Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Bulletproof 10th scale 4wd buggy > Bulletproof 10th scale 4wd buggy
Like Tree12Likes

Bulletproof 10th scale 4wd buggy

Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bulletproof 10th scale 4wd buggy

My son is turning 5 in a few weeks and I've told him that when he can get his Monster Beetle around the track competently I will buy him a race buggy like mine. I run Kyosho Lazer and Ultima, but while it would be useful to share spares it doesn't need to be like mine.

What buggies are bulletproof in the hands of a kid racing? It will have my old trackstar gear in it so won't be that fast (there is always EPA to slow it down too). I'm just looking for a cheap secondhand roller really. So anything to avoid as its fragile? Or just pick up any race level kit thats reasonably current so spares are still available?

My only requirements are that it is a 4wd buggy (2wd frustrates me at times so don't want him dealing with that) and won't break much, and if it does spares are still available. What are peoples thoughts?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default 4wd buggy

The most durable 1/10 4wd buggy on the market has got to be the Sworkz S14-2 This may be too much for the little dude, but once you drive his, you'll want your own. If you need Sworkz stuff pm me. .
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I like the look of sworkz but no one at my club runs them. I always thought they were more for carpet?

I should have mentioned its a low/med grip clay track...does that make a difference?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
I like the look of sworkz but no one at my club runs them. I always thought they were more for carpet?

I should have mentioned its a low/med grip clay track...does that make a difference?
No, the Sworkz S14-2 is multi surface buggy. Standard it comes with center differential which in turn would help make it more forgiving on the track. It has front and rear gear differentials . I've run mine on all surfaces and works great on all of them with subtle tunning differences.
As the Sworkz team manager , I'm trying to expose the US market to a diamond in the rough. It literally is a little 1/8 buggy. If you have further questions pm me. Also check out Sworkz.com or on Facebook USRC Imports. We will get you guys setup right!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raul Garcia View Post
No, the Sworkz S14-2 is multi surface buggy. Standard it comes with center differential which in turn would help make it more forgiving on the track. It has front and rear gear differentials . I've run mine on all surfaces and works great on all of them with subtle tunning differences.
As the Sworkz team manager , I'm trying to expose the US market to a diamond in the rough. It literally is a little 1/8 buggy. If you have further questions pm me. Also check out Sworkz.com or on Facebook USRC Imports. We will get you guys setup right!
So it really is better than my Lazer, I'm running ZX6 with slipper clutch not the 6.6 with the centre diff. I run gear diffs too, much easier maintenance than ball diffs.

I'm in New Zealand so it won't help your US marketing! I see them come up from time to timw on our local racer forum so will keep an eye out for them. New they are a pretty reasonable price here, much better than the Kyosho kits anyway.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

I have a good friend in NZ. He just so happens to be a Sworkz fanboy too.
As for being like the Lazer ZX6. It's similar to the extent of it being a rc 4wd buggy. The similarity stops there. Leaps and bounds over the Lazer in durability, tunning from the box ,not buying optional parts. You won't make a wrong choice with Sworkz. But good luck in whatever you choose.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

That Sworkz looks solid but I haven't really read anything about it before. Beyond that Tekno's EB410 is one of the most durable 1/10 4WDs. Dunno if there's many of those around as used roller, but it's something to look out for.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

The kids at my local club use xray buggies and they seem unstoppable. I would say put in a 13.5 and turn down the throttle end point and most buggies will be fine. Also run what most of the club runs and whatever spares are easy to get
rippen and jgil089 like this.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 249 (100%+)

The kicker with running a vehicle that isn't popular at your track is you are basically on your own. If you and your son run the same vehicle and you have support from that vehicles team for setups, etc and the price is right, it can be rewarding as it may get other people on board with the vehicle.

If you are a person though who likes to change vehicles a lot for whatever reason, you can take a beating in the used market if its not popular if you buy it new. Used in that case can be your friend so the whooping you could take isn't so bad.

In general though I don't think you recall can go wrong with any of the current model buggies out there for durability with the appropriate power. They were designed for mod, with a slower powerplant they should hold up quite well.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone. It will be running 17.5T blinky which will help too.

HB, Associated, Losi, Kyosho and Tekno are the most popular at the club so that gives a lot of options. I see Yokomo and X ray come up for sale a bit though too which are popular at other clubs but i know nothing about them. It sounds like these should be fine too
Old 05-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
My son is turning 5 in a few weeks and I've told him that when he can get his Monster Beetle around the track competently I will buy him a race buggy like mine. I run Kyosho Lazer and Ultima, but while it would be useful to share spares it doesn't need to be like mine.

What buggies are bulletproof in the hands of a kid racing? It will have my old trackstar gear in it so won't be that fast (there is always EPA to slow it down too). I'm just looking for a cheap secondhand roller really. So anything to avoid as its fragile? Or just pick up any race level kit thats reasonably current so spares are still available?

My only requirements are that it is a 4wd buggy (2wd frustrates me at times so don't want him dealing with that) and won't break much, and if it does spares are still available. What are peoples thoughts?
There is no "bullet proof" car, all can break, but some are more durable than others. Top three in my opinion would be Tekno, D413, Xray even the B64d is reasonably durable(never thought I would say durable and associated in the same sentence). The main thing with 4wd is to turn down the speed, 4wd is fun and fast but can get away from you especially with a young kid, but when slowed down its super easy to drive.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Of the 3 American brands, I think the B64 is the most durable.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I recently returned to 1/10 racing and wanted a tank of a buggy which could survive me learning to fly. Very happy with my choice of an XRay XB4. I chose the 2016 model 2nd hand and all I have done is clean and re-oil bearings and replace one ball cup. I have hit jumps at bad angles quite a few times with no damage whatsoever. Been hit by SCT a couple of times, damaged esc fan but that’s not the cars fault. I am moving to Tekno EB410 now that I am a little more confident in my driving skills. Also have an XB2 dirt - love it.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Got to be the HB D413 I had some not so good landings hit some pipes nothing.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

D413 hands down. Easily the most durable 1/10 4wd buggy. Iíve broken maybe 3 parts in 2 years of constant racing at a track with wooden barriers
tc5 man and jgil089 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service