Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Most efficient way to change diff oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Most efficient way to change diff oil?

Every time I want to change the oil in my E-buggy diffs, I get all neurotic about it and end up taking them all apart and cleaning them thoroughly because I'm afraid the residue of the old oil with a different viscosity will affect the performance of the diffs.

While I know that's probably the best way to do it, that's far too time consuming to do on race day, so I'm looking for some tips in the most efficient way to get the old oil out and the new oil in. To reiterate: not to clean diffs, but simply as a setup change.

For example: What's the best product to clean out the diff housing quickly? Which parts do you/don't you take apart when doing a quick oil change?

Any help is welcome, thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fearo
Every time I want to change the oil in my E-buggy diffs, I get all neurotic about it and end up taking them all apart and cleaning them thoroughly because I'm afraid the residue of the old oil with a different viscosity will affect the performance of the diffs.

While I know that's probably the best way to do it, that's far too time consuming to do on race day, so I'm looking for some tips in the most efficient way to get the old oil out and the new oil in. To reiterate: not to clean diffs, but simply as a setup change.

For example: What's the best product to clean out the diff housing quickly? Which parts do you/don't you take apart when doing a quick oil change?

Any help is welcome, thanks.
I do it simply by taking the diff cover off, then put a paper towel down on your work surface and put both halves of the diff upside down so the oil will drain onto the towel. Wait 10-15 minutes. The spider gears may have fallen out of the diff if so put them back in and fill it up with your oil of choice.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I clean them thoroughly. I think that it would mix with the dirty/lighter/heavier as well lol.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The most best way IMO is to buy an extra set of diffs. When you want to change just get the spare set filled up and swap them over. Then you can take your time cleaning the original diffs and changing the oil when you have time available without having the put the whole car back together at the same time. Then just keep swapping them out as you need.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
I clean them thoroughly. I think that it would mix with the dirty/lighter/heavier as well lol.

I don’t think you would tell a diffrence with a small amount of old diff oil left in with the new .
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Prophet

I usually just flip the diff cup down and let the old oil drain and refill Inless I’m rebuilding a diff
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you wanna get all OCD about it, take it apart, pull the O-rings out, set them aside, let gravity pull the oil off the parts initially onto a paper towel and then throw the parts into a sealable jar of mineral spirits overnight. All the metal and plastic comes out brand new and squeaky clean, all of the oil residue is gone.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

He's talking race day.

If you're trying to be serious about it then go with Zinergy on this. Pull out the 1st. Put the 2nd one in. Tear down the 1st and let it drain while you go back out to practice, etc. Maybe rub down with a towel for any excess. Other than that, move on with your life.
On a GT platform in the past I had entire transmission cases ready to go due to time. Couldn't get there the day before or was part of running the show so practice time was extremely limited for me. So 6 screws and a brake lever. line it up, bones in, screw and go.

If funds are a concern, just dump it out.. wipe out excess, fill and go. It's not going to be a deal breaker.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I don’t think you would tell a diffrence with a small amount of old diff oil left in with the new .
OCD mang....OCD

I now just need 1 more spare diff and I have front center and soon to be rear on standby just waiting to be filled
Old 04-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Just wipe/dig out as much as you can. You won't be able to detect any difference if a tiny bit of the old oil is left. The oil starts to change a little after the first few runs anyway. I think it's worth while to pull out the outdrives & grease them.
billdelong likes this.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 AM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

safety glasses and brake cleaner?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
safety glasses and brake cleaner?
Brake parts cleaner is not good for the seals, and he doesn't want to take the diffs far enough apart to take the seals out so he can use brake parts cleaner.

The easiest and fastest way to clean a diff out is to open it up and dump out whatever you can, then use some thin shock oil (I use some 15wt that I will never use in my shocks) to break down the thick diff fluid so it can be poured out of the diff, after that a paper towel will wipe most of the old fluid away.
STLNLST and RogerM like this.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

the tiny bit of residue will not harm or affect your new oil....if you want if ur OCD is enacted then buy a parts washer and take it all apart ..clean it all good ..LOL..
Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
Brake parts cleaner is not good for the seals, and he doesn't want to take the diffs far enough apart to take the seals out so he can use brake parts cleaner.

The easiest and fastest way to clean a diff out is to open it up and dump out whatever you can, then use some thin shock oil (I use some 15wt that I will never use in my shocks) to break down the thick diff fluid so it can be poured out of the diff, after that a paper towel will wipe most of the old fluid away.
+1

Or you can use PT DiffClean which is about the same price:
Diff Cleaner Solution 4oz [4ozdiff-cln] - $10.99 : Welcome to LutzRC.com, Ultimate Performance, Exceptional Value
Old 04-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most efficient way is don't do it on race day.

I don't race, but when I would go bash and pretend race I'd bring a few diffs already built but with different weights. I'm guessing there is probably too many variations in weight that you want to run for that too be feasible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.