Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

Looking for basher recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for basher recommendation

My last rc car was an rc10. I’ve got a car for my son, and looking for something that he can grow into for me, maybe race with one day. Budget under $600. New traxxis is like what I’m looking for ( E-Revo VXL ), but looks like people are not a fan on the forum.

1. What is your experience level for driving and building RC cars and trucks? Have you ever driven one? Built one?
experienced

2. Where do you plan on running yourRC?
outdoors, dirt.

3. What is your intention for buying? Are you going to race or bash?
bash

4. What is your budget?
around $600

5. What scaleRC are you looking for? 1/5, 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18, etc?
what is the most fun?

6. What type of power source do you want? Electric or Nitro?
electric

7. Are you looking for something durable with more support for replacement parts or "hop ups" or are you looking for
an inexpensive car just to have fun with.
durable. I have a 3d printer, so don’t know if it would be practical to start building a library of parts that brake that I could just print out?

8. Do you want a RTR (ready to run with everything but fuel and batteries) or a kit that you would have to build and
add parts manually to?
Whatever makes the car faster in the end.

10. Are you comfortable working on your own car for repairs or do you know a LHS (Local Hobby Shop) that can repair for you?
self repair
Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 PM
cnk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Probably the best basher out there would be an Arrma Kraton or Talion. Pretty much both are the same except for wheels/tires/extensions. $500 for the RTR and just add batteries/charger.
iunknown likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks CNK. From what I've read it looks like 1/8 scale is more fun that 1/10?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you still get arrma stuff?
JatoTheRipper and iunknown like this.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave_S
A lot of parts are now in stock and every now and then Tower has Kratons in stock.

Since the Arrmas are in limbo right now, another option would be the Hobao Hyper VSe buggy, Hyper SSTe truggy or the Hyper MTe Sport Plus. All of these can be picked up as a 80% ARR, just need to glue the tires and add your own electronics.
Werner sline has a great thread on the Hobao Hyper VSe here hobao hyper VS-E buggy and the MTe here newest hobao monster truck : hobao hyper MT plus
iunknown likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I second the recommendation for an Arrma; I have a Typhon (smaller than a Kraton or Talion but in the same family of cars) and it's powerful, easy to drive and durable! If you got a new Kraton or Talion and added a 4s LiPo and charger, you would definitely be close to or above your $600 budget, but paying more up front will be totally worth it in the long run. 8th scale R/C's are considered across the board to be some of the most capable, durable, quality platforms out there and they can offer way more than most 10th scale trucks.

Just a note: 3D printing R/C parts, unless they're 100% infill components that will never be flexed or stressed (which isn't many) will simply not produce usable replacements for stock plastic. No matter what compound you print, it won't have the structural integrity and ability to absorb crash impacts (nor the fit tolerance in most cases) to provide a reasonable means of keeping your car running. Stock parts are so cheap, anyway, that it's not too costly to build up a little reserve of what breaks the most!

Best of luck in choosing and driving with your son!
iunknown likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AE rc83te
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not a traxxas guy in the least, but what's wrong the with revo vxl? If you could get one for $600 that was truly RTR that would be good deal imo. I'm guessing for $600 you probably don't get batteries and maybe not charger though.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Tech Prophet

I'm not a traxxas guy in the least, but what's wrong the with revo vxl? If you could get one for $600 that was truly RTR that would be good deal imo. I'm guessing for $600 you probably don't get batteries and maybe not charger though.
could easily find used for listed budget. Especially now with the 2.0 finally becoming available. Kraton and Typhoon sound solid from couple years of reading. Never seen either run in person. My personal experience with Arrma has been mixed.

Local HobbyTown has messed with 3D printing some parts over past few years. Some worked some didn’t. Sounds like there’s stuff coming. This is from Cubby on Big Squid about week ago

Even harder still for the industry to come up with a good solution for, is 3D printing, but that too is making some headway. From what I’ve been hearing, there are a couple of our big rc companies working on strategies to finally cash in on this future tech. While there are a few different viable strategies, it would not surprise me to start seeing downloads available from a number of “big names” before the end of 2018. You may see different part downloads ranging from full arm sets, to shock tower sets, to various new upgrades for your specific model, to entire truck plastic part downloads. Pricing is still a big issue, as is file security, but with more and more houses getting into the 3D printing scene, there is some serious bank to be made once the details get ironed out.
iunknown likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 PM
cnk
Tech Adept

Yes. I just got mine from Tower today. They have started to ship again with most places getting a few at a time. I've seen Tower and AbsoluteHobbyz with them in stock over the past couple weeks. They had them in stock earlier today on the Arrma-rc.com site as well, but all are sold out now.

I won't buy another Traxxas vehicle or recommend them with the way they do business and try to patent troll/litigate competitors out of the market. Not to mention their bullying of RC Saylors on Youtube recently.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 AM
Tech Rookie

+1 for the Arrma line of vehicles. They seem like a great deal and I've heard lots of good things about them. I would say go for the kraton or talion
Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any Tekno is a better basher than Arrma or Traxxas. Tried them, not again.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by DEADWright
Any Tekno is a better basher than Arrma or Traxxas. Tried them, not again.
I couldn't agree more, however TEKNO is out of the price range for the OP unless he's willing to buy used. That said TEKNO's tend to stand the test of time and I wouldn't hesitate buying used which could realistically get you in the $600 budget for everything. I would target a used ET48.3 that was cared for by a racer. Things to look for are worn out drives and if the car looks remotely filthy, then I would stay away from it.

What I like most about TEKNO is that they offer a lifetime 50% warranty for any worn/broken parts mailed into them with no questions asked.

I have maintained dozens of brands of vehicles in the past, and I would eventually grow to appreciate TEKNO as my #1 favorite brand overall with a solid balance between price, performance and durability. A TEKNO will save you more money over the long haul with significantly lower maintenance costs than any other brand I know of.

As said earlier, ARRMA recently went bankrupt and was sold to Hobbico, the brand is in the middle of a recovery phase, they used to have a race grade equivalent called DURANGO and that brand was shut down a few years ago which leaves ARRMA in a tough situation for a someone who one day wants to get into racing, then the ARRMA won't have race grade features available

As far as Traxxas goes, here are my thoughts on the brand:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas

Best of luck in your search!

Oh and if for whatever reason you decide to increase your budget, I feel the ultimate basher is the TEKNO MT410:
DEADWright likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For general bashing, it is hard to beat a /8 truggy, unless you just don't have room to let them run. Fast, tough, they mostly ignore mowed grass, they jump and fly great, throw on a set of Monster tires and 6s, and they are just beastly.

Best is the Tekno ET48, or MT410 - long wheel base and short wheel base. BUT, you are not getting one built up ready to run for $600, unless you buy a used chassis, and build with budget electronics.

Best RTR truggy is probably the Arrma Kraton (LWB) / Outcast (SWB) - $500, but a bit hard to find. They are finally starting to come available, though.

If you can't find a Arrma, the Hobao Hyper SSte is a good option. As Slick said, you can get them RTR or 80% kit - truck is assembled, body is clear, tires not glued, no electrics.

Traxxas - mostly overpriced for what you get, plus they hare starting to be - as a company - a bunch of bullies. First suing companies into bankruptcy, now they are harassing you tubers that criticize their products, or compare them to others. If you are a you-tuber, they have become Voldomort - "He who must not be named"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas
Edit - Ninja'ed... LOL
billdelong likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

The Team Redcat TR-MT10E 1/10 RC monster truck is a beast of a truck and a lot of fun to drive. The included electronics are really good and plenty of upgrade parts are available. It's basically a more budget friendly version of the Tekno MT410 which is an awesome truck as well.

You can get a complete combo here for under $400 - Team Redcat TR-MT10E 1/10 RC Monster Truck

Best regards,
Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.