Like Tree117Likes

Mugen MBX8 Eco

Old 04-28-2023, 09:48 AM
  #421  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 472
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to Mugen

Hello. Like the title states I'm new to the mugen seiki mbx8r eco. I switched from a tekno eb48 2.1. I've had the chance to run the mugen for one race day. Wasn't good due to wrong tire choice. How is the kit setup for a large medium grip track? I've read somewhere that the kit swaybars are alittle thick and should be running thinner ones. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Edit Quote Multi
jamsandolina is offline  
Old 05-02-2023, 10:50 AM
  #422  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
macnkitty2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,986
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

How often does Mugen update their 1/8 buggies? I'm considering picking up an MBX8R Eco this summer but don't know how long before Mugen may release an updated model.
macnkitty2002 is offline  
Old 05-04-2023, 04:10 AM
  #423  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,943
Default

Usually every 2-3 years. The mbx7 was around for 3 years. The mbx7r for 2 years. I think the mbx8 was also on the market for 4 years, but we had covid in between so that might had an impact.
Jrxpro likes this.
morgoth is offline  
Old 05-09-2023, 08:05 PM
  #424  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 472
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default LW arms????

What are the purpose of the LW arms for the mbx8r eco? Besides lighter weight would they be a good tuning option for a low/med grip track? Reason I ask is because the rear end of my buggy breaks free everytime I get on the gas after I make a tight turn like a 180 turn and causes me to oversteer and hit the pipe.
jamsandolina is offline  
Old 05-10-2023, 08:09 PM
  #425  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 48
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamsandolina
What are the purpose of the LW arms for the mbx8r eco? Besides lighter weight would they be a good tuning option for a low/med grip track? Reason I ask is because the rear end of my buggy breaks free everytime I get on the gas after I make a tight turn like a 180 turn and causes me to oversteer and hit the pipe.
Currently race mbx8team(some r upgrades), back up is a mbx6eco(carbon fiber towers, steering plate), Also a Mbx6tr upgraded to 8t arms, carbon all around. So, in short..and i can't say how different the material is on the new lightweight arms(still annoys me its touted as a feature now?) But I can say, that on my hard packed groomed clay indoor track(16-17 second lap for scale) the 8 is amazing for me....outside on the big ole southeastern (states) rough dirt track (25-27 lap) the 6 is so much more comfortable..I'd run it more if could get parts....same with the 6T....(its dying a slow death by drive train parts)....
I pretty much have my T set for the indoor track due to the season I raced last(carbon inserts)...haven't reset for summer....I have enough og6T arms to really give it a solid chance outdoors, May just run no inserts first in the 6T, then switch. My 8 buggy is so weird in a good way...its awesome for me personally...and its hard to give up on it and go back to what feels like gens-old design(I know its more nuanced than my generalization about it)..may pull inserts out of it too. .

On a different note.....I've recently considered running a much lighter center diff than would ever run normally. (Thanks JQ invisible speed series for that) to try to tame the snap oversteer on hard in, hard out tight corners.

I've also kinda embraced how my stuff drives, how I can drive it, and just adopt my race craft around it, tactically speaking.

After proofreading, I may have taken for granted you know 6 and 7 arms are similar to the new lightweight 8 arms. Also, I have zero experience with the new arms. My opinion is based solely on the structural similarities of the arms design to gens-old.

And, on a side note question.....can I ask?

Wouldn't slightly "heavier" arms maintain a lower COG? Or on a micro level, since they are sprung weight, cause instability on rough surfaces?

Last edited by phattracker; 05-10-2023 at 08:21 PM.
phattracker is offline  
Old 05-10-2023, 08:28 PM
  #426  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 48
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
How often does Mugen update their 1/8 buggies? I'm considering picking up an MBX8R Eco this summer but don't know how long before Mugen may release an updated model.
If they continue the same upgrade trajectory..The new R's are the last "iteration" of the 8 series. Can't say how long till the 9, don't know if anyone can.. The 8R is what I'd get if I were you, and didn't wanna wait for an indeterminate amount of time.
phattracker is offline  
Old 05-14-2023, 07:09 PM
  #427  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (36)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

does anyone know if you can fit the MBX8R battery tray on the non "R" MBX8?
mfcplflo is offline  
Old 08-21-2023, 11:07 AM
  #428  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (43)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Picked up a very lightly used 8R eco a few weeks ago and ran it the first time this weekend. The track is temporary and built the night before the race at a fall festival fair type of thing. The track tends to be pretty loose with lots of dust and loam, but they do their best to pack it down tightly the night before. For an idea on how loose can be I was running X4 bowtie 2.0's and that was just because I didn't have any super soft Enduros.
I tore the car apart last week and basically put it back to kit setup other than a few Drake changes. I also ran a standard size pack because I don't currently have a shorty 4S and I didn't want to run a jumper with two 2S's. The car squared up excellently, and the shock package was spot on. I wouldn't even say it was aggressively loose coming out of the corners. There was one big table top on the back straight, and then two ski jumps in a row on the front straight. Most of us learned early that it was faster to sky the first one and slam into the face of the second one then rolling the first one and jumping the second one. The shock package would consistently take that flat landing beautifully lap after lap.
The only other real obstacle was a small 5 pack that my car was easily able to double triple or triple double. Coming from an associated B3e that just never seemed to work right this thing was absolutely awesome. Was able to take the TQ in the second round and drive away in the a main to a win. While yes it was a charity race, there were something like 50 e buggies, and four or five sponsored drivers in the a main. Definitely excited to get this thing out to my local track and see how it does on something more normal.

P.s. Damn Proline tires kept coming unglued all day. Finished the last minute or so of a main with the foam sitting there on the arm.
Cain likes this.

Last edited by Flipside6900; 08-22-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Flipside6900 is offline  
Old 08-22-2023, 03:32 PM
  #429  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Faytona
Posts: 26
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Flipside6900
Picked up a very lightly used 8R eco a few weeks ago and ran it the first time this weekend. The track is temporary and built the night before the race at a fall festival fair type of thing. The track tends to be pretty loose with lots of dust and loam, but they do their best to pack it down tightly the night before. For an idea on how loose can be I was running X4 bowtie 2.0's and that was just because I didn't have any super soft Enduros.
I tore the car apart last week and basically put it back to kit setup other than a few Drake changes. I also ran a standard size pack because I don't currently have a shorty 4S and I didn't want to run a jumper with two 2S's. The car squared up excellently, and the shock package was spot on. I wouldn't even say it was aggressively loose coming out of the corners. There was one big table top on the back straight, and then two ski jumps in a row on the front straight. Most of us learned early that it was faster to sky the first one and slam into the face of the second one then rolling the first one and jumping the second one. The shock package would consistently take that flat landing beautifully lap after lap.
The only other real obstacle was a small 5 pack that my car was easily able to double triple or triple double. Coming from an associated B3e that just never seemed to work right this thing was absolutely awesome. Was able to take the TQ in the second round and drive away in the a main to a win. While yes it was a charity race, there were something like 50 e buggies, and four or five sponsored drivers in the a main. Definitely excited to get this thing out to my local track and see how it does on something more normal.

P.s. Damn Proline tires kept coming unglued all day. Finished the last minute or so of a main with the foam sitting there on the arm.
Elburn Days cookout? Man it was a hot one out there.
Flipside6900 likes this.
DsmDoood is offline  
Old 09-29-2023, 03:53 PM
  #430  
Tech Master
iTrader: (46)
 
jabroni racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: largo florida
Posts: 1,890
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Looking into getting a Mbx8r Eco but on the fence, so many buggies to choose from, , Would LuV honest opinions if you came from another brand which brand, wear, Pros an cons, performance box stock exception of diff or shock oil changes, any and all info to help me along with my choice.
jabroni racing is offline  
Old 09-29-2023, 06:20 PM
  #431  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Looking into getting a Mbx8r Eco but on the fence, so many buggies to choose from, , Would LuV honest opinions if you came from another brand which brand, wear, Pros an cons, performance box stock exception of diff or shock oil changes, any and all info to help me along with my choice.
The Mugen is an Icon. Race kits only. No damn hobby shop garbage. No rtr's. (Shame that theyre trying to make a 2wd buggy though. Ick)

The vast majority of successful cars out there, winning every weekend, are Mugen copies, or Mugens. Its pays to go with the original.

The only thing Id like to see, is more adjustability. Like the Xray. But that adds cost. And costly option parts, like Xray.

I loved how my obsolete Mugen Eco handeled on the ground. But hated the shocks and suspension travel (or lack of). Pretty sure they've fixed all of that.

Easy brick pack layout. Easy wiring. Even a center diff cover to protect the wires.

jabroni racing likes this.
Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-06-2023, 03:23 AM
  #432  
Tech Master
iTrader: (46)
 
jabroni racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: largo florida
Posts: 1,890
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Just ordered my mbx8r eco, curious what diff fluids people are starting off with, 5/5/2 like manual ?. I saw the Adam Drake build where he said he uses 10 10-7 but in his diff fluid videos he said that's with universals, with the CVA he runs 5/7/4. Tracks I'll be running on are usually going to be hard packed medium to high bite outdoor clay.
jabroni racing is offline  
Old 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
  #433  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Just ordered my mbx8r eco, curious what diff fluids people are starting off with, 5/5/2 like manual ?. I saw the Adam Drake build where he said he uses 10 10-7 but in his diff fluid videos he said that's with universals, with the CVA he runs 5/7/4. Tracks I'll be running on are usually going to be hard packed medium to high bite outdoor clay.
Congrats. Its a great car. 10-7-5

Then 10-10-5. Then 10-15-5.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-06-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-06-2023, 01:51 PM
  #434  
Tech Regular
 
themountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
The vast majority of successful cars out there, winning every weekend, are Mugen copies, or Mugens. Its pays to go with the original.
.
No offense but when did a Mugen win anything lately ??
themountain is offline  
Old 10-06-2023, 02:36 PM
  #435  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default

Cool. AE just won 2 World titles, with a Mugen. Xray in 2nd in one of those races......with a Mugen. Ryan M in 3rd, both of those races, with an actual Mugen.

And Mugen/Xray/AE have been on every podium I've seen, for years. Dont just look at a couple World/Nat events.

That's just my perspective. Mugen is the benchmark right now. (I'm running the Xray version)
jabroni racing likes this.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-06-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Zerodefect is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.