Like Tree36Likes

Mugen MBX8 Eco

Old 05-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Same here. I didn't drive for 4.5 years and my last car was the MBX7 before I tried the Serpent car.
I drove my MBX8 for the first time yesterday with 5-5-3 in the diffs and 600/450 in the shocks with drilled 6 hole pistons (3x 1.35 and 3x. 1.45 front and 3x 1.35 and 3x. 1.50 rear).
Long rear links, 1° anti squat, 4th ackerman hole, +1mm hubs, inline front hubs and the rest is the stock setup.

I liked my mbx7 the best with 7-7-3 on dirt and 15-15-7 on astro, but the diffs on my MBX8 feel ticker than the MBX7 diffs filled for astro.
Or maybe I overfilled my diffs. I always build them to have the fluid above the crosspins, but now I build them to "Drake spec" (check his youtube) and they hold more oil that way.

The car was really good on entry and mid corner, but as soon as I hit the throttle, but car wanted to break out really bad. I drove only 1 pack on the track, so I guess it will get better after the breakin. I guess 5-4-2 or 5-3-2 will be good for breakin. And I also have to do some testing with the ackerman. I remember is changed the feel of the steering a lot on my MBX7, but I can't remember what was best.
I drove the car again today after it rained and the track wasn't as hard and icy as before. The car still has some oversteer coming out of the corner, but it was controllable.
The car felt a bit better after 2 more packs, so I guess it will gain traction as I drive it more. I have only driven it 3 packs with it and most nitro guys say it needs about 1 gallon to be dialed. I guess that's about 12 packs of batteries.

Originally Posted by dikke hond View Post
Jasper?
Yes, that's still me
I stopped racing for 5 years and bought this car 2 weeks ago :-)
How are you Mark? Still racing?
They opened a track 10 minutes from our office and another one 30 minutes from my house. They only allow electric cars, but at least I can drive 1/8 scale again without having to travel for at least 2 hours to the closest track.
Originally Posted by RonFL View Post
Anyone encounter very sticky center driveshaft universal joints? The front shaft is fine but the rear is very sticky. Never seen this with a brand new part... Amain was not helpful at all, just told me to contact Mugen. Not stoked.
My front center universal is a bit sticky... I spilled some loctite on it when putting the grub in it and didn't notice it. But it didn't move very free when after 1 hour when it dried up. I'll just ran it and it starts to free up now.

Last edited by morgoth; 05-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
My front center universal is a bit sticky... I spilled some loctite on it when putting the grub in it and didn't notice it. But it didn't move very free when after 1 hour when it dried up. I'll just ran it and it starts to free up now.
Gotcha… I soaked mine in WD40 but that didn't help. I put some heat on the joint with a heat gun and it finally loosened it up to the point where it's now usable... I've ordered a replacement just in case.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RonFL View Post
Gotcha… I soaked mine in WD40 but that didn't help. I put some heat on the joint with a heat gun and it finally loosened it up to the point where it's now usable... I've ordered a replacement just in case.
I drove about 5-6 packs of batteries yesterday and my front shaft is now free again. It was free out of the box, but I messed it up by spilling loctite on it.
And wow, this car is fast and nimble. I didn't drive for 5 years, but I remember that I was always looking for more steering on my MBX7's. This MBX8 has just so much steering everywhere, but it's a little tricky to drive on-power on low grip surfaces. The car is still breaking in, but it already feels a lot better than it was on the first 3 packs.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

How much do your cars weigh? Ready to run, but without wheels.
I wonder who has a light mbx8 eco :-)

And please tell what option parts you used to get it lighter, became I'm looking to put mine on a diet.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Gearing question. I’m running stock gears and I mainly run on an extremely no shit dusty track. I know the buggy has a solid setup but I am asking if I go down a tooth on the pinion if I could get on throttle faster with lessening my chances of a spin out? Running 8-8-4 diffs and I’m gonna try 10 in the center to try create more of a pull and not a push.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx View Post
Gearing question. I’m running stock gears and I mainly run on an extremely no shit dusty track. I know the buggy has a solid setup but I am asking if I go down a tooth on the pinion if I could get on throttle faster with lessening my chances of a spin out? Running 8-8-4 diffs and I’m gonna try 10 in the center to try create more of a pull and not a push.
Going down on the pinion will increase acceleration so you will spin out after. And going up in the center diff sends more power to the rear wheels.
If you struggling with the rear end breaking out on power, you should drop the center diff. 4-5k in the center is what I would run on a really low grip track.

And change to the upper hole on the rear hubs (closest to the axle). They will increase the traction on power.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Going down on the center makes sense. This is the setup now
Old 05-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Ah, you're already using the upper hole in the hub.
I'd take the lower position for the anti squat instead of the middle one to get a bit more roll and drifting will be more preditable.
Also run 100-150cts difference in the shock oil. Maybe 450-350 or 500-350. And try 8-5-4 in the diffs or 5-5-4. (front-center-rear)
And try the rubber in the rear chassis brace to gain a little flex. A carbon rear tower can help as well.

Also turn down the punch control of the ESC if you run on a really low grip track.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is the plastic Spur strong enough? Or does everyone just throw it in the bin and use a metal spur from the nitro kit like other brands?
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TMS-99 View Post
Is the plastic Spur strong enough? Or does everyone just throw it in the bin and use a metal spur from the nitro kit like other brands?
It's perfect for me. I drove on high grip astroturf the past 2 practice days and there is no visible wear.

A friend had the mbx7r eco and had 1 spur fail in a whole year because his mount came loose and the motor moved. But I guess this will destroy the metal spur as well.
As long as the mesh is stays good, the plastic spur is perfect (and super quiet!)
I just bought an extra spare spur as safety in case I ever have a failure.
Old Today, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

my truck has 31 hours on it's original spur, it looks good for another 31 hours...