Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Getting back into the hobby

Hello there!

Feels good to be back... I have been out of the hobby for about 3 years, thought I'd try and get back into it. I'll soon be in the market for a new RC once I've sold my current ones (Xray 808 .28 and Mini Erevo). I've owned quite a few over the years such as the Revo 3.3 and original ERevo, HPI Vorza, and a Kyosho Mega Force back in the day.

So as soon as I decided I wanted to get back into RC, I headed straight to the Traxxas site to see if they'd released anything new in the past few years. I was greeted with the new ERevo 2.0, and I thought it looked pretty good, even though it is pretty expensive. I enjoyed my old ERevo I sold a long time ago, however I did feel that even on 6s it didn't have the blistering speed a was after.

I then had a look over at HPI, but nothing new. I enjoyed driving the Vorza when I had it - I was actually using the Castle 2650kv motor on 6s for insane speed, which was not recommended as the motor could frequently exceed 60,000rpm if I remember correctly.

Whilst googling Traxxas, I noticed that they've become involved with a manufacturer called Arrma. After doing a bit of researching I am left with a slightly sour taste in my mouth regarding Traxxas. I also did some research on this company that was new to me, and I gotta say Arrma make some kick-ass kits! I was very surprised, and now the ERevo 2.0 has taken a back seat in my mind.

So! Apologies for the long intro, I've now got my sights set on an Arrma vehicle! Having researched them all extensively, I STILL can't figure out which one will suit me best... Price is not necessary an object if it is justified. I've "narrowed" my choice down to these:

- Nero (w/ diff brain)
- hard to get in UK, spares availability?
- heaviest therefore slowest?

- Kraton
- Looks decent, heard the Talion is faster

- Outcast (found one used for £350)
- Similar to Kraton, marketed as more of a 'fun' truck
- not really liking the stock bodyshell

- Talion
- Leaning towards this the most, potentially fastest.
- But looks like the cheapest (eg. no mudguards or centre brace) but is more expensive than Kraton?

- Fazon (can't find in UK)

Avoiding the Typhon as I'd like a change from buggies.

And that's my dilemma! I just can't decided which one to invest in. I don't race, only bash - typically in my local park which has a bit of everything, including asphalt. I'm terrible at making up my mind, so any help would be truly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Avoid the Nero. While parts should be available for the near future. Long term now. The Nero lineup has been discontinued. It’s an interesting truck. Despite issues I liked enuff about it to keep mine.
Outcast. Solid truck with one flaw too me. The wheelie bar/wing mount. Ties into rear chassis brace. Bends and breaks too easy. 4 mounts and a bent chassis on mine.
Rest of Arrma lineup I’ve got no experience with
Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a V2 Kraton and like it quite a bit. Had it a backyard offroad track yesterday, it and my losi 8ight were the exhibition cars there. Kraton not at all suited (stock anyhow) for racing, hard to steer it around on a 1/10 track, but its a blast and ridiculous on 6s.

If I were going to rewind and go with a truggy I would probably get something more race oriented. but for bashing and speed runs the kraton is wicked. Mine is stock except couple teeth up pinion, on 6s it has went 65 mph.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the answers

Having been out of the hobby for 8 years, I don't understand why brushless vehicles have only now become mainstream. Why is everyone treating it like it's the new thing?

8 years ago I was running the E-Revo and HPI Vorza, both on 6s lipo. 8 years later and it seems nothing's changed, apart from the lipo discharge rate has improved slightly. Prices are still the same, performance is still the same, why the hype? Everyone's raving about crazy 6s power, but it's been around for nearly a decade... Am I missing something?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Arrma brought in a lot of new to 6s people. Lot of us are still waiting for 8s and up to become more common.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

8 years ago I was running the Vorza with the CC 2650kv motor on a Turnigy 6s 5000mAh 30C lipo. It was a blast, very quick. And the buggy was super strong too. The whole package set me back around £500, which is cheaper than what would be today!

Would you say these new models are any better than the Vorza or Savage Flux?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ReV:-O
8 years ago I was running the Vorza with the CC 2650kv motor on a Turnigy 6s 5000mAh 30C lipo. It was a blast, very quick. And the buggy was super strong too. The whole package set me back around £500, which is cheaper than what would be today!

Would you say these new models are any better than the Vorza or Savage Flux?
Vorza has kinda been in its own class. I think the Arrma Typhoon buggy is larger. But it’s been awhile since I’ve seen the typhoon in person. I’ve got the Vorza and had the Savage. For most part still solid vehicles. The problem has been the new owners of Hpi. They’ve struggled for 2 years keeping up with parts demand for vehicles. eBay has been best source for anything Hpi for 3-4 years.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

After watching a lot of Youtube videos, I think I will go for the Talion. I feel if I go for anything else, I'll be disappointed. Watching the Kraton pass speed runs at 50mph, it looked so slow. It won't give me the adrenaline rush I'm looking for. I was very unimpressed when I had my brushless e-revo on 6s many years ago.

That just leaves the Talion, which for some reason is more expensive than the Kraton even though it seems to be less equipped (e.g. no mudguards). Not sure why it costs more. I don't like the fact I'd have to immediately upgrade the Kraton's tires out of the box, which is another £60 straight away.

I'm also confused as to why the Talion V2 box stated 60mph, but the V3 box states 70mph?

The Typhon looks nice for speed, but I'd like a change from buggies having already owned a Vorza 6s, Hyper 7 6s, and Xray 808 .28.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ReV:-O
After watching a lot of Youtube videos, I think I will go for the Talion. I feel if I go for anything else, I'll be disappointed. Watching the Kraton pass speed runs at 50mph, it looked so slow. It won't give me the adrenaline rush I'm looking for. I was very unimpressed when I had my brushless e-revo on 6s many years ago.

That just leaves the Talion, which for some reason is more expensive than the Kraton even though it seems to be less equipped (e.g. no mudguards). Not sure why it costs more. I don't like the fact I'd have to immediately upgrade the Kraton's tires out of the box, which is another £60 straight away.

I'm also confused as to why the Talion V2 box stated 60mph, but the V3 box states 70mph?

The Typhon looks nice for speed, but I'd like a change from buggies having already owned a Vorza 6s, Hyper 7 6s, and Xray 808 .28.

My Kraton is geared for 65 mph currently and I use that gearing for bashing, actually raced it at a buddies house off-road with that gearing as well. That is on 6s obviously. Slow is definitely not how I would describe it. If you want to jump and bash the Kraton is probably better suited, if you just want to go fast Talion probably.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Tech Prophet

The marketing department decided 70mph on the box looked better the 60mph. Didn’t see any listed difference.