has a flap on top to cover the trim settings) I bought mine for around $200 shipping included and it's the latest one (red and dark blue) with the new 2.4ghz radio system.

Cant wait for tomorrow!
JerryRigged likes this.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Show us some pictures.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pics would be great