10th scale VS 8th scale..... opinion >

10th scale VS 8th scale..... opinion

Like Tree22Likes

10th scale VS 8th scale..... opinion

Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default 10th scale VS 8th scale..... opinion

I have raced 10th scale for the past several years so this year I thought I would try out some outdoor offroad 8th scale. First impression is I just really don't like it. Is it just me or do others not really enjoy 8th scale as much or does it just take time to grow on you. Any and all opinions are welcome thanks.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

1/8 is bigger and in my opinion, takes less finesse and precision. I enjoy the nitro engines for the feel and sound. They seem more sluggish to me but with more power.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When an eighth scale is running well, there is nothing like it. When it isn't running well, it is miserable and expensive, because everything you throw at it to make it good again is so pricey. I would say this is true whether you are running nitro or electric.

The ratio of time it is good versus not good depends on a lot of things, but compared to the simpler cheaper tenth scale racing classes, it is unlikely that operating an 1/8th scale racing program will beat operating a 1/10th scale racing program with regards to the fun versus work ratio.

​​​​​​Other factors come into play though. Maybe your local track starts only racing eighth scale, or you have friends you want to race with that only run eighth scale, or there are big one off annual races you want to compete in that are only eighth scale. These are all external things that drive people to pick their classes.

All of this said, 1/8th ebuggy is my favorite class. I don't get to run it any more because the local hobby shop shut down their outdoor track, and now only races tenth scale indoors. I like the big blown out loamy track. It slows everyone down and makes everyone work at all aspects of driving the car as well as forces people to run relatively balanced setups.

The trendy high grip indoor track with slicks is one step away from becoming an old school slot car track, where everyone is chasing the setup that lets them just hold the trigger.... There is no margin or error in taking the turns, either you run it perfectly or you "deslot" via traction roll.

The pendulum is always moving, and I predict in another 10 years we will be running on some sort of maintenance free "loose" surface that simulates real dirt, but requires much less maintenance and is easy to maintain in a consistent condition. Maybe the motor will keep edging forward and we will be running front wheel drive!
​​​
Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

A lot will depend on the quality of the track you're running on and how well set up the car is.
I used to think a 2wd 1/10 scale was difficult to set up but it literally is nothing compared to setting up a 1/8 scale.

I like 1/8 better because I'm a motocross racer and it just feels more similar to me. Another huge thing for me is that I think 8th scale allows for a much more personalized setup. People can run really different shock/roll/geometry and even tire setups according to their own driving styles and basically turn the same lap times, whereas with 10th scale I believe plugging the "hot setup" into your car is usually the best way to go and that takes away a lot of the creativity and brainwork for me.
raylesk likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
I have raced 10th scale for the past several years so this year I thought I would try out some outdoor offroad 8th scale. First impression is I just really don't like it. Is it just me or do others not really enjoy 8th scale as much or does it just take time to grow on you. Any and all opinions are welcome thanks.

what don't you like? That's kind of important. Is it the track? The people who run 1/8th?

I tried running 1/10 indoor oval, and I hated it. I didn't get the people who were into it; they didn't seem very very friendly. They weren't mean, but they weren't very social. They were into super-realistic paint jobs, complete with scale sponsorship decals, doping tires, and all kinds of stuff that I'm not interested in. And it was almost impossible to get time running the car outside of a formal racing environment--that's probably the worse part. By comparison, almost all of my 1/8 running is for fun, just free practice.

I think that 1/8th is a better car. 1/8th scales seem to be the sweet spot for size. It's kind of an engineering thing...it's about the relationship between the size of the parts and the strength of the materials they're made from, as well as the ability to mold/ machine complex small parts. It's just easier to make things a little bigger, and the result is most 1/8th scales will rarely break parts, whereas my experience with 1/10th scale was breaking parts regularly and needing lots of upgrades. There's a whole industry of "upgrading" 1/10th scales, but that doesn't really exist for 1/8th scale.
ta_man, raylesk and dtr like this.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
I own and have raced both. My preference is 1/10th scale. That said, were I to get active in 1/8 scale racing again it would be with a two-person team. Cost sharing maintenance and upgrades ease the price sting. My joy is in the wrenching and pitting. Leave the driving to someone else. Learning your strengths and weaknesses and adapting your racing to them is part of the joy in the hobby.

Important thing is if you like it. If not, it will be tough to stay with it. Good luck.

AC
slackinoff likes this.

Last edited by AHR43; 05-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

The club in my area has both a 1/10 turf track and 1/8 dirt track on the same facility, they alternate racing each week between tracks with opposing track open for practice. Both styles of racing are worlds apart... those with less experience tend to prefer turf racing because setup is far more forgiving, pretty much point and shoot... and tire selection is dumbed down.

On the 1/8 track, it's a very humbling experience, that's where skill separation really kicks in with far more variables... if you have the time and energy to put into tuning your 1/8 then it can be very rewarding, otherwise you'll be flailing around in the lower mains. You have to make tuning changes regularly to see what works or not for given track conditions... for many people, that's what they love most about 1/8 racing.
Tbuggy likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Firsly, I drive all the cars on the same track since we only have the one locally, so track differences don't come into it. Namely it's a 1/8 track. My experience with 1/8 is still quite limited, only driven 9 packs through my e-buggy. Overall it seems OK, not that all that different from my 4WD 1/10 SCT. But I do still prefer the SCT (including the 2WDs) and how it (they) drives, but also even more I like how SCTs look. I don't like the buggy looks much. I must say it'd be interesting to try out a 1/8 SCT. Anyway, 1/10 buggy-wise I only have a 2WD, so from personal experience can't say how e-buggy would compare to 1/10 4WD buggy.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
I must say it'd be interesting to try out a 1/8 SCT.

I don't know if you've compared a SCT to a 1/8th buggy, but they are almost exactly the same size. The main difference between SCT and 1/8 buggy in terms of physical dimensions is that the track width on the buggy is 10mm wider.

New 4x4 SCTs are essentially a 1/8th buggy with a truck body on top. So the difference in handling characteristics is mostly determined by the body design. I admit that the scale look is a real thing, but since we aren't driving at scale speeds, I personally prefer the performance of a buggy over the looks of the SCT. I'd like SCT better if parachuting wasn't an issue.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Err, well I talked about the SCT vs e-buggy specifically so yeah, I have compared And yes, I know 1/10 SCT is pretty much 1/8 buggy as a platform, however 1/8 SCT in turn is of course bigger than a 1/8 buggy. Still based on the same platform, but the AE SC8.2e RTR for example is ~9cm longer than a 1/10 SCT as well as heavier (~1kg more than an SCTE RTR, plus a few hundred grams more for the heavier 4S battery I guess). And this heaviness further reduces parachuting, which really isn't bad on a 4WD 1/10 with a ventilated body either, unless it's quite windy. Admittedly the size difference still is smaller than between the buggies, which might be part of why the 1/8 SCT died out - too similar.

Of course a more current thing would be the 1/7 Traxxas UDR, another 7cm longer and 2kg heavier than the SC8 and a very different platform, to boot. Would be cool to try at a 1/8 track as well - for driving outside the track I prefer more "ATV" style, like my Gmade GOM rock buggy, but of course there are terrain types where the UDR would be the nicer car.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I always liked driving 1/8th scale buggies and actually E-truggy was always one of my favorite classes to race but locally the majority of the people that run them suck to race with. Its pretty much the same case with 4wd SCT and 10th 4wd buggy as well, because they have tons of power and 4wd traction people just drive like total goobers. I try to stick mostly to 2wd 10th scale stuff. At least then when over powered goobs try to dive bomb the corner they generally just spin out of your way.
Big_Show and slackinoff like this.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Prophet

I don't mind 1/10 4wd buggy outdoors and indoors but E-Buggy to me is so much funner you just drive it its not as sensitive to setups or driving them as the smaller scales so you can drive them harder .

I always seem faster with 1/8 scales outdoors than 4wd buggy . Not to mention around me outdoors its mostly a 1/8 kind of crowd with 2 1/10 tracks.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I miss the 1/10 nitro trucks!
bobf24 and brokenmoto like this.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobf24 View Post
....At least then when over powered goobs try to dive bomb the corner they generally just spin out of your way.
Exactly how our racing is right now. It looks like freaking Mario-cart out there, total mayhem. We have no 2wd classes ATM because the majority of racers that come to this track, they just love to charge and barge. Next season we are supposed to have a 2wd SCT class. I am super excited because 2wd totally suits my driving style. I even picked up a used kit and have been dialing it in during practice. With superior class and racing etiquette - I will destroy them....Like a gentleman. LIKE A GENTALMAN! . (evil, sinister laugh) Muhaahaa.
Big_Show and Cadon78 like this.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I come from a motocross back ground, bikes and quads along with plain just offroading. The 1/10th 2wd handles really similar to my quads. So I can relate my 2wd buggy/stadium truck/ short course to the quad. Plus 2wd is for racing, 4wd for mudding. I have had both ebuggy and truggy and hated them, 1 4wd, 2 they didn't feel like I was running my quad or bike. I have been doing this since 1982 and have never liked 4wd RC, now I love ripping terrafirma in my Can Am Maverick out on the trail or in the mud. Plus there are to many racers in 1/8 that are plain out of control. 1 place I raced 1/8 it was like a smash up derby. No race etiquette at all. Most 1/8 drivers need to race stock buggy awhile and learn how to be smooth and not slam each other. People make me hate 1/8 also, I keep hearing from these young snowflakes 1/10th is for indoors and 1/8th for outdoors. WRONG I have been racing 1/10 outdoors since 1982, they go just fine outdoors. So do not tell me that 1/10th is only for indoors when I have been racing them outdoors for 36 years, and before 1/8 electric was thought of.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.