First 1/8 Scale?

Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First 1/8 Scale?

Looking to get a new 1/8 scale for bashing. I'm leaning towards a buggy or truggy rather than something like a monster truck though. At first I was set on the ARRMA Typhon, but after all of the business surrounding Horizon Hobby and ARRMA, I'm worried about future parts support. I have also looked at building a kit like the EB48.4 but the idea of building a car from scratch is pretty intimidating. Any other suggestions? I'm primarily looking for durability.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldn't worry about the parts support; Arrma is sticking around and plenty of parts can be found on Ebay. Hopefully Horizon Hobby will work to get parts support up as time goes on; from what I've heard, Arrmas are really great, tough bashers. I'm finishing a DEX-8 myself that I will be maintaining with Typhon parts where I can. I would also recommend looking into the Talion or Kraton; their larger wheelbase and geometry will allow them to drive through/over more. It all depends on what you want to do with it, though! An EB48.4 would also be bulletproof because it's a Tekno, but it could easily be 1.5 to 2 times as expensive to get running. At the same time, Tekno does have good parts support and a great warranty. Would this project be for bashing only, or also for some racing?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

If you have any inkling about wanting to build a kit...do it. A kit should not be intimidating to a normal person. That is what you have manuals for.... Step by step instructions for making sure a RC is put together right. Having a kit and being able to put in what gear you want in it, that makes the RC a better value IMO. Of course, picking out a kit for a "basher" is easier said then done. It all depends on what platform you are going for.

A lot of times, a price tag is looked at first when trying to decide between a RTR, and a kit. Putting things into perspective; for a decent low budget basher electronics package, you're looking roughly at $200 for a radio, ESC, motor, and servo. Batteries, charger, and tools will be extra $$$ as well.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Building a kit can be a little daunting at first, but it's a lot of fun!

The Tekno is a great way to go for bashing. They're nearly indestructible and are plenty of fun to drive. On top of this, their warranty is insane. ANY part you break can be sent back to Tekno for 50% off that new part. Snap a chassis? Next one is half price. That's really hard to beat especially if you're hard on cars.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a Arrma Kraton, love it for bashing. Have taken it to the track a few times, pretty funny. It holds up well, handles decent, insane fast, jumps for miles. 6S is overkill but so much fun.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by naki View Post
Looking to get a new 1/8 scale for bashing. I'm leaning towards a buggy or truggy rather than something like a monster truck though. At first I was set on the ARRMA Typhon, but after all of the business surrounding Horizon Hobby and ARRMA, I'm worried about future parts support. I have also looked at building a kit like the EB48.4 but the idea of building a car from scratch is pretty intimidating. Any other suggestions? I'm primarily looking for durability.
If you are considering a kit, just do it. You will end up with a better vehicle. It isn't difficult to assemble. It does take time, but building a kit really isn't different from when you have to fix your car after something breaks. Besides, once you built it from the ground up, doing repairs won't seem intimidating.

And because you say bashing, you should already know that you want the Tekno.

The remaining question is, do you like backflips? If you like backflips, you want the MT410 (short wheel base truggy). If you just wanna go fast, the regular truggy is going to be a bit more stable. The truggy and mt410 are mostly the same, except for wheel base and body mounts.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Check out King Motor Explorer 1 or 2
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Basher? Arrma.