Like Tree61Likes

Mugen MBX8 Eco

Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am still waiting for my arm reamer....I had to buy the Hudy 4mm from overseas as everyone was out of stock a couple of weeks back. I have a race on the 28th I am getting ready for. Now I only need some diff fluids and I will be set.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slackinoff View Post
I am still waiting for my arm reamer....I had to buy the Hudy 4mm from overseas as everyone was out of stock a couple of weeks back. I have a race on the 28th I am getting ready for. Now I only need some diff fluids and I will be set.
is the Arm reamer really that much better than a good quality #19 drill bit? I used the drill bit for the Arms and it worked perfect.
slackinoff likes this.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCSteveH View Post

is the Arm reamer really that much better than a good quality #19 drill bit? I used the drill bit for the Arms and it worked perfect.
Agreed. I could see purchasing an arm reamer if one is building about 3 kits a year. But, if one just has one, primary rig, I'd try the drill bit or borrow a buddy's first before shelling out the cash for a reamer.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can get setups for the MBX8 Eco. mugenracing only has the kit setup. any ideas?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

5/32Ē chain saw file is cheap and available at most hardware stores. Works better than any other reamer or drill bit Iíve tried. FYI.
mebolson and Theetonster like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fpart View Post
Does anyone know where I can get setups for the MBX8 Eco. mugenracing only has the kit setup. any ideas?
I haven't found any besides looking at the pictures of mayfields setup on petite. I am still trying to get used to the kit, so I really don't want to make any changes from the kit setup just yet. At my next race on the 28th, I might try some rear toe settings, and also rear roll center changes. Mostly, I am working on tire choice. It's not as easy as picking the fast guy choice, for me at least.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dcon View Post
Agreed. I could see purchasing an arm reamer if one is building about 3 kits a year. But, if one just has one, primary rig, I'd try the drill bit or borrow a buddy's first before shelling out the cash for a reamer.
I am an idiot - yes a drill bit would be fine. I guess I was really wanting a shiny new tool.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

I am an idiot - yes a drill bit would be fine. I guess I was really wanting a shiny new tool.
I totally understand. Everyone loves looking at the shiny new toy in their tool box lol
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have had the Hudy arm reamer and the #19 drill bit for years now. Doesn't come close to the effectiveness of a 5/32" (4mm) chain saw file. Whether using it by hand or chucking in up in a drill, it reams the arm much faster without ovalizing the hole (which I find happens when using a drill bit). The reamer, on some types of plastics, doesn't even scratch the surface. Not even sure why I keep it in my pit box anymore.

With the chain saw file for the hinge pin holes, pliers to squeeze the rod end to free up the links and lightly roughing up the outdrive pin surfaces with a Dremel, you can build a new kit that requires little to no chassis "break-in" time.

$7.00 at Lowes will get you 2 of them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-Chai...g-File/1112123
Theetonster and slackinoff like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

I totally understand. Everyone loves looking at the shiny new toy in their tool box lol
Haha. Thanks man. Well the Hudy tool came in. I was not expecting much.....It's bad ass though! It worked perfectly, four strokes and the fit was perfect. I did get the "special edition" version (part #107644) so maybe it is different from the other Hudy reamer.

And I quote from the packaging. This made me laugh. "Tips made from special world-renowned, TOP-SECRET, self-developed, Hudy Spring Steel."

The tool is a bargin.....I mean, how much would you pay for top-secret spring steel? It's TOP-SECRET player!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

A better driving car this race. But, upon tearing the car down, I can see there is still room for improvement on friction and bind.

1.) I broke the rear hub pin, the threaded part. A sponsored Mugen guy, Jody, said he has been chatting with Drake about it. Apparently it is an issue they are working on. For now, tighten and then back it off a quarter turn. This seems to help as per Adam Drake.

2.) I noticed was my arms got tight again! I did not ream them out enough and just a bit of dirt can cause binding. I re-reamed, and polished the pins. (chuck into drill and used a rag with polish paste.) Hopefully this will also help with binding. Polishing them really made them slick. Another tip I got was to get the pins to basically fall through the arms. That's a good way to judge how much to ream.

3.) Seeing has how much polishing the front arm pins helped. I am going to polish all the pins on the car and also the shock shafts.

Last edited by slackinoff; 08-06-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Haha. Thanks man. Well the Hudy tool came in. I was not expecting much.....It's bad ass though! It worked perfectly, four strokes and the fit was perfect. I did get the "special edition" version (part #107644) so maybe it is different from the other Hudy reamer.

And I quote from the packaging. This made me laugh. "Tips made from special world-renowned, TOP-SECRET, self-developed, Hudy Spring Steel."

The tool is a bargin.....I mean, how much would you pay for top-secret spring steel? It's TOP-SECRET player!
Sweet! Iím sure all of us can appreciate a precision instrument.

You made the money, so you should spend it however you like!
Old 08-06-2018, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

There is nothing quite like a well polished shaft...err, wait that doesn't come across well. Let me try again....I spent the entire weekend polishing my shaft....dangit, that won't work either. Ok, one last try......My shaft has minimal bind after a good polish. Just forget it.

Just having a bit of fun there. Polishing all the pins and shock shafts had made a marked improvement. I also reassembled the shocks with some special suspension/oring lube that really helped.

The buggy is almost ready for this coming race on Sunday.

Evoking1230, Fearo and dikke hond like this.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Just ordered one. Should be up and running in a week. First Mugen. My 8IGHT and EB48.4 should be up for sale soon if all the hype Iíve been hearing at the local track is true.
Did you adapt the MBX8 Eco? Is it higher than Tekno EB48.4?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service