Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Newbie Looking for Monster Truck Advice >

Newbie Looking for Monster Truck Advice

Newbie Looking for Monster Truck Advice

Old 04-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Newbie Looking for Monster Truck Advice

My son and I are looking at monster trucks. We saw the Redcat Volcano Pro, which looks like it has the things we want (4wd, brushless, Lipo) for $229 and thought it would be a good option. I've been reading for days and the reviews are all over the place, though mostly positive. Some say great, some great value, some stay away. Thing is, you can get that for every model.

A quick search here shows some "stay away" comments, but they are several years old. Things change...sometimes.

So, looking at a starting price of $229 and a willingness to go to around $300 for a saturday afternoon RTR park basher, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

Redcat has come a long way over the years and has revised the Volcano along with other Redcat vehicles over the years. After reading some of the reviews online, I was actually really concerned when I opened my first Redcat RTR but was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality of the vehicle. I have owned ARRMA, Associated, Hobao, Traxxas & Vattera RC vehicles and Redcat is as good as those brands.

The Volcano is one of the oldest but also one of the best selling Redcat vehicles. Personally, I feel the Redcat Blackout Pro is a little better and most of the parts interchange front to rear which means fewer replacement parts. The Volcano does have a lot of aluminum parts available so if you like to bling out your ride, then the Volcano would be better choice than the Blackout. The Blackout is more about keeping it simple but is a fun truck.

A step up from the above trucks would be the Redcat Caldera 10E monster truck which has beefier suspension parts, more suspension tuning options and a slightly larger footprint. The only downside really is the stock servo is on the weak side and recommend upgrading to the Hexfly 15KG metal gear servo. The Caldera 10E is a great truck but not quite as popular as the Volcano or the Blackout.

You really can't go wrong with any of the Redcat monster trucks. They are all above average and offer great bang for the buck.

Best regards,
Brian

Last edited by Bri; 04-29-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AtariST
My son and I are looking at monster trucks. We saw the Redcat Volcano Pro, which looks like it has the things we want (4wd, brushless, Lipo) for $229 and thought it would be a good option. I've been reading for days and the reviews are all over the place, though mostly positive. Some say great, some great value, some stay away. Thing is, you can get that for every model.

A quick search here shows some "stay away" comments, but they are several years old. Things change...sometimes.

So, looking at a starting price of $229 and a willingness to go to around $300 for a saturday afternoon RTR park basher, what would you recommend?

Thanks
FYI, there is a dedicated monster truck section. Navigate back to "General Forums", and you can find it from there.